25Hz Tapped Horn

CECAA850

For best distribution, you would be better off moving the couch forward as much as you can, and putting one in the center of each wall. You head position will be as critical as the woofer location, if not more.

Claude,

The couch can't go any farther forward.  There are only three usable walls.  The bass with 2 subs, one in each front corner, is more than fine for my needs and desires.

The question then becomes whether, given the size and configuration constraints of the small space, adding 2 more subs is worth it.

Multiple sub placement has probably already been addressed in other subwoofer threads.

I highly recommend the newest Beta version of REW. It has a room simulator that does a pretty thegood job of prediction on sub placement. It's the last button on the top right. See my Super Heresy mod thread for a pix.

Where is REW "the last button on the top right"?

I know on FLH's combining subs will give a little more extension, not sure about TH's though.

I'd play around with placement.  I might even try 2 behind the couch facing up, mouths together with 2 on the front wall..

I'll try two behind the couch. The designer of the subs says that more subs, means more SPL , but not lower extension.

• 2 months later...

Happy Black Friday!  On this day after Thanksgiving, I'm thankful to Carl aka CECAA850 for starting this thread that led me to these fantastic little subs.

So far I've used only 2 of the 4 subs I made at a time.  The output from just 2 is amazing.  Perhaps later this long weekend I'll have time to get all 4 going at once and report the results.

In the meantime, I'm giving my single driver/tapped horn sub system a workout with streaming music through Roku from Pandora, Amazon Cloud & Rdio.  The heartbeat from DSOTM and the bass in Hotel California (live acoustic version) from Hell Freezes Over sound great from just a pair of the Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz TH subs recommended by Carl.  If the high resolution files through Pono player (see https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148831-neil-youngs-pono/page-4) make a significant improvement, I'll be very happy.

I'm glad you like them, my daughter loves hers.

It's funny you should bring this thread back to life.  The day before yesterday my daughter complained about a constant hum in her room.  She had previously complained about an intermittent popping that would scare her when it happened as she listened to music.  I unplugged the amp and all the issues went away.  Bad amp.  It was a 240 watt Dayton that I'd had for a quite some time.  A while back, I had bought two 25 watt sub amps from Claude.  They had been sitting unused since I bought them.  I grabbed one and wired it in but got no sound.  No power light either.  The fuse was good so I chalked it up to a bad amp.  Grabbed the second one and all was good.  The gain is about half way up on the little amp and it keeps up just fine.  It's amazing how efficient they are and how little wattage they actually need to make noise.

• 1 month later...

Can you still get this kit? I think this would be perfect to put in my listening room my heresy 2's need something and I've always wanted to do one of these DIY kits. Also I'm not sure if I would need to purchase another amp as there are no "sub" inputs on my peach or Macintosh 2105????

Can you still get this kit? I think this would be perfect to put in my listening room my heresy 2's need something and I've always wanted to do one of these DIY kits. Also I'm not sure if I would need to purchase another amp as there are no "sub" inputs on my peach or Macintosh 2105????

Look HERE

They also have the driver.  If they ever run out of kits, the plans are on the avsforum.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.  The sound improvement from 2 subs to 4 subs is startling.  The bass is more natural sounding, but most surprising is the perceived improvement to the upper frequencies and imaging.  I haven't tried any arrangement other than what's shown in the attached scaled  drawing.  Based upon the results so far, as well as the small space available, I might never get around to moving the subs.

Since adding the 3rd and 4th subs, neither the subs nor the speakers are recognized as sound sources, unless right next to them.  I have to convince others that the rear subs are actyually playing.  All four subs are playing at the same output level and are limited to the range from 25 Hz up to 80 Hz, where the single drivers take over.  Since the higher frequency cues to bass sounds come from the front speakers, the perception, for example a stand-up bass, is that  it is at the front of the sound-stage.

My speaker odyssey is over, at least for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: 12/20/2015

Photos deleted to free up server space.

Edited by DizRotus

Diz that's cool did you build these yourself? What size room is that? I have tried many Klipsch speakers trying to get the bass I love and have finally come to the realization that I prefer a sub for my 2channel listening. My listening room is not that big, I'll take some pics today and provide measurements....I don't mean to hijack this thread but I believe the size of this particular sub is perfect for my room and should blend well with either the Heresy or Chorus.

I have zero woodworking skills but my dad can help, I pulled the cut sheet thanks to Carl for the link, and to be honest it looks real simple even for a novice like me.

Diz that's cool did you build these yourself? What size room is that? I have tried many Klipsch speakers trying to get the bass I love and have finally come to the realization that I prefer a sub for my 2channel listening. My listening room is not that big, I'll take some pics today and provide measurements....I don't mean to hijack this thread but I believe the size of this particular sub is perfect for my room and should blend well with either the Heresy or Chorus.

I have zero woodworking skills but my dad can help, I pulled the cut sheet thanks to Carl for the link, and to be honest it looks real simple even for a novice like me.

RH-

The size of the small space (~10.5' x 11.5') is indicated in the attached scaled drawing above.

I built them from flat-packs from DIYSoundgroups. http://www.diysoundgroup.com/anarchy-th.html  The CNC dado cuts made assembly a breeze.  Dealing with Erich is a pleasure.  Using the cutsheet and substituting a Tang Band driver would cut the cost slightly.  IMO, the relatively small incremental cost of the flat pack and using the Anarchy Exodus driver, for which the sub was designed, was worth it.  If interested, contact Erich at DIYSoundgroup ASAP.  I asked Erich recently how many flat-packs are left, to which he replied, " 2 or 3."

I was trying to interest my brother in a pair.  He thought he might get my second pair, but they're not going anywhere now.  He doesn't seem to be interested in the flat-packs.  You snooze, you lose.  When the flat-packs are gone, Erich is unlikely to order more.

Size is a relative term.  The 6.5" Anarchy Exodus driver allows a relatively narrow enclosure.   The two in the front corners don't take up much space in the room and are perfect "stands" for the mains.  The 2 behind the couch all but disappear.

I doubt Carl would consider this a hijack. 

One attached photo shows a trial fit of the panels (no glue, nails, etc.); the CNC dado cuts are perfect.  The alpha designations were highlighted with a black marker for the photo.  The others show the work in progress.

Send me a PM and I'll provide my email and phone if you want to discuss this further.

EDIT: 12/20/2015

Photos deleted to free up server space.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

6.5" driver?

No wonder you need four of them :)

You don't need 4 for SPL, just room smoothing.  Don't get me wrong, they're not SPL monsters but the have surprising output for a 6 1/2" driver that's flat to 25 Hz.  My daughter has only one in her bedroom powered by a 25 watt plate amp paired with a couple bookshelfs.  It's way more than enough in there.

• Like 1

6.5" driver?

No wonder you need four of them :)

Dtel has two Spuds which use 8" drivers. He claims they keep up with double stacked MWMs woofers and K-402's with no problem. My friend built 3 SPUDS and they peel the skin off your back with the right soundtrack.

So I'm not surprised a Tapped Horn loaded 6 1/2" driver can work. It's better to have 4 smaller woofers spread around than one bigger one or two medium ones. DizRotus heard one of my systems (a few years back) when I had a tapped horn with a Single 12" Lab driver. The guy I sold it to has big MWM stacks and he claims it sounds great and only wants to build one more.

• Like 1