25Hz Tapped Horn

CECAA850

What are you running them with? Mine are sitting now but I'm pondering them on my computer setup possibly soon but have to figure out an amp. Don't wanna do inuke on them as it is just overkill. Was thinking the 150w dayton amp that has a low pass crossover

Scrappydue,

I am soon to implement an INuke for mine, which will free up a Dayton 240 that has already been modified per Lilmike's recommendations for HPF. It's yours for $50 with shipping included. PM or email if interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got them done here is the twins before coating with duratex.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3yub8MsksaQaVhkVVNVWXlxa0k&authuser=0

First coat down

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3yub8MsksaQTXVYeVQ4ZVY2UDg&authuser=0

Not the best pic but here they are finished. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3yub8MsksaQNHJwY24tT2VLQjg&authuser=0

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I sniped a NIB Tang Band W6-1139SG off eBay, so, naturally I need to build one more of these.

The plan is to also make some stands so my son can get the pair of Heresy I gave him off the floor. The sub and the stands will be a surprise housewarming gift for his new (to him) condo in Alexandria, VA.

The problem is that flat-packs are no longer available from DIYSOUNDGROUP. Erich is, apparently, concerned about infringing on Tom Danley's designs. I bought a new Diablo blade for my tablesaw, so I can do it from scratch, but I'd much rather start with a CNC cut flat-pack. Those dado cuts make it almost shameful to call it DIY. If anyone knows of a flat-pack project that never got off the ground, I'm interested.

Expecting to buy a sheet (or more) of quality plywood, I'll take photos and start a new thread.

Edited by DizRotus

• 1 month later...

What are your thoughts regarding using 0.5 Baltic birch ply for the top, front, back & Sides but using 0.25 Baltic birch ply for the baffles? I've got a 5 x 5 sheet of each.

It will change the interior volume but I don't know how much it will effect things.  I'd use 1/2" on the baffle board though.

What would you think about building a pair of these to use as base units (no pun intended) under a pair of Belle's? I could make them blend in well with the Belle and the size is almost perfect when laid flat. I do not have the space in my living room for anything much bigger. I do not need concert level spl but do crank the system from time to time. I noticed Rockhound is using a pair of these with his newly acquired La Scallas but have not heard how they paired up or if the add enough deep base to keep up with the high output of the mains.

Two would be great, three would be perfect.

In my small space, the difference between 1 and 2 was remarkable, the difference between 2 and 3 was slightly less dramatic. The difference bnetween 3 and 4 was neglible. Soon I'll have 5, as I'm building one from scratch (no DIYAudio Group flat-pack) for my son to utilize a NIB Tang Band W6-1139SG I scored off eBay for a song. Naturally I'll try 5, but I'll give one, or perhaps a pair, to my son.

Edited by DizRotus

Made some sawdust yesterday, cutting up the 5 x 5 sheet of 0.5" Baltic Birch for #5. I'm going to miss the Dado cuts of the DIYAudio Group flat packs, but this is truly DIY. The flat packs were too easy to be true DIY; kind of like an IKEA customer fancying him/herself a furniture maker.

I decided to make the whole thing from 0.5" stock, leaving the 0.25" stock to make 2 pair of "Mini-Karlsonator" single-drivers. One pair for my younger son and one for my niece. They both have tiny apartments. These will be perfect for listening to music when IEMs won't suffice. If you're curious, the DIY Audio thread is:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/239338-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds.html

The attached photos of the mini-Ks show my black foam core prototype and a finished pair made by someone else. My 25 yo son was so impressed with the foam core prototype, I decided to make a real pair from Baltic Birch ply. While the novelty of foam core is undeniable, it's too much work to make "throw-away" speakers.

EDIT: 12/20/2015

Photos deleted to free up server space.

Edited by DizRotus

What would you think about building a pair of these to use as base units (no pun intended) under a pair of Belle's? I could make them blend in well with the Belle and the size is almost perfect when laid flat. I do not have the space in my living room for anything much bigger. I do not need concert level spl but do crank the system from time to time. I noticed Rockhound is using a pair of these with his newly acquired La Scallas but have not heard how they paired up or if the add enough deep base to keep up with the high output of the mains.

I think a pair of Table Tubas on their side would work better,  Much more output.