25Hz Tapped Horn

CECAA850

What would you think about building a pair of these to use as base units (no pun intended) under a pair of Belle's? I could make them blend in well with the Belle and the size is almost perfect when laid flat. I do not have the space in my living room for anything much bigger. I do not need concert level spl but do crank the system from time to time. I noticed Rockhound is using a pair of these with his newly acquired La Scallas but have not heard how they paired up or if the add enough deep base to keep up with the high output of the mains.

I think a pair of Table Tubas on their side would work better,  Much more output.

Thanks, it was probably wishful thinking on my part, but the size of the tapped horn looked perfect for what I had envisioned and looked like a simple build (no kit). I will look into the table tuba. I have heard about them but never saw the build design.

never saw the build design

Here's one THREAD

I did follow that build, forgot how big it was! I think that is way too large for my living room and set on it's side and used a base, it would raise my Belle's 2 feet! I am using these for music only no HT (or organ music). I think I am going to build one of the 25 hz Tapped just for fun to see if it helps. (I would enjoy building it either way) if it works out, I will build a second one so I can raise both speakers.(once I have the router files set, the second one will be a snap).

Thanks for the pointers.

When you purchase the plans ($15.00) they give you all the driver options and recommended widths.  The wider they are the more efficient they are.  I'll see if I have a copy here somewhere and tell you how narrow you can go.  If not, I'll have to look tonight when I get home.

it would raise my Belle's 2 feet!

They can be built much thinner with an 8" driver.

You may be on to something. Where can I get some guidance? If it is simple math (reduce volume by reducing depth) I can give it a shot!

Minimum width of the Table Tuba is 12" but it works best 1-2" off the floor so factor that in to your total height as well.

The Tuba home theater (THT) can be built using a 10" driver and a 12" width but is sealed and does not need to be placed off the floor so if height is a concern it may be a better option.

Plus the THT plays lower notes, offers lower distortion and would be a better choice if the floor space is available.

Feel free to PM me for details or ask at the BFM forum if the slim THT is an option for you.

• 2 years later...
On 7/10/2012 at 3:54 PM, CECAA850 said:

It's thin enough that you could stack 2 or 3 in there.

I am doing a system in an 96 318i bmw convertible I just got a good deal on. Ads hcca 4 inch componets replacing stock door and rear speakers. 2 8 inch shallow mounts under the dash. Have a stock square 8 inch cut thur ( from trunk to cab.)that I stuck a bazooka tube in. (Goodwill find for 12 bucks) How would this sub work with this system, looking for good sq. I like the idea of only needing 100 watts or less to power, thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 12:07 AM, muel said:

I built one. It's a great sub. I did a review:  

https://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16134&p=166407&hilit=mustang#p166407 

It ended up in the trunk of a 68 Camaro. Sold the car with the sub. If you are near Minneapolis, there is one for sale https://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24784 for $100

• 5 weeks later...

Are you referring to this one?

If so, the woofers and the plans might be available from DIY Sound Group, but I doubt it.  I purchased four flat-packs from them years ago and they now have no record of my orders on their website.  If the excellent Anarchy Exodus woofer is no longer available from DIY SG, a Tang Band is a suitable substitute -- I built one from scratch using a TB.  I still have the "plans" I used.  Feel free to send a PM and we can discuss this further.

.  In any case, if you haven't seen this thread, it would be useful.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1238398-reed-exodus-anarchy-25hz-tapped-horn.html

• 2 years later...

It’s been almost three years since the last post in this thread.  Time for a bump.

As you can see, my basement man cave is more of a man phone booth.  After years enjoying 2 channel with the four Exodus Anarchy subs positioned as shown in the photo, I decided to experiment a bit with placement.   Initially, the subs were positioned with the mouths near the floor and facing the corners.  Each pair is powered by a single iNuke1000dsp.  The crossover to the “Supered” HIPs with Crites CT120 (DE120) tweeters is at 80 Hz.

Tonight I turned the sub at the far left 180 degrees so that the mouth is still near the floor but faces toward the couch.  Going clockwise, the next one was left as is with the mouth near the floor facing into the corner.  The next one going clockwise was also turned 180 degrees so the mouth, still near the floor, is pointed away from the corner toward the opposite corner.  The remaining sub was turned 180 degrees and flipped 180 degrees so the mouth is at the top and facing the couch.

My initial impression is favorable.  Test tones at 20 Hz and 25 Hz  still vibrate the space.   Playing tracks with known good bass content sounds great.  Does it sound better than when all four faced into a corner at floor level?  It seems to but that could be placebo effect to justify the exercise.

@Lbk, @CECAA850, @rockhound, @MookieStl & @mustang guy

68E97DA2-D7D3-43F2-ADF2-3C589440372A.jpeg.24a491c9912392e17a862403f3fdb648.jpeg

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

While you're playing put one upside down and another right side up onto of it with the mouths next to each other.  One pair in each ft corner.

These dry Januarys lead to long wet Februarys. I have read that several times. Still no idea what you said.