25Hz Tapped Horn

CECAA850

My spud is still raw birch, as once I got it done I put it in the HT to do some listening, and the thought of moving keeps from from doing any thing more to it.

Have you had a chance to play with the new one yet?

My spud is still raw birch, as once I got it done I put it in the HT to do some listening, and the thought of moving keeps from from doing any thing more to it.

Harbor Freight has platform moving dollies. One that would hold the SPUD would run around $15.00. Really makes things easy. I bought one when I did the F-20 build and it really impressed me with how effortless it was to move that big chunk of MDF around.

Perhaps what they are saying is that the woofer would not be able to keep up with the midrange and tweeter horns, let alone the main's woofers. That makes sense as the mid horn for a LaScala is bigger than the mouth of the sub you just built.

Not rain on anyones parade...the box is a nice design for what the designer intended which was a deep sounding sub in a small foot print and admittedly....the compromise is max SPL. The plots over on the AVS forum show 25hz to 100hz +- 3db at a max SPL of 87db's. So making a center channel out of the box would be problematic using a k-55 and k-77. You would still need a woofer since the sub is +- 10db after 100hz and the SPL tanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You could cut an access hole if the need ever arose but it's a really stout driver. The box is made for a small room and if used in one will provide ample volume without getting crazy with the volume knob. The only time I'd imagine you'd blow it is if you put it in a larger room. It would be the wrong choice in that application to start with.

Well I could build two for about the same of a single 18. I had planned on building a single 18 and adding a second later. Already bought an inuke 3000 for the living room. So we will see. I might just build a single to play with then keep it for the bedroom later or something. Might be a perfect box to learn how to veneer on as well. Or maybe I should do a smaller one lol. Who knows.

It would be a great box to learn how to veneer on as the right angles are perfect. Much better than I can cut as they're cnc'd. A single 18 will most likely go lower and louder though (a guess). These boxes only need 100 watts or so to max them out and are very efficient.

Both movies and music. My downstairs setup is mostly home theater that's why I have four sealed 18's. Upstairs was gonna do half that since they are so cheap to build. And I've wanted to do a horn for a very long time. But zero woodworking skills. Thought this flat pack would be a fun introduction to them