25Hz Tapped Horn

CECAA850

Carl-

Is the kit still available? If so, from whom? I read most of the linked thread and couldn't find the answers.

Also, why do 3 identical thumbnails appear In your posts? With the new forum's frugal attachment quota, you might be burning your data allowance. I've had to go to recent posts to delete attachments to free up data for new attachments.

Edited by DizRotus

Scrappy, as far as reference levels, it would be close, it all depends on how lossy the room is. The coverage would be awesome, most likely wouldn't need any EQ.

You have to remember these subs were made to be small and go low. Hoffmans iron law dictated you'll give up output. There's extension, output and small size (I'm paraphrasing). You can only have 2 out of 3.

Build one and play with it, see what it can do and if it's right for your application. If not, use it in a 2 channel setup. You can never have too many subs :D. If you like it, get 3 more.

Edited by CECAA850

Carl-

Is the kit still available? If so, from whom? I read most of the linked thread and couldn't find the answers.

Also, why do 3 identical thumbnails appear In your posts? With the new forum's frugal attachment quota, you might be burning your data allowance. I've had to go to recent posts to delete attachments to free up data for new attachments.

I believe the kits are still being made, I'll see if I can find you a link. I don't know why there's 3 pics per post, it must have happened when we transferred to the new forum. I'll see if I can go back and delete 2 of the 3.

Carl

Carl-

That's very interesting. How does it sound with the Lepai?

It's actually in my daughters room. Her stereo is a compilation of old stuff I've used over the years. It's a Kenwood 2 channel receiver, 2 Infinity bookshelf speakers, with the tapped horn that's being driven with a Dayton subwoofer plate amp. It actually sounds really good.

They are currently out of stock according to the site, but the seller will probably be putting them up when he gets his packing material. You'll need to keep checking for an "add to cart" throughout the week, unless you have a way of contacting the seller directly.

Erich can be contacted directly through the avsforum. I believe his username is ErichH. you should be able to contact him through the diysoundgroup site also. I'm sure he'll be shipping any day now.

I've been in contact with him regarding them. Nothing still out of him. I'm sure he is extremely busy. Carl, I'm afraid if build one and love it they will be sold out. And I think two isn't gonna make me happy so I think as long as the wife doesn't flip out, I'll buy 4 and flank my entertainment center with two, and then put two behind my couch maybe in the back.

Don't get me wrong, it will work but setting up multiples isn't as easy as singles or duals. The 2 suggestions I gave are from a Harman whitepaper on ideal sub placement of multiple subwoofers, that's why I suggested them. In your case, I'd either lay the 2 subs down and stack them or put them directly side by side. You'll gain output that way as the subs will couple. Place 2 directly in front of you and 2 directly behind you.

You can use a minidsp for that as well as a high pass filter. I'm running this particular horn, a T18 and a tabletuba without one and they sound good. Time aligning drivers makes a difference in critical listening but a majority of people don't do it. If you think about it, the bass bins in a K-Horn, Belle or Lascalas aren't time aligned and they sound pretty good. If you're going for a 10 tenths system then I'd do it. You'll need some measuring equipment or need to be really good at math to figure out the delays.

i have measuring equipment. but no clue how to "properly" setup per the equipment. only time i have ever heard a sub not time aligned was at a avs get together with mark seaton and some of jtr's S2 subs were like a quarter second behind the catalysts, and it was just creating a hall like echo and was absolutely terrible sounding.

You can set the sub up by ear a couple different ways. If you have a plate amp with adjustable phase, play some music with a good bass line while having someone adjusting the phase on the sub. Once you head a good attack and delay with no smearing of the notes, you're darn close. if you use a pro type amp with no phase adjustment, you can adjust the subwoofer distance setting in your AVR to accomplish the same thing.