Texas Horny Toad

Gilbert

In elementary school we used to take bobbins of thread from our mothers sewing boxes and tie the thread around the big red ants from the playground. In class we would let them walk around as we played out line. Eventually we would reel them back in. We also made boats out of index cards on the ant scale and let them sail on their "yachts." I really miss those big red ants.

Ever hear of white face bumblebees? To be honest, I am not sure ANY bumblebees sting, but we used to hunt diligently for those rare ones with a white splotch on their front end. We believe these not to be able to sting and, indeed, the few I ever caught did not. We'd take them and put a thread around their necks and fly them...at least until they were decapitated at which time they sort of crashed...[:o]

Did the same trick more commonly with the big black june bug flying beetles. No stinkn' battery powered remote control helicopters for us!

Dave