...GPS

Speedball

You'll want a base that supports it and won't slide around on a dashboard. I think I got one below at Best Buy; it's shaped almost like a violin belly, is very adaptable to the dips and swooshes of a dashboard, and quite sticky on the bottom. Also at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035JL4V2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&keywords=garmin%20base&qid=1342545614&sr=8-5

Garmin 010-11280-00 Portable Friction Mount

Forget the worthless suction cups or other smaller, less functional bases.

I'm familiar with some of the hand-held Garmin and Magellan models. You can't go wrong with these brands. Personally, I think the Garmin is more intuitive, but it's also newer (by about 5 yrs.) than either of my 2 Magellans. Get 1 with a color screen, you'll be happy you did.

I have yet to see a current dedicated GPS I like. I have a Garmin Nuvi and it doesn't even do the basics, like let me specify conditions for a route or do my route on Google Maps or whatever and transfer it. Easy stuff that costs them nothing, but it isn't there. It can't even learn anything. If I am driving a repeat route through areas it doesn't have info for it doesn't even offer to add it. Fundamentally dumb program.

While apparently some can be, this one can't even be updated...another thing that costs them nothing. Trashable.

I started doing GPS navigation back in the mid-90s with laptop and DeLorme which remains my standard of performance. Can't understand why these guys can't deliver that performance after over a decade and a half. I could say "Use this highway" or "Avoid whatever" or simply draw a road and it would update and remember.

Dave

In the old days you had a bunch of slaves carrying a wooden chair thingy for transportation through the countryside. I'm wondering what model GPS they used?

(Just "funnin" guys)

JJK

I have one of those wooden chair thingy's, but I use it for...... well, we won't go there..... Never Mind.

I have had several and Garman has always performed the best and was easiest to use. I have Nav on my Droid and in the city it works OK but when you leave service (which I often do) the Garman with it's built in maps just keeps on telling you where to go (if you like that sort of thing) when the Nav on the phone is searching for signal and is useless.

I have used Garman in the air and on the ground (Pvt Plt) and I have always gotten where I wanted to go. I use the GPS or at least have it on for 95% of the time I am in the car.

I'm not saying phone nav is bad, I use it too but it does have it's draw backs. I have used stand alone programs I purchased and I have used the free stuff that cmoes with the phone (nav tied to Google maps) and the free stuff works just as well as any phone nav I have purchased and better than some too that I have bought and used but I still will keep my Garmin with me. YMMV!

I don't drive much, so buying a GPS unit seems like an extravagance to me, but I'm pretty happy with the Google Navigation app on my phone.

The phone's running Android 2.2, not even the latest (4.0), but it does turn-by-turn spoken prompts, has map or Google photo view, and lets me just speak the destination.

Here in BC, using hand-held devices while driving is prohibited, so the phone has to be clipped to the dash anyway (I use a Bracketron mount). It's easy to to hit the button, tell it where you want to go, and you're off.

Also, the vertical orientation makes more sense to me, since the road you're on is more important than seeing all the side roads.

Yep dash mounted here too, both phone and GPS.

I find the wide view easier to orient to. The few times that the GPS shows a VERY up close view, it is more like looking out the windshield of the car than you might think, to ME (YMMV) it is more "natural" wide VS tall and narrow. A lot also depends on how you setup your display, I tend to use the "road view" style of setup, showing the directions as if looking through the windshiled rather than a "map view" looking down at a map. Then there is the whole thing about map view preferences of do you want North up or direction of travel up and the whole screen to rotate like a top while the nose of your car points "up"

Lots of ways to sking this cat! [;)]

• 2 weeks later...