Center channel for RB-81IIs

ddafoe

I'm planning on building a 5 channel system (my room is 11.5X17) for movies using RB-81IIs as the fronts and RS-52IIs as the surrounds.

For the center I'm thinking of either:

1) RB-81II

2) RC-62II

3) RC-64II

Does anyone have any idea how 3 RB-81IIs across the front will compare to using the RC-62II?

Being the tweeter is different than the one used in the RB-81II, I'm assuming the RC-64II would be a better match for the RF-7II but does anyone have experience with mating it with the RB-81II?? Plus, would it be overkill for my smaller room? I know the center channel carries a lot of the 5.1 sound which is why I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for the center compared to the fronts/surrounds.

Thanks!

Three identical speakers are actually going to give you a perfectly seamless front soundstage. However all three would have to be level with ear height. That's why most of us go for the normal center channel which is designed to be a shorter wider speaker. But if you could swing a third bookshelf and have it standing I bet you would love it. If not the rc-62 would be great as well. My opinion is that the 64 is way too much in a small room and also I'm not a fan of different tweeter sizes. Others don't care as much as I do. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

I'd stay with center channels in most cases unless your doing top end tower speakers, a rc62 should be fine but if you have doubts and dont want the upgrade bug again just get the 64 it'll sound fantastic and youll have no regrets, the sound will match just fine

I've used a bookshelf speaker as a center with great results. It was an RB35 (similar to the RB81) stood up between two RF25's (similar to the RF62's) and the sound was in fact seamless across the front. While I do also believe that the RC62 would suffice, I agree with the suggestion to get the RC64 if it's within your budget. You're right, it was meant to be paired with the RF7's. But it should sound pretty darned good with the 81's and would also allow you to upgrade to the RF7's later without the added cost of having to get a new center to match. Also, then the RB81's could be used as surrounds if space allows for it. Let us know what you decide :)

I would agree with what above two said. I think rc62 is your best bet for right now. It is a great speaker. The rc64 is a big step forward and too much for your rb81's. Not that it will sound bad just much bigger, more expensive and obviously louder. If you feel the need to upgrade in near future then go rc64, if not, I would go for a used rc62 and you can always sell it off in future and if taken care of you will only loose little to no $.

Alex

The only mistake I made on my first Reference setup was buying an RC62 instead of an RC64 . . . At the time, the RC62 was a perfect match for my reference fronts and surrounds . . . The moment I upgraded the fronts, the RC62 never could keep up. The RC64 would have. My recommendation is that if you ever, even vaguely think you might get bigger fronts, go with the RC64, because you can always db it down to balance with what you have now. If you upgrade the fronts ever, well, just about guarantee the RC62 will not be able to keep up. When I upgraded my fronts and continued using the RC62, ever channel change and during every movie, I had to constantly fiddle with the volume on the center RC62. But, if you are happy with what you have and never intend to upgrade your fronts beyond like RF82s, then get the less expensive RC62 which works great with what you have. All the best in your decision.

The RC 64 if calibrated to the system and set the same as the other speakers, it should deliver the same spl as the 62. for movies. You may find a slightly larger sound stage when listening to music. I ran the VC 25 with my 7's and for movies I had no trouble hearing dialogue with all the speakers calibrated to the same SPL from autocalibration. The VC 25 is rated 75-300 watts compared to the RC 62II, rated 150-600 watts. I would buy the best center you can afford to avoid the upgraditis bug.

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. On eBay I've noticed you can get a Refurbished RC-64II for $900 or a Open Box RC-62II for $400. Being this 5 channel system will only be used for movies and my room is pretty tight with the other stuff I have in there I'm guessing I'll not likely upgrade the RB-81IIs to anything larger. My gut is saying save the extra $500... If I could see myself upgrading the Fronts to something larger than I definitely think the RC-64IIs would be the way to go. I'll try to get a price for the complete 5 speaker set with each center and see if buying in a complete set will shrink the difference in the center at all. I'm guessing they don' thave much room to move on these open box/refurbished pieces. I'll let you know what I end up doing. I just got my projector mounted last night and I have a Emotiva UMC-1 and NAD 5 channel amp all setup, so I'm only missing the 5 speakers to start enjoying home movies.

Do us a favor and google acousticsounddesign.com. And call and ask for mike. He will most likely answer the phone as he is the owner. But tell him what you like and you will

Be blown away of how good of a deal can be had on brand new stuff with a warranty. Let us know what you end up getting!

I game Mike a call and told him my story and he thought the RC-64II would be overkill for both my room and the RB-81IIs. So I went with the 62 along with the 81s and 52s. They should arrive next week. I was very happy with his prices... It's taken a while to get this room and setup together so I will be looking forward to my first movie [:)] I still need to buy a screen but I painted my front wall gray and I must say projecting directly on the wall looks great and will suffice until I can find (e.g. pay for) a screen...

Cheers

Great job of wrestling with it, getting good advice, following through . . . Now you have a great setup in the end! Just make sure you have some stands For or mount the RB81s to get them around ear level and then crank it up! Congrats!

I game Mike a call and told him my story and he thought the RC-64II would be overkill for both my room and the RB-81IIs.

That says a lot about Mike's character and ethics. A lot of companies would of over sold you to increase their volume / quota. He has been very good on all of my past purchases. [Y]

Kudos Mike!

Enjoy that new system ddafoe!

I actually have an older but decent Infinity IL-120 sub. I plan to use it for now.

I would like to get a HSU VTF-15H sub but I cannot justify it at this time. I still need to buy a projector screen, although so far movies have looked great on my gray wall.