Bases for Cornwall IIIs

ddafoe

Has anyone tried wood bases for the Cornwall IIIs? I have my speakers sitting on carpet and I wonder if they may not perform better if I could place them on wooden bases to better de-couple them from the floor. Mapleshade (http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Speaker-Stands/departments/60/) offer some nice walnut ones but they are not cheap. I was just curious if anyone has tried something similar and if there was any sonic improvement (e.g. maybe tighter bass or better imaging, etc...)

• Moderators

I just left mine on the original risers, I always thought lifting a speaker from the floor reduces the bass. But it may do as you said tighten the bass I'm not sure, I have not tried it. Our Clll's are in our bedroom in two corners which tends to add bass but the room is only like 12 x13 or something like that and the bed is tall so it's not critical listening in there anyway.

I'm a big fan of decoupling speakers from the floor. I've spiked RF-7's and a RSW15, as well as some others. Spiking the sub showed the most impovement as it kept the bass in the room and no longer shook the whole house. When it was sitting on the floor, all the energy transferred to the floor and the walls. Once up on spikes, the bass is much tighter and you can hear the sound from the driver and not the cabinet resonance. This being said, I do prefer to actually connect spikes to the cabinet rather than just put the speaker on a base. Below is a link with some other type outriggers which may be another option to consider.

http://www.oregondv.com/

post-13790-13819739424968_thumb.jpg

post-13790-13819770088858_thumb.jpg

post-13790-13819797216276_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Spiking the sub showed the most impovement as it kept the bass in the room and no longer shook the whole house.

Might have to try that sounds like it would be worth trying.

I wonder if heavy wheels/casters would do the same thing ? The sub is big (long and tall but skinny) and between the wall and others speakers pointing up and not easily moved. ?

post-11804-13819739433452_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819770097056_thumb.jpg

post-11804-1381979722533_thumb.jpg