A Little Choice Help?

Rhetor

OK . . . Thought long and hard before posting. Please, please, Know I am not bragging or looking for accolades. Just trying to do the right setups and need some advice.

First, I have been able to collect now what I only dreamed of as a kid. I am an empty-nester who no longer is paying college tuition for two kids for the last two years! Hang in there young parents . . . You will get your life back someday! We do staycations and been putting together the vintage stuff I always wanted to as a young father and never had the extra money to. Been collecting a while now and need to make some final choices and then sell off (eventually) the extra speakers I do not need.

I am trying to finalize two setups . . . Have an 11.1 setup in the HT and doing a music and video setup for the lovely wife in her home office/music room. So far, I am just not a dedicated two channel guy, though I have a 2 channel setup in my workshop with a pair of less than pristine K-horns. I am needing help deciding, mostly because I do not know HT setups with vintage speakers. And I am tired of moving speakers around between two floors in a two floor log cabin!!!

I have to decide the last tweaks of the setups, what speakers to stay and what speakers to retire to storage (with a pair of KG2s and a pair of RB61s) for now. . . .

Here is what is in the HT 11.1 setup in addition to the sub: pair of K-horns, Belle center, Belle side surrounds, rear La Scalas, Heresy wides, Heresy heights. (Even in 11.1, my receiver only activates 9 channels--I have to choose each time to leave off a pair of Heresys or the rear La Scalas any time I run the AVR, because it will only truly function as a 9.1.).

In my wife's office setup to be 7.1, in addition to the sub: La Scala fronts, Belle center, KG4 sides, and KG4 rears.

Here is what I am wondering . . . I am just "wasting" both pair of Heresys as heights and wides using them in the HT? Should I move all four Heresies to match in my wife's 7.1 setup, and thereby have just two 7.1 setups in the end? If I do the later, then I will need to move both pair of KG4s to storage. (I will not be moving the less than pristine k-horns out of the shop--they are definitely happy in the 2 channel system there and I have no corners in my wife's office and no more corners to put them in the HT.).

So, in the end, two speaker matching 7.1 systems; or just keep it like I have it: a perfectly matched 11.1 system and an unmatched (with 2 pair of KG4s in it) 7.1 system?

(I have a little staycations going now to get this stuff done and never move another speaker, well, a maybe.)

I use a 9.2 setup and like the Front Height channels. Some movies use the extra height channel and some use the surround back. My avr will choose which set to use. Even though only 7 speakers work at any one time, I like the setup. Front Height for TV and multi-channel music. I don't think the wide channels are as important. With systems in two locations, you can't go wrong.

So . . . I am basically wasting a set of Heresys using them as wides?

I use a 9.2 setup and like the Front Height channels. Some movies use the extra height channel and some use the surround back. My avr will choose which set to use. Even though only 7 speakers work at any one time, I like the setup. Front Height for TV and multi-channel music. I don't think the wide channels are as important. With systems in two locations, you can't go wrong.

Not exactly wasting a set of speakers, but better to choose either wides or front height. There are an increasing number of BD using 7 discretes channels. In the past the height channels turned a 5.1 setup to a supercharged 5.1(7.1) system. Mainly it is all up to individual preference and what works best in your room. Wides dont' work in my setup due to the room layout. Wides, front height and surround backs will have one set of speaker in left field with very little action. In non-action movies I like the height channels, some action movies I use THX Select 2, with the surround back, Jazz/female vocals-DPIIZ. All the different formats are nice depending on the source.

Thanks, Derrick . . . I finally decided move the Heresys to my wife's office with the Center Belle and La Scalas. Then moved the KG4s to the HT for 9.2 switchable to fronts or heights, depending on the movie action. Sometimes I like two channel in there with the K-horns, most of the time I go multi-channel (9.2) stereo, and always 9.2 for movies. In the end, I feel the Heresies are going to be better utilized in my wife's home office as part of a 7.1 setup. Thanks again for your help!