ElipTrac-400 2-way Mike's build thread

I'm in build mode agin & the ElipTrac 400 Horns have me fascinated big time

I'll be redoing my 4 CornScala's into 2 ways

just have to get my order into Dave

I'll start slow 2 at a time DIY horn assy, EDIT: That changed I'm doing all 5 @ once ! I'll build a all new center cabinet as well .

I'm Jazzed been Really bored as heck .. as of late ... Now I have a plan loooking forward to putting the kit together ....

I wonder how they will sound with my CS-1.5's as highs / wides & these Elip-cornscalas as mains & surrounds ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can not comment on the comparision between the CS-1.5 over the ElipTrac-400 in a 2 way Corn Scala , until I get these built .

But I can say the CS-1.5 is a solid performer for me as a center , height & wide , They are the reason I am up-grading to the ElipTrac-400 . They showed that there something lacking with the CornScalas with the CT-125 Tweet & the Atlas /Klipsch stock 1" driver & the PH-800 horn lens

I really liked the CornScalas that Bob Crites supplied the mod parts for but as this was one of the early versions , I think he has very much improved the newer versions . I find it's hard for me to find the words that would describe the difference between the 3 way CornScala & the CS-1.5 a 2 way , I can say they sound Great both in the same mix when I run them all at the same time . The 2 way just seems to be a more presence at play .

Running 9 Hertitage style speakers in a Home Theater is a very Dynamic & Stunning

I'm now looking at building a top enclosure for the horn & network ,

I feel that the volume of the ElipTrac-400 is too much displacement inside the stock Cornwall cabinet

When I added the PH800 horn ,that horn assy wasn't as huge as the 400 is . Plus this will allow me

to have the horn assy higher to the plane of ear level . I will just seal up the present holes by adding a new motor board .

I am entertaining moving the woof up to the highest part of the cabinet OR at least move to the center .

basicly the Cornwall cab will now be a bass bin only . I like the size as is , that allows for a smaller foot print

depth is a issue in my room , it's better to go high & wide rather than deep for the WAF issue.

also by have a top hat so to speak that is seperate ,I can add a feature that would make the enclosure move up & down so that the horn could be aimed with a high degree of precision

ordered the 2" driver...............

going with a B & C DE750-16

Wow Fastslappy that is the same approach that I am taking with my Cornscala build. I am building mine from the ground up though and instead of using a single 15 inch woofer, I am using 4 Dayton Pro-10's, just like Johnny5. Definitely keep us updated as I am very interested in knowing how you feel that the 2 way versus 3 way debate turns out!

Wow Fastslappy that is the same approach that I am taking with my Cornscala build. I am building mine from the ground up though and instead of using a single 15 inch woofer, I am using 4 Dayton Pro-10's, just like Johnny5. Definitely keep us updated as I am very interested in knowing how you feel that the 2 way versus 3 way debate turns out!

Yeah I'll keep this thread quite active , no worries there I'm chomping @ the bit to get started

As far as the reason I'm doing this build thread is because ,

1st .... I was Soo helped by other member's great build threads here @ this forum. Those threads really helped on my 1st build when I was doing the conversion of my 4 '73 Cornwalls into the current CornScalas I now enjoy .

2nd .... Tossing my ideas out there for the members to comment on ,really did help me avoid many (& I do mean many) mistakes.
That feed back from the many kind & helpful members saved me a lot greif on my build.
3rd .... to advance the knowlege base of the CornScala concept .
I'm not the smartest when it comes to the design & concept of speaker building ,I do follow advice of people who clearly know more than I do .

I think if you ask Dave The Elip400 is ok in a Cornwall cab. If you want splits thats a positive route. The single cabs simplicity has me charmed right now.

the addition of a split cab is my leaning for two reasons the horn is higher nearer the plane of ear level , add in that I can aim the horn precisly as well

2nd I can make the bass bin in a designer style front with a single opening + the port

then as pointed out on another build thread , i'll have the easy change up of horn/drivers as needed .

my current cabs are doubled walled except for the motor boards so now I can very easily dbb that too.

Guest David H

Here are predictions of the box with and without the Eliptrac

I estimated the Eliptrac uses up approximately .5 cuft more air space than the K-600 and K-77 which changes the LF response by 2Hz, however re-tunig the port for the reduced air will easily get you back to the desired fc.

Dave

post-24405-13819740012072_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819770665464_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819797850996_thumb.jpg

Here are predictions of the box with and without the Eliptrac

I estimated the Eliptrac uses up approximately .5 cuft more air space than the K-600 and K-77 which changes the LF response by 2Hz, however re-tunig the port for the reduced air will easily get you back to the desired fc.

Dave

I could place a .5 cubic sized block of wood inside the cab .That's what told Al I was gonna do. Thanx now I don't have to guess the size :)

I quit guessing these things , I was going to do a displacement test but it's involved & messy ( I use sand in a controlled sized box)/you've saved me hours of time & a mess clean-up

Dave that must be Great to have all those toys to figure this stuff out with :)

HEY quick question Dave , is that a half round file being used in the DIY guide for the ElipTrac-400 ??

I checked my rat tail file ,it's seen better days Amazon Prime is send me 2 new files , I await the 5 kits .... check is in the mail ...

HF drivers will be here Monday ,went with the B & C DE750-16

It is, but lately I just use 36 grit sand paper for the shaping, them move to 60 grit to fine sand before primer.

Dave

Dave have you changed any of the ways that you do the assembly of the ElipTac-400 ? Now that you've done them for awhile have figured out any tips & tricks that made the process go easier , than the outline that you have posted on your website ?

Guest David H

Actually the way I show on the instructions still works well, bu t I have changed the way I do it.

I no longer assemble the horn in sections, I now fully assemble the horn then sand.

I dont use a rat tail file anymore, now I use a piece of 2 inch pcv pipe with a sheet of adhesive back 36 grit automotive longboard sandpaper attached. This sands much quicker than the rat tail, and lets me get down the throat more easily.

The finish sanding is still all done by hand and and is very time consuming.

Dave