Older 5.1 Receiver as Amp

Incloud

Hello guys (and Gals). I recently started thinking of upgrading my system and while looking around for ideas came across the option of adding an external amp to my existing Yamaha RX-V765 receiver. Not only would I like more power but my receiver is limited to a single crossover setting for all speakers. Really wish I'd known more before buying the AVR. I now would have purchased a unit with Audyssey and individual crossover capabilities. But I'm stuck with it now or lose out on a good chunk of cash upgrading. Not rich like some, LOL. While it would be nice to purchase an XPA-3 for my Fronts and Center, right now funds are tight. I have an older JVC RX-668V collecting dust in my room. Actually, I forgot I had it until an article out there gave me the idea of using it as a standalone amp in line with my Yamaha RX-V765. The Yamaha has pre-outs, the JVC does not. I have been trying to get it to work right with no luck. I'm not quite sure if it is possible or not. I have managed to get it to power my fronts and center by running out of the Yamaha pre-outs for Front L,R and Center into the DVD RCA inputs on the JVC. The sound comes out very muffled and almost as if they were a surround speaker. I have toyed around with all the settings I could find on the JVC with no luck. At one point I think I had it connected to CD on the JVC and got normal stereo sound through the Fronts. The sound was very clean and full but could not get the center to have sound. I know I am doing something wrong but have no idea what to do. I'm thinking that because the JVC is a 5.1 receiver and not just stereo, it can not be done or I have to disable something for it to act as an amp only. I'll list my gear below and provide links to the two AVR's. Any ideas that could get this working correctly would truly help me until I am able to learn a little more and purchase the proper upgrade for my existing components. Thanks in advance for all support on this matter and I hope that I have been somewhat clear.

Components

Yamaha RX-V765

JVC RX668V Manual

Klipsch WF-34

Klipsch WC-24

Klipsch Synergy Sub 12

Klipsch Quintet 5.0 Surrounds

A Post on my website displaying my system (minus the JVC)

If there is any more info needed, please let me know how I could help. I truly appreciate any time and all replies. Bobby C. (incloud design).

You can't cheat the audio Gods. Most of us, including me have purchased audio gear that we were not happy with. Trying to work around a bad purchase will not have a happy ending in most cases. If you need more power and really, really want to be able to xo all of your speakers at different points, you need a different amp. There are some good deals to be found new and used.

I drive one receiver (older 2 channel Denon) with a newer 7.1 Denon pre-outs and it works just great. The 7.1 powers the center speaker and the sub also and the rear and side 5.1 speakers. The volume control on the 7.1 controls everything with the volume control on the 2 channel set (fixed) to balance everything.

JJK

Thanks guys for your response. JJK, that's awesome that you have yours working. Mine is not working and that would be the reason for this thread. I am not an audio God, nor do I know one. I have heard a lot of people get it to work. I'm just trying to figure out how to get what I described working. Or will the JVC RX668V not work? Thanks again!

If your JVC receiver does not have "main in" RCA inputs, I don't see how you can use it as outboard amp. This is a diagram of the NAD T773 that I have. Notice on the left the 3rd bank of inputs that say "MAIN IN". This is where you would normally add a preamp of some sort to use the receiver as an outboard amp only.

T773_Dos_G.gif

If your JVC does not have any "main in" jacks, I would not even try it because you may end up damaging everything in the path.

If you insist on adding more power, save a little $$$ and just buy a reasonably priced 120w to 150w outboard amp.

This NAD amp in the link below is an excellent amp for the price.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/nad-c270-stereo-amplifier

Adding even a 2-channel amp to power your mains will free up more power from your Yamaha's receiver to power your center and surrounds.

Bill