New Addition D Style Cornscala

Frank1938

I just completed the finish of a style D Cornscala that Bob Crites designed for me. The top contains the Faital Pro LTH142 Tractix Horn with the Faital Pro HF 140 Driver. The bass cabinet contains the CW1526CF woofer. He designed the crossover network to cross at 700 hz. They are great sounding speakers mated with the McIntosh 225. Bench test of the 225 shows output at 32 wpc. I think it is an excellent two-channel system. Thanks, Bob, for all of your suggestions and help. Picture is attached. I hope?

Frank

post-26363-1381973953704_thumb.jpg

post-26363-1381977020067_thumb.jpg

post-26363-13819797330294_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Both are great sounding speakers in their own way. The soundstage of the "D" is much wider and the bass is a little tighter. The sensitivity also seems a little higher. I really like the larger horn and can see why the cornscala has become so popular among Klipsch fans. They certainly fill the room with sound but they are more revealing on poorer quality recordings. Choosing between the two-way and three way is difficult but I tend to like the sound of the two-way more.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Frank 1938, do you still have the Cornscala D's?

Or have you moved up the chain to something else?

I have had a couple different pairs of Cornwalls and a pair of Epic CF-3's now and am quite happy with my modded CW2's, but having heard the larger horn of the Epics can't help but wonder where it all will end!

The Cornscala D has been on my mind far too long now.

I think it needs to be on my living room floor!

• Like 1

Geoff. Yes, I still have the Cornscala D's and still like them very much. I'm using a new McIntosh 275 with them now and the sound is much fuller with a great soundstage. I don't think you will be disappointed with the D but I don't know if the D will be better than the CF-3s. Haven't heard the 3s.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2012 at 3:38 AM, Frank1938 said:

I just completed the finish of a style D Cornscala that Bob Crites designed for me. The top contains the Faital Pro LTH142 Tractix Horn with the Faital Pro HF 140 Driver. The bass cabinet contains the CW1526CF woofer. He designed the crossover network to cross at 700 hz. They are great sounding speakers mated with the McIntosh 225. Bench test of the 225 shows output at 32 wpc. I think it is an excellent two-channel system. Thanks, Bob, for all of your suggestions and help. Picture is attached. I hope?

Frank

P1010133.JPG

P1010133.JPG

P1010133.JPG

Very nice job...

tc