Scored a pair of Altec Lansing Model 19s...end to seller's remorse!

Awhile ago, I sold my Altec Lansing Model 19s and subsequently suffered a severe case of seller's remorse. I posted a WTB on the Klipsch Garage Sale section seeking another pair. Several of you offered good suggestions for finding a pair. Many thanks!

Yesterday, I scored a real nice pair. (I made a 17+ hour round trip drive to get them. That's how bad it gets sometimes, I guess.) I attach a photo taken just after I moved them into the living room this morning. I do have the grilles too!

This may be an odd posting on this forum, but I know many of you are fans of this speaker and would share my enthusiasm for locating a pair. These guys are in even better cosmetic condition than my original pair, a few dings and scars, but really in quite nice shape for thirty-five year old speakers.

I am in heaven!

Enjoy your music!

George

post-22480-13819739583628_thumb.jpg

post-22480-1381977024609_thumb.jpg

post-22480-13819797381654_thumb.jpg

" (I made a 17+ hour round trip drive to get them. That's how bad it gets sometimes, I guess.)"

Most all of us here can relate to your statement at some point in our lives. [;)]

Congratulations on getting a second life with the Altec's.

Great looking speakers, George . . . Did my own 17 hour round trip a couple of months ago for a pair of Belles . . . Both your roundtrip and mine . . . Completely rational and justifiable . . . One day (and gas and a trailer) for years of sweet music,. Congrats on no longer regretting your regrets which you regretfully temporarily regretted but regret no more because you have replaced the regretted Altec 19s with even nicer ones! They sure look awesome!

Great for you GR! 17 hours WOW you do have it BAD. Now call the Darst's, rebuild those crossovers and do the lug bypass. Enjoy!!!

I will definitely get ahold of the Darsts for new foams. I did that on my first pair and they certainly made a difference. The Altec engineers knew what they were doing!

I have thought that I might redo the crossovers at some point...I'm unfamiliar with the term "lug bypass". Can someone enlighten me on that one?

Many thanks,

George

GR as I remember it, on each of the 19's crossover plates, there are rivets that are connected to the circuit board, that due to age, cause resistance that degrade the sound due to oxidation. The fix is to ground the rivets with a wire jumper. I haven't done this myself, because my 19's came with outboard crossovers that bypass the originals. Many have had great success doing this quick fix. If you search the A board under m19 ground lug, you should be able to find it. If you have trouble finding it let me know.

"Completely rational and justifiable" eh? Sounds good to me. Yeah, that 17-hour drive will result in, likely, hundreds of hours of music listening pleasure. These are the only speakers I have ever owned that can produce goosebumps when I listen to big orchestral music. Last night I listened to the conclusion of Mahler's 2nd Symphony. Goosebump time!

These big ol' efficient horn speakers can really pump out the music when necessary...no sense of compression, sonic congestion or strain, they just pour forth the music, and in such detail! Wow!

George

Arky,

I paid $1,200.00 for this pair. Walnut veneer, all original components, very good condition.

Might have scored a pair for less if I was willing to wait or dicker. The seller said I was the first of about one-hundred phone calls he got for them. He said he was getting calls on them even after he took the ad down off of Craigslist. Maybe a mite of exaggeration there, don't know for sure, but I'm delighted to have them in any case.

They have been in the house for over a week now. Lots of hours listening to all kinds of music. Everything sounds great.

all the best,

George