Penn State busted: Big Time!

Daddy Dee

The NCAA sanctions are indeed, unprecedented. IMO, they should be. If a college football program is not a safe place for children, then it is nothing. In this case, the perverse shielding and permitting, by powerful university officers, of a predatory coach raping young boys in the shower to go on for years.

I would say it's more than completely unacceptable, but those aren't strong enough words. As the NCAA said, there are no sanctions that can repair the damage and pain of the victims.

It is what it is. I intend no offense toward the good people in all associations with Penn State and Penn State football. There are many, many innocents that are hurt in the whole thing. God bless all of them.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-state-hit-60-million-fine-4-year-bowl-ban-wins-dating-1998

The sanctions are unbelievable. What it looks like is that they are only allowed to even keep the football program open just so that they can pay the fines. They can't compete with the handicaps of the sanctions.

This is worse than shutting the program down.

It will be interesting to see how hard Penn State fights about this. There is controversy about whether the NCAA has the authority to do all this.

If it wasn't for the money (fine), I think Penn State might just take it quietly. But the money issue might make them fight.

Mark, yeh. The sanctions are devasting. It's hard to imagine trying to recruit athletes when their entire collegiate football experience would not allow for any post season games. The NCAA intends to take the Penn State program down to the foundations to completely rebuild the culture. The $60M fine is roughly equivalent a year's income for the football program.

The sanctions are unbelievable. What it looks like is that they are only allowed to even keep the football program open just so that they can pay the fines. They can't compete with the handicaps of the sanctions.

This is worse than shutting the program down.

It will be interesting to see how hard Penn State fights about this. There is controversy about whether the NCAA has the authority to do all this.

If it wasn't for the money (fine), I think Penn State might just take it quietly. But the money issue might make them fight.

PSU signed a consent agreement. If they try to fight it or back out, the deal's off and the NCAA can get really tough.

I agree they won't fight it. For one thing the money has to go to anti-abuse programs not associated with the school. Even if they could, fighting that is even worse publicity. Just because the money comes from the football program however doesn't mean other students are not affected. Football money helps fund other athletics which do not bring in the revenue. 60 million out of a school is still 60 million out of its budget. Part of the problem is thinking of athletics as a separate part of a school. Remember these are supposed to be students not just athletes. It is this part of the culture in the entire country which needs change.

60M represents 1 year's GROSS. They may only net 15-20% or less of that annually once university expenses are considered. That is a HUGE multi-year penalty, not 1 year by any means.

I'm still interested in their reaction. I still think they will resist this result.

The Penn State University administration will NOT resist this - it was their own contracted investigation that revealed the depth and tenure of the criminal conspiracy, and I'm sure the Freeh investigation worked diligently and hand-in-hand with both the NCAA and the PSU Board of Trustees, keeping them informed. PSU has already signed their consent of the findings andthe penalties.

Bear in mind the PSU Board of Trustees paid $6.5 million for the eight month investigation. The Centre County Prosecuting Attorney's office has an annual budget of about $1.7 million. The NCAA's compliance department has something like fifteen lawyers, total. Neither the state of Pennsylvania, nor the NCAA has the resources and money to completely and thoroughly conduct a criminal and NCAA compliance investigation, so they have taken the Freeh report and utilized the findings for the NCAA's quasi-judicial infractions and fines.

Everyone involved realized there was a loss of institutional control, and I think everyone realized a long, drawn out investigation would eventually cripple the entire university. Nothing is ever going to be completely understood or even proved beyond a reasonable doubt to some, so it is best to be brutally quick and efficient in the punishment phase, and have the option to address more punishment if needed at a later time.

The criminal cases continue. Hopefully the healing for the victimized children can continue. Today is another good day for them, after two decades of bad days. May God give them the grace and strength to heal.

Now, let's talk about something good at PSU. Penn State students hold a dance marathon every year to raise funds for the Four Diamond Fund, for cancer research in children. Last April they raised over $10 million for the Hershey Medical Center. How many people are aware of this? I looked for coverage on the sports channels, the news channels and local newspapers. I found nothing. Penn State was just ranked 34th in the world as an institution of higher learning, yet I saw nothing mentioned about this in the midst of the scandal. Maybe it is time to elimate the program and concentrate on what they do well: teaching and research.

Said and done,

Frankly I think the punishment is on the light side.

Covering up (at worst) or ignoring (at best) criminal child abuse deserves the harshest punishment possible in my view.

I see today's "sanctions" as nothing more than a slap on the wrist. I hope that the civil litigation that is forthcoming bleeds them dry.

Any institution be it corporate or educational that actively hides or ignores clearly criminal activity deserves the full weight of the legal system to fall down on it.

Just my opinion of course. I’m sure that there are some who will disagree.

I don't remember reading anything about the football program, 1998 to date, participating in the abuse. I love it when the Crimson Tide kicks PS's a$$, I just don't understand why the efforts of past players should be wiped from the history books. Seems harsh in that regard to me.

K.

From what I have been reading this sounds correct. Penn State did pre-agree to whatever the NCAA came up with to get htis behind them as quickly as possible. But man-o-man.........it's going to be painful

The NCAA gave them 2 choices. Accept the current deal or receive the death penalty for up to 4 years.

That is unprecedented as far as the NCAA is concerned. This whole thing with Penn State really does hit home for me. I've lived in that area for 12 years and was a HUGE Penn State fan. I've been on that campus numerous times, even visiting friends there over weekends while I was in college. Hell, I was even accepted there, but opted for Clarion instead (just liked and preferred the smaller school better).

After seeing and hearing about what happened, that is really a tragedy in my opinion. Should the whole school suffer the errors of a few? No! I think the whole idea of 'bleeding them dry' and/or shutting down the whole university is utterly ridiculous in my opinion. I think what the NCAA handed down is quite appropriate. As was already said by the NCAA president, no amount of sanctions is going to undo what has been done to those victims. I am of the opinion of why punish those that had nothing to do with this via shutting down the whole school? Or even those that just wanted to play football by taking away the entire program?

With that said, looks like I'll be rooting for Ohio State (Go Buckeyes) from now on. I'll have to ask one of my best friends here, who is a Penn State alumni what he thinks about this whole affair.

Steve,

I think your take on it is why the NCAA didn't bring the death penalty. They didn't want any more suffering among those who were innocents in the wrongdoing. As it is, the athletes are given waivers to transfer with no loss of elibility. Others choosing to stay can maintain their scholarship even if they don't play ball. that's more generous than i would expect.

Born and spent my childhood in Altoona, Pa. so some roots to the school.

I will probably get fried for this but here is my outlook.

All persons who were part of this either by knowing or doing should be fired and then receive the highest penalty possible in the judicial system.

The sanctions given have nothing to do with what happened, it was politics. To burn the entire school is ludicrous and not needed.

If it is then ALL "institutions" should be held accountable for what there "employees" do and receive similar penalties. If it was not Penn State and Joe it would have been page 2 news and the normal civil judicial system would have taken care of it.

$0.02 nothing more or less.

All persons who were part of this either by knowing or doing should be fired and then receive the highest penalty possible in the judicial system.

They were fired, now they need to be held accountable.

The sanctions given have nothing to do with what happened, it was politics. To burn the entire school is ludicrous and not needed.

It's not called politics, it's called justice. What in the world are you talking about, "To burn the entire school"? The football program has been heavily sanctioned, not the school or it's students. Athletes in the football program are free to transfer to another school without penalty if they wish.

If it is then ALL "institutions" should be held accountable for what there "employees" do and receive similar penalties

That is exactly what happens here in the USA. For example in the BP oil spill disaster BP had to pony up because of the actions of their employees, and for the actions of employees of other companies on that rig because BP was supposed to be in control of the rig.

And if you think the NCAA's penalties are the end of it, just wait until the civil lawsuits from the victims start getting filed. It's not over yet for the school and persons involved in this mess.