Thoughts on mcintosh setup

rennoc442

Ok so I am going to finally get my dream setup!

Mcintosh mc7205/mx134! I could never afford this setup new, but used is just as good to me!

Now what/how should I connect the 2 together? I was told to use RCA cables, not the pin connector. Does this sound right?

Omg you guys have no IDEA how excited I am, it's been a dream since I was 15 to own Mac gear!

I don't know those models, I only had the MC-2102. I'd say wire them either way that works best for you. (I presume you refer to RCA verses XLR?)

I used XLR in my setup but had to because of other parts of the puzzle.

My guess is you're going to love it either way!!

I don't know those models, I only had the MC-2102. I'd say wire them either way that works best for you. (I presume you refer to RCA verses XLR?)

I used XLR in my setup but had to because of other parts of the puzzle.

My guess is you're going to love it either way!!

Yes I am mean the XLR cables vs RCA. I was told the RCA's will provide better quality sound?

I'll leave that answer to those who know more about that.

I think that if the RCA works fine, then it would work fine but not provide "better" sound. If anything, the XLR would give you a better connection that would help to reject any negative sound issues.

Meaning, if they both work properly, you might not tell any difference. If you have some other issues (interfeference issues with electrical wires for example) then the XLR's might reject that better than the RCA's, therefore "sound" better than the RCA's)

If you don't have any of those issues, I'd wonder if they'd sound more alike than not.

Well right now there is no issues since I don't have it setup. The seller said that the higher quality RCA cables will provide better signal then the XLR. But to me the simplicity of the one XLR cable vs 5 RCA cables makes it appealing, a cleaner setup. Am I wrong?

The seller said that the higher quality RCA cables will provide better signal then the XLR. But to me the simplicity of the one XLR cable vs 5 RCA cables makes it appealing, a cleaner setup

Couple things.

(disclaimer) I don't know much about your units, but did a lookup and found something about it online

It doesn't look like the 134 has "XLR" outputs (at least on the document I found). It does however, appear to have some kind of linkup to a power amp where you can use one cable. Not knowing anything about this link, I have no idea what might sound better. I can see where one cable is cleaner than several however, absent someone else knowing details or simply trying it, I'd personally look into both setups to see what my ears tell me.

It looks more like a PC's parallel port or a large serial port. I can see where one might think (right or wrong) that some RCA's might work better than this however, if all this is doing is conducting an electrical signal, I'm in no position to say what might sound better.

If I'm looking at the right document, your 134 doesn't have any "XLR" type outputs. Being a McIntosh, I would have expected it to have them, interesting.

Here's a PDF I found, it shows the "Parallel" cable that connects them. (pardon my calling it a parallel cable)

http://www.audioclassics.com/brochure/MX134.pdf

Here's what a balanced (XLR) connector would look like. This is the plug itself, not what the receptical on the McIntosh would look like. It's about the size of a quarter, perhaps a bit smaller.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=464144&Q=&O=&is=REG&A=details

Well right now there is no issues since I don't have it setup. The seller said that the higher quality RCA cables will provide better signal then the XLR. But to me the simplicity of the one XLR cable vs 5 RCA cables makes it appealing, a cleaner setup. Am I wrong?

I think it is either 1 RCA or 1 XLR per channel. On my 252 it has 1 per channel.

Mcintosh mc7205/mx134! I could never afford this setup new, but used is just as good to me!

Now what/how should I connect the 2 together? I was told to use RCA cables, not the pin connector. Does this sound right?

Omg you guys have no IDEA how excited I am, it's been a dream since I was 15 to own Mac gear!

No thoughts on the connections but, owning a McIntosh setup is like having the Holy Grail for us audio enthusiast. Congratulations! This all about sharing our dreams with other forum members.

No thoughts on the connections but, owning a McIntosh setup is like having the Holy Grail for us audio enthusiast. Congratulations! This all about sharing our dreams with other forum members.

Thanks! That's why I am posting here to share my dreams of finall getting it!