2nd Sub Advice . . .

Rhetor

Wanting to add a second sub to my Heritage HT setup. I currently run a Martin Logan Depth i (3 balanced 8" woofers in one cabinet; specs @ http://www.martinlogan.com/products/depthi). I want to integrate a second sub. But, I want to keep the Depth i . . . ML subs are amazing, but not common. Been hard to find a Martin Logan Depth i or Descent i local pre-owned to match. So, I am looking for a second great sub of any brand that will integrate and compliment the one I have, something pre-owned and more common. I have included the link to the specs of the Depth i, hoping those more knowlegeable in running two subs or more in HT can point me in the right direction. I do have a RW12d in the home office, but it will stay right there. Or, since I have K-horns as fronts in the HT, would I be better off adding an amp for just them and changing the crossover to get more bass? Seems not, since the extra thump needs to go lower for movies. Pointers?

Been watching that sale . . . But probably really should only go with RT12d . . . Missed that recent sale. But how would an RT integrate, holding its own with the 3 x 8" Depth i . . . Adding an RT10d seems too small and not sure it goes as low as the Depth i, when I am looking for large and lower . . . I know not what I doth here and do not want to buy one that is not at least as powerful, or more than and going lower than the Depth i . . . Do not want to do this twice.

I know not what I doth here and do not want to buy one that is not at least as powerful, or more than and going lower than the Depth i . . . Do not want to do this twice.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/revel-b15-subwoofer-new-demo-only-once

I know this Revel sub will do the trick. Deep, fast and punchy, easy to integrate with any speaker or different sub.

Not sure what you want to spend but I would love to have another one of these.

Bill

I appreciate the suggestions . . . I will check out the specs on each . . .the Depth i goes down to 20hz . . . Was thinking just a little deeper needed for HT. a new Depth i can be had,for $2200 shipped. So no matter what I do, I want to stay well below that for a pre-owned sub or I would just buy another new ML sub--which is not my goal. So, I have a pretty wide price range below new on something excellent on pre-owned . . . Make sense?

I ran lots of different brand combos and all of them sounded

great after getting them dialed in. You can add any good sub and you will like

the bump in bass you get. But still having the same subs is the best way to go.

Timing is key with bass. You want the drivers moving in and out in the same

direction at the same time. If they are off even a tiny bit you lose

performance. Driver speed and timing is so many things (driver used /cabinet

size/ sealed/ported/bass radiator/ amp/crossover). When I went to matching subs

it became so easy to set up and the bass performance went up. So I would go with another depth. Have you tried

finding a b-stock one or look for it online new for 60-75% of retail?

I am thinking another Depth i or even better a Descent i (same sub as Depth i, but with 3x10" instead of 3x8"). If have looked and looked . . . The best price I have found on a Depth i new is $2195 . . . so haven't found anything new at a better price. Used they are scarce. The "i" versions are newer and better than the non-i versions and have LFE. So . . . If you know of a cheaper source? I have looked for months.

I ran lots of different brand combos and all of them sounded

great after getting them dialed in. You can add any good sub and you will like

the bump in bass you get. But still having the same subs is the best way to go.

Timing is key with bass. You want the drivers moving in and out in the same

direction at the same time. If they are off even a tiny bit you lose

performance. Driver speed and timing is so many things (driver used /cabinet

size/ sealed/ported/bass radiator/ amp/crossover). When I went to matching subs

it became so easy to set up and the bass performance went up. So I would go with another depth. Have you tried

finding a b-stock one or look for it online new for 60-75% of retail?

I am thinking another Depth i or even better a Descent i (same sub as Depth i, but with 3x10" instead of 3x8"). If have looked and looked . . . The best price I have found on a Depth i new is $2195 . . . so haven't found anything new at a better price. Used they are scarce. The "i" versions are newer and better than the non-i versions and have LFE. So . . . If you know of a cheaper source? I have looked for months.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/martin-logan-de-cent-i-cherry-subwoofer--2

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/martin-logan-descent-subwoofer-mahagony-finish--3

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/martin-logan-descent-10-subwoofer

Bill