I'm Back and lovin' it! ie..Forte II's

Morton

Hello Friends,

As a previous owner of KG2's, KG3's and KG4's + Heresy's I am now the proud owner of Klipsch Forte II's. I had gotten rid of the other Klipsch speakers.

I have owned Wharfdale Pacific Pi 40's and still do. Nice speaker. "But" I have always been on the lookout for Quartet's or Forte's or Chorus's. Couldn't really pull the string on any, had not found any, or could not afford any I saw. So..up pops on our local Craigslist an immaculate pair of late model Forte II's. I mention to my wife that this is a pretty good deal ($425) and I could turn them over if I don't care for them. My wife says do it and I'll bankroll them.(How's that for a wife?). Picked them up and they are lovely. Clear oak. The fellow says he never even had the grills off. Just great condition.

Shortening this story. I forgot how much fun Klipsch speakers are. The dynamics, clarity, vocals, etc. So happy! Well my wife says not to rush paying her back as she just loves them. Maybe it was the vibrating pictures on the wall on Chris Squire's bass notes that did it but whatever. She's a great bass lover. I'm driving them through a NAD-Harman Kardon combo right now but I have Luxman M-120a + C-120a combination in another room and am looking forward to trying that out on the Forte's. I imagine this is going to be an excellent match. Would also like to pull in the treble a little bit and tighten the midrange too. Not an emergency though. Might try spiked feet too instead of the base. I see all the Crites upgrades but really don't think I can solder well enough to try this but maybe down the road I'll seek some help on this. In the mean time I'll see what I can do with the stock form and the Luxmans.

I'm just having a ball and the family, musician son and friends....all impressed royally. (By the way my son has the RF 3's...so he knows this gear).

This is going to be fun!

Bob

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!! and Congratulations on your new find!!!!!!!! I got a pair of Forte 2's in May but have been away from home since then. Going home next week can't wait!!!

I would love a post or p.m. on which of those combos you favor. The Luxman pre/pro you have look cool[H]. Interested to know if the NAD-Harman Kardon sound better.

It's nice that you have people around you that can appreciate them too. I think we all enjoy putting smiles on the faces of our listeners. After giving my nephews a demo(KG4.2's) one ran out of my room, and came back with ipod in hand wondering if he could plug it in for a "little sound sesh". He is used to listening to his dad's 51/4" bookshelves. They were both very happy in my room listening to gangsta rap....shrug. But they ended on "Ride of the valkyries". How is that for a switch....CONGRATULATIONS again MORTON!!!!!!!!

Might take a few days to get the Luxman combo hooked up but this will be great time spent with something truly enjoyable. Musical equipment has been the sweet balm to lifes harder edges for me. ....and thank goodness vinyl is still alive. Lots to do and explore. Gratitude. Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I jsut hooked up my Forte II's to my Luxman M-120a amp and C-120a preamp. This is a great combination. This duo has a great grip on the music. I'm hearing inner detail on my records I've never heard before. It will probably take a while until I get to know the full spectrum of sound with these speakers.

The new course of business will be to upgrade the CD player. The Shure V15 III on the Dual turntable sounds amazing but the CD player is just not up to the task. Very poor sound quality in my opinion. Maybe look at a Cambridge Azur down the road. I also need to tighten up the bass a little so I bought spikes to replace the base on the Forte's. I will report on upgrades as I try to see what I can squeeze out of these involving speakers. That's it for now. Bob

• Moderators

I took my bases off too, to put them on stands.

I did also, at first they were on stands and later when I ran out of space they rest on other bigger speakers. But placement is not terribly important because they are for HT which rarely gets used.

But we will never get rid of either pair of ll's and the other pair of original fortes, my wife will never let them go even if i want to get rid of them.

Took me a while to acccumulate the Luxman gear. I always had a weakness for the Luxman's look. Thank goodness they sound great too. Very well put together with high quality parts. I'll mention a little more of what I discovered about CD players later when I get back from work. The equipment is always a surprise when the sound doesn't always follow the reviewer's view.

I have found that CD sound is starting to bother me.....seems some of the higher notes on discs are a bit like sandpaper on my ears. Took me a while to really notice but I notice it quite easily now. My Denon universal player and my Marantz 67se both sound harsh. The only unit that I've owned and felt had a warmer analog sound was a Pioneer universal player.. I decided to sell it because it didn't match my settup (shallow, huh?). It sounded very natural. I was really surprised as I had spent quite a bit more on the Denon. We get so attached to our gear and really don't hear the flaws. Anyway if y'all have found a CD player that sounds warm and doesn't have that top shrill sound I would be curious to know the model. Thanks.

• Moderators

Well thats a rare statement...... Good for you I say!

I can't complain.

I was only trying to save space, selling the fortes and using other speakers in the room already, for mains and matching them for HT, that would eliminate 6 fortes from the room. I didn't argue when she said no, she would not sell any speakers we have, no problem really.

But we do not need any more, never thought I would say that, but I'm done, great 2 Ch, 6 fortes for Ht, Cornwall lll in the bedroom, workshop speakers that can easily cover acres and a few other spare sets in other rooms. The only place here without good sound is the bathrooms, I'm not completely crazy. imo [8-)]

I have found that CD sound is starting to bother me.....seems some of the higher notes on discs are a bit like sandpaper on my ears. Took me a while to really notice but I notice it quite easily now. My Denon universal player and my Marantz 67se both sound harsh. The only unit that I've owned and felt had a warmer analog sound was a Pioneer universal player.. I decided to sell it because it didn't match my settup (shallow, huh?). It sounded very natural. I was really surprised as I had spent quite a bit more on the Denon. We get so attached to our gear and really don't hear the flaws. Anyway if y'all have found a CD player that sounds warm and doesn't have that top shrill sound I would be curious to know the model. Thanks.

This is what made me move away from Forte2, listening to trumpets, harmonicas, guzheng, sopranoes etc. was fatiquing even in fairly damped room.

By the way, Pioneer made some awesome CD players, like PD91 and PD93. They still sound very good today although tech is getting long in the tooth.

That sounds curious to me. I'll have to pay attention to my vinyl playback....see if it too sounds to shrill. Though, I also have the same outcome with my Denon Wharfedale system when playing CD's. I really do find Vinyl much more soothing to my ears. Adding a tube amp down the line can only help, too. As a side note, I have found that I can listen to the Forte's at much higher volume with little ear fatigue as compaired to my acoustic suspension Wharfedales. Go figure?

not to belittle any of the links in the chain but the last time I checked I found that if you did not get it off the disk (black or chrome) the rest made little difference. If you can capture amplify and transfer the signal with little or no harm to even the most casual of speakers you can enjoy something, get it to a great speaker and we have an event. It is in the details no matter the size that is where it all lives. Best regards Moray James.