DVD setup

I recently purchased a Denon 3802 with a Denon 1600

dvd player to use with my rf3II system and was wondering which setup is better, the optical out of the

1600 or the 5.1 ch out to the ext in of the 3802, or both? I currently use the optical out and was wondering

if there was any advantage to hooking up the 5.1 ch out. Appreciate any advice, thanks--JB

Hi. I use the optical out for DVD DD and DVD DTS (Used my receiver's decoders instead of the DVD players.). I have the 6 channel analog outs hooked up also for my DVD-audio discs. These outputs also allow you to use the built in DD/DTS decoders in the dvd player. Experiment to see which sounds better to you.

You really need to test drive one of those DVD-audio discs!!!!!!!! Very cool!

Mike

jb, as mike point's out to do dvd-audio w/ those disks you need to connect the 5.1(6) analog outputs to the 6 ext/direct inputs of the receiver. right now due to the industry restrictions on digital transport, dvd-audio format can't be done over the digital connection (optical or coax).

whether you want to use the digital connection for the non-dvd-audio (mlp) stuff is up to you. as mike says requires some trial/error testing.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Back in the summer of 1974 when I was 14 a friend had an older brother in college who tuned us on to some really cool music. It was a pretty hot Motorola tube credenza type all in one unit.

Deep "Purple Made in Japan"

CSNY "4 way street"

CCR "Cosmos Factory"

Eagles "Desperado"

Who "Who's Next"

Doobie Brothers "Captain and Me"

I only have one DVD-A of the "Captain and Me"; it reminds me of being a teen ager in the summer.

Chine Grove and South City Midnight Lady are outstanding in DVD A through my Panasonic RP91( $460).

I have had this dvd player for a bout 2.5 months now and really like it. I am not sure if there is a unit that is far superior in quality unless you pay close to twice the price.

The price of the DVD-As are still a bit high for me, but let us know which ones everyone thinks are worth the premium.