DAC for HDTV?

Exponential

I have an HDTV coupled to my amp, and then to my Heresy II speakers. I run the HDTV into the amp using the analog output of the TV. But, the TV also has an optical digital audio output S/PDIF connector.

Question, would you recommend I get a separate DAC unit, and if so, which one would you recommend.

Thanks.

Exponential,

Welcome to the forum.

I have an HDTV coupled to my amp, and then to my Heresy II speakers.

What amp do you have?

I run the HDTV into the amp using the analog output of the TV. But, the TV also has an optical digital audio output S/PDIF connector.

Are you using your TV as a way to stream audio or Pandora? If so, I would suggest you get a seperate DAC. If for just TV watching, maybe not.

Bill

I am just planning to watch HDTV, but the TV (a 60" Sharp Aqous) does have WiFi & Internet, so I may stream some stuff later.

At this moment, I have an older 50 watt Sony receiver, but I did order a Jolida FX-10 integrated tube amp. 10 watts, class AB, which will be using as the main amplifier. I also have a NAD CD player, that is fairly decent. This a system I am putting together following the purchase of the TV, because we are going to do more home theater viewing.

BTW, here are a few snaps of my 1986 Heresy II's which I have completely fallen in love with:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice HII's. I was messing around the other day and pulled my black grills off of my BR HI's and placed them on my WO HII's. They look just like yours. Then I put the cane grills back on. That walnut looks beautiful with either grill.

post-26822-1381974037049_thumb.jpg

post-26822-13819771015258_thumb.jpg

post-26822-1381979821873_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tyler. I did some critical listening, and I think the DAC in the Sharp TV is pretty cheesy. DTV is supposed to have 48 kHz sampling, which is slightly higher than the 44.1 kHz that CD's use. And the CD's sound a lot better than the TV on my system.

At any rate, I ordered a Cambridge DacMagic 100 a few days ago. Should be here soon, and than we'll see.

I'll report back after I do some A-B listening tests.

Expo...

Was very interested in the DacMagic. Looking forward to your thoughts. I am basically running everything through mine. Bought it primarily for the IPOD and computer but have expanded. Made a nice difference to my listening experience.

The DAC Magic 100 has a TOSlink, USB, and a pair of S/PDIF coax inputs, which is why I went with that model. My TV goes into the TOSLink, CD into the Coax, and MacBook into the USB. The Magic 100 also displays the data rate, which is comforting to see. I did some A/B last night watching various programs. For average newscast type stuff, there isn't much difference. But for movies and PBS concert programs, and DAC sounds a lot better than the analog path. Especially if I crank up the volume, where it stays clean and comfortable to listen to. I am not going to return the DAC.

A friend has been trying to encourage me to get the Bifrost. Running my iPod hook up to a Denon 4311 though the rear USB port . . . Do you think I would benefit from the Schitt? Would it be better than running the iPod through the Bifrost then to the 4311? I am not sure what the internal DAC processing is on the 4311. I am ready to pul the trigger n a Bifrost if it would be better. Thoughts?

Run mine optical through a Schiit Bifrost DAC. Love what it does for music and reasonably priced. Yes the spelling is correct and it's pronounced like it looks.

I've been mucking about this same subject for awhile on other forums. I use my computor as a transport with Foobar 2000 as my player for Flac. Foobar has a Wasapi mode that allows the music to bypass the other inline computor Dac's on the sound card, bit perfect. Unfortunately for me, my primary amp is an old Sansui with only RCA input and my compo has only hdmi/s/pdif/toslink 2 chan output.Hence the need for a Dac to amp setup(working on that). Anyhow ,I use my hdmi to my Samsung tv. and then output RCA to my amp for now ( sounds great to me ). Then I learned that Hdmi has clocking jitter issues.and that my tv has a substandard dac on the Rca output to my amp. Hence the need for a dac direct to amp from the compo. Can't wait anyhow I have an old 30gb 5.5 Gen Ipod, that has a Wolfson Dac in that model, which was great for it's time. So I only run Alac from Itunes on my Ipod,and Rca'd that direct to my amp. What a difference. Made me a believer,Hence the need for a Dac to amp setup. The point is what I learned was to elliminate all the dac's along the way(but one ie; Dac Magic) to amp and including the one in your Cd input on the amp. Go thru aux input, and use Wasapi if you can. 2S2P

And on one other note I found in my research that having 24/96 sampling may not be needed as the source material is usually 16/44.1. If you have Sacd or other HDcd recordings yes. I stumbled across some Nonsampling 16/44.1 with hi SNR values (118db-127db) DAC's in Europe, forgot the brand, as I've been in speaker building mode. I want to believe that 24/96 will be better, however the reviews on the non-sampling dac's swung me the other way.2S2P.