Advice on Quartets

jvs1670

I just bought 2 pairs of Quartets. One set functions great but has both dust covers pushed in on the rear passive woofer, as I understand it this doesn't effect function but was wondering if there is a way to get them popped back out. I tried a vac already and this hasn't worked, any thoughts?

The other pair has a 1.5 inch cut/puncture in one of the rear passives. Is there a way for me to repair this or do I need to get it re coned or just buy a new passive? Other than these few issues these are in great condition, so far I only tried the pair with the pushed in dust covers and they sound killer. The guy also threw in an Academy center channel for $50 bucks, just tried it in place of my heresy II that I have been using for movies and it sounds really good, are these usually worth much more than what I paid?

Thanks.

John

Try using various tapes (masking, duct) to 'grab' the dent and pull it out. Another method is to bend a straight pin at a right angle, insert it in the dent and pull it out, then put a dab of white glue over the hole. Repair cuts with white glue and a couple of layers of tissue paper. Academys usually go for more than $300, so it was a killer deal.

So is it best to pull the speaker out of the cabinet and repair with glue and tissue paper from both sides. Do you just lay the tissue flat and glue it or try and push it in to the cut. Is elmers glue good or do you recommend something better? Thx

• 2 weeks later...

Since it was just a cut and not a hole I used some glue I found in Lowes, it was Loctite fabric glue. Glued it from both side with 3 light coats. Seems to have sealed it perfectly.

Yea seems like that was a good deal now that I have had time to look around a bit. Any idea if the Academy is shielded for use near the TV, it should be I would guess.