Help me choose, RB or RF for my setup.

carlitosz

Hello

I currently have RF-42s matched with a RC-52 center. For some reason I feel the RC-52 is too big for the setup and doesn't match well. At this point I cannot spend more money on RF-52s so here is what I`m thinking:

- Keep the setup as is and forget about how large the RC-52 looks!

- Return the RF-42s and get RB-51s/RB-61 Bookshelfs to match the RC-52.

- Return the RC-52 and get a matching RC-42 for my setup.

I will be runing RB-41s for surround and a PSW505 subwoofer. The room is very small at 10x10'.

What do you guys think? Would RB-51/61s sound better than the small RF-42 floorstanding so they can match the center? Or would the double 4.5" woofers on the RF-42 be a better choice for sound?

Would going from an RC-52 to an RC-42 on a small room make such a difference? I`m very new at this so your advice is well received.

Ok well I also have the rf-42ii amd a pair of rb-61's as well. I can tell you that you get a little "larger" or "manlier" sound from the rb-61 because of the larger woofer. You say you can return things? I'm wondering what you payed for the rf-42's and the rc-52? Cause if you payed retail for them and are with in a period where they can be taken back you can get more for your money from somewhere like acoustic sound design. All the 42/52/62 series have their place. I would think if you like the rf-42 as much as you told me before then you would like the matching center. But you also say you are new to this. Have you heard the rc-62? I know it is a huge setup over the 52. But if you feel the 52 is too much well then the 62 will be way too much. Most will suggest piecing together so you can get what you really want in the end to avoid spending unnessicarily on upgrading as you go. I would suggest the rc-62ii with rf-62ii or even the rb-61ii and the maybe the rs-42ii for rears. Call acoustic sound design and see what you can get for your money. But should try and listen and make sure it's what you want to hold onto for a while.

how does the RC52 seem "too big"? do you mean sound or just physically?

if you mean sound then I really think you should be able to fix that expecially if your reciever has any of the common sound adjustments - what receiver do you have now?

for a small room like that you really will not get much of an improvement from larger speakers unless you improve all of the speakers and receiver. but there are plenty of authorized online dealers with great sale prices and plenty to be found on other sites if you want to try some different models.

if you got bookshelfs would you have to buy stands also? that will change the overall price vs simply keeping the RFs

I have read quite a bit and it seems that the design of these towers and so many other brands with their stacked woofers playing the same frequencies is not ideal at all for limiting horizontal cancelations at some frequencies. with that being said I would lean to you trying the RB51s to match the center and see how you like the sound (assuming it wont cost you more overall money) or keep what you have now. I wouldnt recommend downsizing the center any