son almost shot by 6 cops

Guest " "

Scary, absolutely, but did the system ultimately work or fail? The smartest person in this equation was Frtiz's son. Obviously he followed the police directives and surrendered himself and his deadly shampoo bottle. He was errantly suspected and errantly arrested but his case never came to trial. Fritz did intervene and brought it an expedited conclusion. But I gotta think that he'd have been set free anyway. Santa Monica is one of the most liberal cities in this country. This is a weird time in history and law enforcement is twitchy. And I fully agree that some in law enforcement are over zealous. But consider what just happened in Colorado. 'Armed maniac on the loose' is taken pretty seriously. I am glad it all worked out and that nobody (at all) got hurt. Perhaps requesting a case review with the Santa Monica PD or DA's office is in order?

I'm glad your son is alright but why did he have an empty bottle of shampoo in his hands and how could he be arrested on a gun charge if he didn't have a gun?

He was arrested because he fit the description of an earlier reported person seen flashing a pistol. Witnesses were brought in and identified him in a line up.....

Again, I am glad your son is okay but "fitting the description," and then being "identified by witnesses" seems like a coincidence that would merit some concern for the police given what they are up against every day...It makes me wonder what he told the officers about the empty shampoo bottle and his whereabouts at the time of the incident, compared to the real perpetrator... I guess you could be grateful that your son wasn't armed in this scenario.

...I also blame the WOD for a lot, but that only means that police management and leadership responsibilities are all the greater. That view only shifts blame away from the police. "Gee, I'm sorry we shot your son, but we gotta do this big war on drugs, you know..."

I think the pool of people who have been negatively affected by our drug laws has a direct correlation to the distrust of the police in general..We just had an incident in Dallas where the Police had a tip of brutality/kidnapping going down at a drug house and everybody scattered. One of the guys the police was chasing started whipping up on the cop after being pursued over several fences and was shot dead...Of course the whole neighborhood was up in arms (probably literally) and what started the whole incident was a rival drug gang called in a fictitious tip. Of course the police knew it was a drug house but how are they to know who is telling the truth before the fact and this dude was killed because of violence and not drugs: http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2012/07/autopsy-suspect-killed-by-dallas-police-officer-last-week-was-not-shot-in-back.html/

My son was arrested on a gun charge, He called me....I called my brother in law who is a cpt in the NY state police, I cal my brother who is a major in the NJ corrections system...they both use their liaison connection and get this cleared up.

By cleared up do you mean having any trace of the arrest removed from his record?

I wish multi-dollar awards had more effect.

Apparently, they have a greater affect than you've noticed. How else does one explain the fact that over 95% of the WORLDS ATTORNEY'S are right here in the good ole USA. Not to mention the 535 morons on the hill in Washington DC,..... what percentage of those bill making, law passing idiots do you suppose carry law degrees..... some of which have never even practiced a single day in their chosen career or profession (assuming they actually once intended on participating in an honest tax paying job), yet this doesn't seem to bother the voter's who elect them into office. Go figure.....?

Fritzy, I'm glad things worked out okay for you, and especially your son. Moral of the story, don't walk down the street with a shampoo bottle. LA is just plain crazy, I would hate to live there.

...Not to mention the 535 morons on the hill in Washington DC,..... what percentage of those bill making, law passing idiots do you suppose carry law degrees..... some of which have never even practiced a single day in their chosen career or profession (assuming they actually once intended on participating in an honest tax paying job), yet this doesn't seem to bother the voter's who elect them into office. Go figure.....?

Hey Gilbert, I hope things are well. Btw, regardless of their degree, if they were elected to office their profession is actually "Legislator" and their job description is to pass laws...Insofar as that is concerned, they aren't doing a very good job. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/01/17/112th-Congress-Passed-Just-80-Bills--Lowest-Number-Since-1947

112th Congress Passed Just 80 Bills, Lowest Number Since 1947

Perhaps your son looks like Randy Travis.... seriously TDK shouldn't make such cracks..... but lying in the road naked at midnight is even a little weird for me and I am the weirdest person I know,

Country music star Randy Travis, who pleaded no contest to public intoxication following the Super Bowl in February, was arrested again Tuesday after being found naked, smelling apparently of alcohol and lying on a remote stretch of roadway in northern Texas just before midnight, authorities said.

He was arrested for driving while intoxicated and felony retaliation, after allegedly threatening to fatally shoot highway patrol troopers who responded to a concerned caller who notified authorities of "a man lying in the roadway" Tuesday. The DWI offense is a misdemeanor, authorities said.

While in custody, Travis allegedly threatened "to shoot and kill the troopers working the case," Sgt. Rickey Wheeler of the Grayson County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday.

Read more entertainment news on CNN's Marquee Blog

Travis allegedly refused to take a blood and breath test, and was later forced to submit to a judge's order for a blood specimen taken at a nearby hospital, Wheeler said.

bttn_close.gif
120216080144-bts-randy-travis-arrest-vidRandy Travis arrest video released

Authorities said he had been in a one-vehicle accident and was released on bond Wednesday morning.

It's not clear whether Travis was injured in the accident, though his mug shot revealed a bruised right eye and several abrasions on his face.

Neither Travis nor his representative could be immediately reached for comment.

In February, Travis was arrested for public intoxication while sitting in his car in front of a church in Sanger, Texas.

On June 25, Travis' attorney entered a no-contest plea on the singer's behalf before Sanger Municipal Court Judge Kenneth Hartless, court administrator Christy Punches told CNN. Travis didn't appear in court, she added.

Travis paid a $264 fine and was placed on a 90-day deferred, or probationary, status, Punches said. "It's like a 90-day probation," she said.

The 90-day probation period expires September 23, when the ticket violation will be erased from his record as long as Travis doesn't commit another offense in Denton County, Punches said.

Travis' alleged offense this week won't impact his probation in Sanger because the incident occurred in another county in Texas, Punches said.

Public intoxication, a class C violation of the municipal code, is an offense typically disposed of by the Sanger courts with a fine and a 90-day probation, Punches said.

"It's just a fine-only offense," Punches said.

In February, Sanger police found a vehicle parked in front of a Baptist church in the very early morning hours and, upon investigation, discovered Travis in the car with an open bottle of wine, the Denton County Sheriff's Office told CNN.

The police say the 52-year-old singer smelled of alcohol, the sheriff's office said.

Travis was arrested at 1:31 a.m. on February 6 and taken to the Denton County jail, sheriff's spokeman Tom Reedy told CNN on Wednesday.

Travis was given a citation and held because of intoxication until 7:44 a.m. the same day, at which time he was released, Reedy told CNN.

"When somebody is intoxicated, you just don't let them go," Reedy said. "They have to come in and be here for so many hours. It was a citation. It wasn't a DWI. It was public intoxication."

Randy Bruce Travis listed his city of residence as Tioga, Texas, Reedy said.

"I apologize for what resulted following an evening of celebrating the Super Bowl," Travis told CNN in a statement after the February arrest. "I'm committed to being responsible and accountable, and apologize for my actions."

Perhaps your son looks like Randy Travis.... seriously TDK shouldn't make such cracks..... but lying in the road naked at midnight is even a little weird for me and I am the weirdest person I know..

Not so funny...Ironically That drunk was arrested in February less than 2 miles from me and Tioga is just 15 miles up the road...The same road my wife and I travel all of the time. [:|]