Minature Klipschorn , La Scala , or Jubilee

cobramatteo

We had something like 8 pair 'pre-sold' in this thread...(hahahaha)

Perhaps a public offering of them could net you an opportunity to make a run of them (or a pain in the neck with a bunch of boxes to make. I suppose it all depends on the point of view). All prepaid of course.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/58728.aspx?PageIndex=1

From a sound quality perspective, wouldn't a 2 way miniature Cornwall be the way to go (and probably easier to build)? Is the bottom section tuned?

If you are building K Horns or La Scalas, I think that you will want to fit the drivers in the top hat section.

Come to think of it, I have a NIB set of Polk RM85 speakers (5 individual speakers) that might work. I decided to go with all KG's for this surround system. The Polk's are really small and can fit in the top hat of the enclosures and yield a really small speaker. You will need a subwoofer, either a separate box (good idea) or maybe a 5" or 4" driver facing rearward out of the Mini La Scala (probably better results with the separate sub).

This might work well.

Tony,

As a thought...Most here can assemble something of this size and I have often thought of using the THX ProMedia speakers for the "Innards". Perhaps you could do a "Flat Pack" of the cut pieces, for a minature La Scala and see how it goes. Cutting the pieces is by far the most challenging part. Just a thought.........

W. C.

I don't want to say PWK didn't get that right but it's in reference to a back wave supported woofer. My 11 inch square Velodyne sub has no problem going down to about 28 Hz. And yes, the wavelengths cannot be scaled.

It isn't the back wave in new woofers, it is the size of the amplifier. PWK was referring to common implementations of his time, not a 1000watt subwoofer amp forcing a cone to do abnormal things for the box it is in.

All those subs are significantly EQ'd with the amp to force the bottom end up and to push that heavy 84db efficient heavy woofer around.

It isn't the back wave in new woofers, it is the size of the amplifier. PWK was referring to common implementations of his time, not a 1000watt subwoofer amp forcing a cone to do abnormal things for the box it is in....

I totally agree. PWK was a great engineer, he solved the problems that existed in his time. The Klipschorn is arguably the greatest solution to "in home" high efficiency low frequency performance devised (a folded corner horn). My reference to backwave was the 3db additional efficiency gained by that design. Everything is a trade off. Using the back wave of a 32 foot long wavelength makes the enclosure size important. If you absorb the backwave (pseudo infinite baffle) then container size is less relevant.