Denon AVR's

wdrazek

Well, during a recent heat spell my trusty 10 year old Pioneer Elite AVR finally went down. While it may be fixable, it's probably time to move on.

I am running RVX42's across the front and RSX5's in the rear with a Sunfire sub. The display is a 50" Pioneer Elite plasma bought in 2005 just before prices began dropping like a lead balloon. In other words, I have at least a few more years to amortize the cost before moving into something newer. Not even sure it has HDMI. Most of the usage is TV/Video with some movies and some music. The only video source currently is a Dish satellite, but I do plan to investigate other options (Roku maybe) and other sources like Netflix, Hulu, and so forth. I am not an Apple guy.

Although the room is pretty big, the Mrs. cannot tolerate anything above very moderate sound pressure levels, power output is much less important than sound quality.

When I bought the last AVR, I got a great deal on a closeout model. I'll probably do that or pick up a 2-3 year old model. The bang for buck is so much better than brand new. Looking around, with the Audyssey MultiEQ, reputed sound quality and build quality. Denon is at the top of my list. While my last 3 AVR's have all been flagship models (Elite, Yamaha, Marantz), but economics are different now - I'm not single with lots of disposable income anymore. So, value is very important.

On to my question... besides power that I will likely not need and features (multiple HDMI in/out, etc.) I won't be using, are there other compelling reasons to move up the line from the 2xxx to the 3xxx or 4xxx lines? I am thinking about things like build quality, sonic performance and/or ease of use. I don't have a hard budget so this is more about what do you get by moving further up the ladder.

Sub $750 would be great but higher would work if justifiable.

This one is very hard to top for the price in the Denon family. Excellent amp section to easily power your RVX-42 sytem.(see 2nd link)

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR4310CI/DENON-AVR-4310CI-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-w/Networking/1.html

http://www.hometheater.com/content/denon-avr-4310ci-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

or take a step down a bit in price for a lesser but current model.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR3312CI/DENON-AVR-3312CI-7.2-Integrated-Network-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html

Bill

Any of the major brand BD player will include Netflix, Pandora, Hulu and many other apps. I just purchased a Toshiba BD for my daughter in college for $76. It has all the apps for music streaming. Used flagship avr's are a nice way to go also. Get on that is a year or two old. Look at some of the Epik sub for that price range. http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html

I have had 3 Denon receivers. The first one was a 2 channel that got fried by lightning. The second 2 channel is still in use being driven as a slave by a 7.1. The only issue I have is that the 7.1 looses the battery voltage every once in a while and I have to reset everything to default. Yes, there is a computer in the 7.1 and it does boot up.

JJK

You might consider to spend a little more and look at something current like the Denon 3312. Plenty of clean power, Airplay for you Apple products, Audyssey multi EQ XT, etc etc. You should be able to find one in NY in the $800-900 range

You could also look at the Onkyo 818 for a little more than that and get audyssey XT32. I personally love my 4311, but that'll cost a little less than double of the price you put above. It's a near top of the line Denon that's a couple years old, but will have everything you could want.

I think it will have to be a 33xx or 43xx, depending on what I can find. The 43xx weighs a lot more and I've read elsewhere that it is built in Japan, the others built in China. Both favor the 43xx. Onkyo has too many detractors that say it is unreliable and/or no company support.