KLF-20's

slovell

Just picked up a cheap, not too beaten up but well worn, pair of these in black finish the other day. This pair was manufactured in '98 according to the consecutive serial numbers and the additional internal bracing bears this out. I haven't found any loose panels or split seams so far.The cabinets will have to be repainted, is Rustoleum 7777 satin black still the paint of choice for them? I'll be recovering the grilles also but luckily all the pegs and emblems are still intact. I could really use some advice on recovering the grilles and sourcing the cloth. I'll be replacing the tweeter diaphragms with Crites titaniums and also will use his crossovers. As for the mids, are the Klipsch titaniums worth the extra cash vs Bob's replacements? All the drivers function as they should. I'm curious as to how these will stack up next to my KG-5.5's when I'm finished with them. Any help, opinions, advice, etc will be appreciated.

Regards, Sam

I thought it was pretty easy because the cloth has just the right amount
of flex. I started on one side and applied approximately
8" of glue, folded the cloth over and put some pressure on it with a
board so it could not burn my finger tips. I did this over and over til I
was done with one side. Than I did the opposite side
and at the end the corners. They turned out perfect.

I have a pair of KLF-20's and several pairs of KG 5.5 and there is quite a difference..The KLF-20's (in my humble opinion) are far superior, the detail, clarity and openness of sound is easily apparent. The 5.5's have a nice bass presence, are quite good if not being compared side by side, they are what I would call a "Good Rock and Roll speaker".

Let me know what your ears "say",

Ed

I'll do that. I'm going to tear them down this week-end and get started on the cabinets. I'll probably order the diaphragms and crossovers next week and will go with the Klipsch mids. While I've got Klipsch on the phone I need to ask if they still stock the spikes with the plastic covers, they're gone on them with just the bolts left.
Regards, Sam