Beware of Hitchhikers

CapZark

A few years ago I purchased a pair of La Scalas that had been sitting in an old cellar for about 5 or 10 years. When I brought them home they were covered in spider webs, mold and dirt. I cleaned them up over time, but in the process I believe a few brown recluse spiders came along for the ride. I started seeing these spiders a couple of years later and I believe they "might" have come from this purchase. I'm offering this as just a word to the wise - check these old speakers closely before you drag them into your domain. You never know what might be hiding in them. I'm glad to report I finally chased all the hitchhikers out of the house, but they are stubborn little buggers.

heli001,

Did I send you a new playmate or two? If so, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. Bugs of all kinds are pretty prolific down here.

As for the Brown Recluse they're VERY common here. I've been bitten twice. There's a weird but very effective treatment for a Recluse bite. PM me if you want (or need) to hear about it.

A out of direct family member and his GF have just now settled down some from Recluse bites. They were given spectrum antibiotics and disinfectant towels to wipe off with for a week. It seems that the bite carries staph germs, and can re-infect.

I wouldn't mind having a homemade remedy. In the treatment of a patient by psychic phenomen, Edgar Cayce recommended "oil of smoke", back in the 30's, 40's ...

Jeff,

I have a couple of Firebirds that I have been working on restoring for years...One is finally ready and the other is getting the new engine in a couple of weeks. To make a long story short, I ordered some "New" Fenders from Year One, that shipped probably six or seven years ago. I had NEVER even seen a Palmetto Bug until I opened the box, with "Said" Fenders in it. They scurried out like normal Roaches do, but these suckers were huge.....! Well, ALL this time later, with many Bombs, baits, traps, Professional Treatment, etc., I still to this day, will occasionally see one, when I turn the lights on in the shop. The Exterminator says they are virtually impossible to eliminate, once you get them. I guess you guys in Florida just invite them in for dinner and accept them as part of the family..........I have just learned to accept them, as a way of life, anymore.

The bite of a Brown Recluse (usually multiple bites in a cluster) contains an enzyme that quite literally “digests” human flesh. In a matter of days the wound can get necrotic and go downhill really fast. It’s this open wound that makes the victim VERY susceptible to infection.

I would not have believed the “home brew” cure but it worked for me. Adolf’s Meat Tenderizer is what’s required. You mix about a tablespoon of it with a little water to form a paste. Spread the paste on the wound and cover with gauze. Change it daily with new paste every day until the wound appears to be healing. Usually 3 to 4 days.

Yea… I know… Hard to believe but trust me, it works. As I understand the “chemistry” Adolf’s contains an enzyme that neutralizes whatever it is in the Recluse’s bite

There's a weird but very effective treatment for a Recluse bite.

Not sure why this struck me, but is a side-effect of the treatment a 1-2" gain in penile girth? I guess I spend too much time on the internet...

OK... You made me laugh. Palmetto Bugs are everywhere here. If you keep up with your spraying you can keep them out of your house but you can never hope to eliminate them in your yard. By and large they're harmless and according to my last dog quite tasty.

Many years ago when I still lived in Ohio the older brother of a friend of mine came down to North Florida or South Georgia for some manner of law enforcement training. He was housed in a mobile home that had been converted to several dorm rooms. At some point during the training he turned on the light in the wee hours of the morning and encountered his first Palmetto Bug. He unloaded his issue Smith & Wesson model 10 trying to kill the intruder. He was sent home shortly after.

I just drove up from MD with a pair of cabs. Along the ride home...my SUV was buzzing with bee looking things which I think came out of the cabs. I cranked up the AC and they all ran back into the cab. So there's a nest in there....probally in the usual spot in a LaScala which is the space between the woofer cone and the slot....and yes...it is reported that one woofer does not work....the nest is probally limiting woofer travel.