Very well stated article about our insane hobby!

tube fanatic

"Listening to music on a hi-fi is one of the most luxurious uses of time there is. It's completely and totally unproductive—unless we want to count enjoyment as a factor of the Gross Domestic Product."

" , , , one of the . . ." ???? Compare to what?

Consider: watching professional sports, watching movies, hunting, fishing, playing cards, No offense to people who get their enjoyment by these.

My point is that lots of people do things for enjoyment which viewed from a distance are as just as unproductive as hi-fi.

WMcD

• 2 weeks later...

What is high fidelity?

I had a friend who was looking at upgrading and wanted to hear my stereo.

We worked our way up from old CD, remastered CD, Synergy B3 surrounds etc, all the time staying with the same artists.

I asked him where the artist was, over there, distant, close by, singing to you, sitting on your lap etc?

When we finally arrived at Sheryl Crow DTS Master; Rockin the Globe DVD, running through the La Scala's I thought he was going to try to mount the Plasma TV, she was singing to him sitting on his lap.

This DVD is right after Lance Armstrong, Sting, Owen Wilson and I think Clapton, Crow is pumping out the emotion.

A week later we picked off mint recapped, re-veneered Heresy 1s, he disconnected all of his other speakers and listens to the Heresy's exclusively, didn't even bother to hook up the sub 12 I sold him.