Pictures of Cornwalls Setup in Room Required

acasanis

Hi Everyone,

I've searched the forum, as well as google images for pictures depicting Cornwalls setup in a living room / family room / media room / listening room etc... I have a few decent shots, but would benifit from a few more.

I am embarassed to say that my cornwalls are stored away in our spare bedroom right now. My wife thinks they are too big and will "look out of place" if setup in our mainfloor family room. It is a decent size room about 22ft x 16ft with a nice woodburning stove, and dry bar - the only thing missing are the Cornwalls. The original plan was to finish the basement and have my setup down there, however, I have now come to find out the basement must also be deemed "child friendly"... No tube amps out in the open, no Cornwalls 3 ft away from the wall etc...

My wife has agreed that if I can show her some pictures of how people have *tastefully* integrated Cornwalls into their living areas, she will at least consider the option. With that said, if there's anyone out there willing to help out a fellow Cornwall enthusiast - please post up a picture of your Cornwalls in action!

Many Thanks in Advance!

Adam.

No Martin... No care... Stick out tongue

Makin' me laugh, Schu! A friend of mine from high school has a collection of about ten Martins. A couple from the custom shop (INCREDIBLE!!!). A pair of D-728s, which you can't even find info on their website. They are 7/8 size D-28 models. Sweet instruments which are nice to stick in the car for a trip. He still has my old D-28 from '63. One of the Martin employees offered him $6k in cash, which he politely declined.

Indeed... very cool.

I sold most most of mine off, but at one point I had an OM42(2 of them), HD28, D28, OOO28VS (my fav), D28LF(brazilian lester flatt), OM28V, OM18GE... someday I will be ale to build my collecton again, and if I do... I will be adding Froggy Bottom to my choices.

This is really off topic, but these kinds of postings really irk me. Don't get me wrong, I have a wife, and I love her dearly, but isn't it your house too? What about sharing? Why do so many wives assume the domestic scene is entirely under their jurisdiction and that they have an automatic and total veto over everything they do not personally approve of? I have had complaints from my wife from time to time, but, hey, I don't like everything she buys for the house. I let her know, as she does me, then we get on with our lives.

How about this: photos are very unreliable in terms of suggesting how anything as big as a Cornwall is going to look in a 3D environment. I'd suggest that you suggest to your spouse a trial run. Or just move the speakers in and tell it's for a "test" to see how they might look. Do NOT offer to remove them if she doesn't like them, just tell her it's "for awhile". I think this is fun. It's a sort of counter to your wife's "tasteful" which is vague to say the least.

Any piece of furniture that big is going to look enormous...for awhile. It s surprising how quickly one adapts to the new piece and the object actually starts to feel smaller. I hope your Cornwalls really are presentable--good-shape veneers, etc. That'll help a lot.

You could also consider other decorative possibilities. Might they be incorporated into a built-in unit--a wall of bookshelves or entertainment center? I remember seeing one install where the speakers were covered with beige cloth bags that so well matched the room's decor, that they nearly disappeared. A two second process of lifting the bags off for listening and restoring them afterwards eliminated the problem.

You certainly want to protect small children. A Cornwall toppled over on a toddler could be messy--the speakers might get scratched! Think through logical solutions to these valid objections and you're on your way.

I see some others have actually responded with photos as you requested, but the photos can be of decor ideas--they do not have to show Cornwalls. They could be adapted to the Cornwalls, and the better they look, the better she'll like them.

Good luck!

George

Yes, WAF ("wife acceptance factor") has always been a major issue when choosing speakers, among other things (an optician friend tells all of his male clientele not to make a final decision on their eyeglass frames unless their wife comes along to approve them!!!) The suggestion above to put them in the room and observe their appearance is terrific! My wife and I actually purchased the house we have lived in for so many years because the family room was perfect for K-horns from both of our viewpoints (sound for me, and appearance for her; we still have the house, but not the K-horns much to my regret!!!) Good luck, and please post with the final decision...............

• Moderators

This is really off topic, but these kinds of postings really irk me. Don't get me wrong, I have a wife, and I love her dearly, but isn't it your house too? What about sharing? Why do so many wives assume the domestic scene is entirely under their jurisdiction and that they have an automatic and total veto over everything they do not personally approve of?

Exactly, we had 8 speakers in our living room, HT (6 fortes) and 2 Ch (Cornwall's), and my wife insisted we get another pair after hearing them, which were as big as all the rest put together !

She did not ask me how I thought it would fit or even if i wanted them, the nerve of her. [:@] I finally gave in and we had no other choice but to move the Cornwall's into the bedroom to make room for her new speakers, I sure hope she realizes the things I do for her ! Women [:#]

My wife has agreed that if I can show her some pictures of how people have *tastefully* integrated Cornwalls into their living areas, she will at least consider the option. With that said, if there's anyone out there willing to help out a fellow Cornwall enthusiast - please post up a picture of your Cornwalls in action!

Why don't you tastefully integrate them into your living area one weekend while she's out and see how she likes it? They might not look as bad as she thinks.