Recommended Amp Power with 7.2 Heritage System

cerescobra

An AVR will never, ever outperform separates. It shares a single power supply for all the functions and will run out of steam long before a stand alone power amplifier will. All the gizmo's are just fluff and the Pioneer stuff is traditionally bright sounding with Klipsch speakers.

An AVR will never, ever outperform separates. It shares a single power supply for all the functions and will run out of steam long before a stand alone power amplifier will. All the gizmo's are just fluff and the Pioneer stuff is traditionally bright sounding with Klipsch speakers.

On what metrics and under what scenario? Trying to power a stadium?

I've actually listened to this combination, and firmly stand behind my recommendation. We're talking La Scala here and the D3 topology + MCACC is far from traditional.

2Q==1_70052-z.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0

for HT use...def go with a high end AVR. take this unit....8 years old but still ahead of it's class....individual 24bit@192khz decoders per channel....crazy power at all channels driven (160WPC@8ohms, 320wpc@4ohms, etc)....very low distortion and very high signal to noise ratio due to the backplane chasis.

post-22082-13819800691096_thumb.jpg

Bill, pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by lower noise floor? And those B&K's are elusive. thanks..

IMO, with the highly efficient system you have, I think you would be better off selecting an amp with a lower noise floor than the Emotiva XPA's. An amp like a B&K Reference 125.7 would be close to perfect. Dead quiet(my experience with B&K) and a "warmish" tone that mates very well with Klipsch Heretige. The B&K 200.7 or 7270 would be perfect if you must have a minimum of 200w/ch. You could also combine one of their 2-channel with a 5-channel.

Bill

Many high end avr's like the Pioneer Elite, will deliver the power and performance for an HT setup, that will be indistinguishable from separated. The new SC 68 has a DACs 192 kHz/32 bits. Studios only use 192/24 DACs. The preamp of my SC 35 is excellent: I have not seen a need for something better. Even though I hav 2 amps on the system, I have been able to justify the addition of an additional 5 or 7 channel amp. I like the extras on the avr to add versatility and expand the use of the system for other components and applications.

Bill, pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by lower noise floor?

Disclosure: My technical terminology may be a bit inaccurate but those in the know should understand what I am trying to say.

Higher noise floor usually indicates higher output voltage which can mean more noise at idle which can translate to more noise when more power is applied. The XPA amps are high gain amps and may create more noise for very efficient speakers like Klipsch Heritage.

And those B&K's are elusive

True, I rarely see the Reference 125.7 amps in the used market.

Bill