Tricks to unraveling the braided shield?

Coytee

Anybody that wants to re-engineer the unit rather than implement a simple fix is a green engineer.

At work it costs us about $5K to do a DCN (document change notice) on a TEE (temporary engineering evaluation) vs $100K to spin a new design.

It cost me $0.10 to add a 2.2K resistor at the end of a 100' Whirlwind snake that had unbalanced returns (and there was another 20' from the stage box to the amp rack).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DrWHo/djk,

Please do not take offense by my questions and comments. I am not in any way trying to be obtuse only trying to understand this. It looks like by your graphs DrWho that in the audible band the 2.2k resistor doesn't make as PWK used to say a "dimes worth of difference". Especially with the 100 ohm output impedance. Am I interpreting the graph correctly?

babadono

Am I interpreting the graph correctly?

Yep.

With 100nF on your cable (3000ft of Belden 1176), you will be 4dB down at 20kHz with an 18k input impedance. Add the 2.2k resistor and you'll see a 0.2dB improvement. You gotta go all the way down to 100ohm in parallel to see a 3dB improvement (1dB down at 20kHz). Of course now your signal is attenuated by 6dB....