The move from 63's to 7ii's??

Scrappydue

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i know beech.if i sell the 63's they will go with the 64 as well. and i really want to get the rf-7ii's all the way across the front, but if i can't then i will get the newer 64ii for the timbre matched tweeter. and dtel, my room is small now but once i move in november and start down this new path of life and leaving the military behind, i should have a large room that will be a dedicated theater room. hoping for 18X26-28 feet with 9 ft ceilings.

• Moderators

18X26-28 feet with 9 ft ceilings.

Wow, that will be sweet. When we drew up our plans to build, I had designed a 15 x 25 x 9 room but we ended up being able to buy a home that was 2 months out from being finished for much cheaper than we could build a house and it had a 13 x 19 room with 10 ceiling. Would have been nice to be a few feet wider and a few feet deeper but it still works out great. You will have plenty of room with yours being that size.

• Moderators

i know beech.if i sell the 63's they will go with the 64 as well. and i really want to get the rf-7ii's all the way across the front, but if i can't then i will get the newer 64ii for the timbre matched tweeter. and dtel, my room is small now but once i move in november and start down this new path of life and leaving the military behind, i should have a large room that will be a dedicated theater room. hoping for 18X26-28 feet with 9 ft ceilings.

Ok I didn't know your going to move in Nov, good for you. I now see why your thinking this way and even if the room ends up being a little smaller you will be good.

If you really want the 7's and will have a bigger room go for it but also consider other models which work great in larger rooms. (just another oponion)......in a room that big also consider 3 Lascalas across the front, it's unbelievable. Not that I have a problem with any Rf model but for big sound in a big room you need big speakers, just something to think about. Maby try to get a listen to different models before you decide, buying twice is not cheap.

Either way good luck and have fun, and THANKS for your service. [Y]

Scrappy, your sub will be fine for that size room. My family room is around 4000 cft. not counting the open kitchen/dinning area off of it and my two subs are more than adequate. Start looking for some 7's for after the move. I know you will be glad to be out of the service and the possiblity of deployment. I may be the only one on this forum that feels the timber issues are not that big of a deal. Right now I am listening to some jazz and like the RC 64/RF 7 pairing on Neo 6 music.

I think what Reference meant by his comment is what Scrappy has currently is overkill for his current room. It will still be overkill for his next room, but not AS overkill? Having 4 PB13-Ultras would eventually pay for themselves if you are able get them to the right frequency to sonically castrate people out of your home theater room for a small fee.

I may be wrong on the timber issues, I was looking at my avr manual and came across a page that said it contained a speacial timber filter for the speakers. That may be why I have not noticed this issues compared to other members mixing and matching speakers up.

I think what Reference meant by his comment is what Scrappy has currently is overkill for his current room. It will still be overkill for his next room, but not AS overkill? Having 4 PB13-Ultras would eventually pay for themselves if you are able get them to the right frequency to sonically castrate people out of your home theater room for a small fee.

Lol well I was half joking I guess. [:D] Even if
what he has now is overkill less bass is still less. You never know really tell
you get set up and turn it on. Every room is different and some rooms can be
really hard to get the bass you want or are used to. If you can sit in the
right spot and have the sub in the right spot. You could probably just run one
ultra and be done (In fact I’m thinking about selling the two pb12+s and just
keeping my ultra behind us). However depending on the spot you want them it may
take more.

Hey scrappy. I only read the first line of this thread so I apologize if I am repeating something. I made this exact switch last year. As far as the towers go I could not tell a discernible difference. The 7ii's fit my space better as they are less deep and of course the look of my cherry rf7ii's is fantastic. The big change was going from an rc62 to the rc64ii. That was a huge change. I was never able to hear a older rc64 so I couldn't tell you how it compares to the rc64ii. To be fair I have a smallish room and cannot take full advantage of the 7's or the 63's. I do have some nice subs and other equipment as you can see in my sig. Not sure if you have similar equipment or not so your situation may be different. I paid $1700ish for my 7's and $1100 for the 63's. Sold the 63's for $700 so the $1000 upgrade was probably not worth it for the towers alone. But getting the 7's kinda allowed for the rc64ii which was big. I think the best bang for my buck sound wise would have been to find an older rc64 and keep the 63's. However for me the upgrade overall was worth it because I love the look of my 7's. That said I recently found an rf82/rc62 front 3 for $400 which I will swap to if my 7's ever sell.

Whats your source for the xpa2 and 5? I'd look around with your settings and start tweaking if your source doesn't offer enough options it'll be alot less expensive buying a new source...you could grab a xmc when they release. Rooms treatments may be another option that could help. Not sure how tight up your speakers are but bring them out as well, mine are around 12-18" out, I can safely say I spent a heck of alot of time in settings on eq and crossovers to get it where I think is right

With 2 ultras and the right source equipment you will be able to make any speaker shine [Y]

Hey scrappy. I only read the first line of this thread so I apologize if I am repeating something. I made this exact switch last year. As far as the towers go I could not tell a discernible difference. The 7ii's fit my space better as they are less deep and of course the look of my cherry rf7ii's is fantastic. The big change was going from an rc62 to the rc64ii. That was a huge change. I was never able to hear a older rc64 so I couldn't tell you how it compares to the rc64ii. To be fair I have a smallish room and cannot take full advantage of the 7's or the 63's. I do have some nice subs and other equipment as you can see in my sig. Not sure if you have similar equipment or not so your situation may be different. I paid $1700ish for my 7's and $1100 for the 63's. Sold the 63's for $700 so the $1000 upgrade was probably not worth it for the towers alone. But getting the 7's kinda allowed for the rc64ii which was big. I think the best bang for my buck sound wise would have been to find an older rc64 and keep the 63's. However for me the upgrade overall was worth it because I love the look of my 7's. That said I recently found an rf82/rc62 front 3 for $400 which I will swap to if my 7's ever sell.

Jason thanks for insight. So you were one of the guys I was waiting to chime in since I knew for sure you had both sets. I think my problem is same as yours for now. Too small of a space. But that hopefully will change soon. Just gonna hang with what i got for now then if I get a huge room maybe some rf-7ii will get looked at a little closer.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the biggest difference would be the woofer size is larger than the rf-63's, so bass being the biggest difference, but the rf-63's get plenty of low end if you are crossed over at around 80hz. Those dual SVS subs you have give you more than enough bass. 2 channel music is another story of course.