MOG is the best thing I've come Across for a Music Source of any kind!...........

Cut-Throat

I started playing around with MOG, I am using it as a Pluggin App for the
Squeezebox Touch. It has similarities as Pandora but with much better
Audio Quality and you control the Music Entirely.
Pandora streams a
128 Kbps, but MOG streams at 320kbps. The difference was stunning. It
was like listening to a FLAC file vs. Pandora.

With over 1 Million Albums avaialable, almost everything I listen to, is on the MOG Library. I don't think I'll ever need to play anything from my Library anymore. Also the amount of re-mastered albums is amazing! I may never need to buy any new music either.

All this for $5 a month for my squeezebox touch.

From what I understand the CEO is a serious audiophile that has a lot of vinyl, and is probably the driving force in a streaming service that has high quality audio.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Thank you

I tried it for just a few minutes just to try it and it sounded good, need to spend more time with it.

I just signed up for free for now, but at that price it would be hard to beat.

I like Pandora for a variety but with MOG you can even hear whole albums and particular songs. [Y]

Thank you

I tried it for just a few minutes just to try it and it sounded good, need to spend more time with it.

I just signed up for free for now, but at that price it would be hard to beat.

I like Pandora for a variety but with MOG you can even hear whole albums and particular songs. Yes

I used to use Pandora all the time......Even the radio feature of MOG is better than Pandora.

Listening to music with MOG is just like listening to your own library, You can see the songs queued in your playlist in Squeezebox LMS.

I may never have to buy music again !

• Moderators

I get Pandora from my BR player, it streams but only what it has apps for. MOG was one of the apps but it was not free on the BR player so I didn't try it. I used a laptop to try it and just used a wire with a headphone jack on one end and L & R RCA on the other end into the receiver and the sound was good. If I decide to subscribe I will just use the BR player, I wanted to try a squeezbox but at $300 I put if off.

I see NO reason why this should not be how all music is played in the future, buying a physical disc or LP will eventually die out. But it will take more changes and better quality before people will give up physical music, but it will happen it's only a matter of time.

I read the reviews on Amazon and sprinkled within the reviews of Audiophiles were ipod users and such.

Not sure why you posted this link, as Amazon would not be a place I would go to for Audiophile Advice.

I was commenting on MOG running on a Squeezebox Touch at 320 Kbps not an Ipod at 64 kbps.

I may have missed your intent, correct me if I'm wrong.

not an Ipod at 64 kbps.

I believe this is for Android and Kindle, not iPod... http://www.amazon.com/MOG-Music/dp/B004L7KGFC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I was looking for independent opinions of the service in general. No particular reason I chose Amazon. But I'd have to question your assessment of the value of the opinions. I think it's pretty easy to cut the wheat from the chaff...

Chris

not an Ipod at 64 kbps.

I believe this is for Android and Kindle, not iPod... http://www.amazon.com/MOG-Music/dp/B004L7KGFC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I was looking for independent opinions of the service in general. No particular reason I chose Amazon. But I'd have to question your assessment of the value of the opinions. I think it's pretty easy to cut the wheat from the chaff...

Chris

BTW - Android and Kindle are also 64 kbps and I would not consider them a threat to the audiophile commmunity.

I am also an independent opinion of the service in general. That is what this forum is all about. I have no interest or personal stake in the company. My advice would be to try it out with their 14 day free trial and make up your own mind. Then you can report back here with your opinion as an audiophile. I'll be waiting for your review.

BTW - Android and Kindle are also 64 kbps and I would not consider them a threat to the audiophile commmunity.

Really? http://support.mog.com/kb/general-information/what-audio-quality-bitrate-does-mog-support

Really? http://support.mog.com/kb/general-information/what-audio-quality-bitrate-does-mog-support

Hey, listen I only posted this for folks interested to try this. I have not spent a great deal of time analyzing how it would perform with an an Android phone. I use Modified Horns, SET Tube Amps and a Squeezebox touch and it works really well for this setup.

If you want to know how it will work with your kindle, I have no idea.

Thanks for responding...at least.

...Hey, listen...

I'm a bit skeptical of these music services ever since someone loaded Spotify onto my wife's laptop (a real mess of an app, I must say). That's why I listed the other opinions from another source. I trust no one with these type of programs. YMMV. Just checking things out.

But...you're initial reaction to my external reference wasn't what I'd expect, and you posted at least two pieces of information that weren't accurate, right? And you didn't acknowledge it.

I apologize if you thought I was being critical...trust me, I wasn't. I typically go out of my way to avoid energizing egos.

When I get a chance, I may load the app on a laptop and try it. But I'm going to do due diligence first based in the bad experience with the other apps that stream music. I'm a little gun shy.

Chris

• Moderators

OK after trying it for a hour or so, I really like what I hear. Sound quality is better than Pandora and I can pick whole albums or just songs off albums. I even went back and listened to some older stuff, WAR, Jackson Brown and my wife wanted to hear something newer, Darius Rucker, everything sounded good.

I have not tried some of the other features like music that sounds similar, somewhat like Pandora but more adjustable and you can still just pick exact songs. The search is nice also, if I don't know the exact spelling of a band I think up it really helps you find it quickly.

#1 it sounds better than Pandora, to me much better, and it's easy to hear.

I think I'm going to sign up, at $4.99 a month I will surely get my moneys worth. If things change later or I find things I don't like I can just cancel it. To tell you the Truth it's as close or the same as physical media in quality, and that's listening with big Ole horns which tend to reveal any problems.

Thanks for responding...at least.

...Hey, listen...

I'm a bit skeptical of these music services ever since someone loaded Spotify onto my wife's laptop (a real mess of an app, I must say). That's why I listed the other opinions from another source. I trust no one with these type of programs. YMMV. Just checking things out.

But...you're initial reaction to my external reference wasn't what I'd expect, and you posted at least two pieces of information that weren't accurate, right? And you didn't acknowledge it.

I apologize if you thought I was being critical...trust me, I wasn't. I typically go out of my way to avoid energizing egos.

When I get a chance, I may load the app on a laptop and try it. But I'm going to do due diligence first based in the bad experience with the other apps that stream music. I'm a little gun shy.

Chris

Being skeptical is the sensible route. Just blindly following one individual's opinion, no matter how well intentioned, is a ticket to disappointment. I'm especially skeptical of anyone whose first reaction is to get defensive when politely questioned. The internet is a great source for differing opinions but one needs to know how to weigh them.

Steve Wozniak expressed a lot of doubt about the Cloud just the other day:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joemckendrick/2012/08/06/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-distrusts-the-cloud-is-he-right/

Essentially, it comes down to whether you want to own your personal collection or pay a monthly fee to access and select from a huge collection put together by others. Do any kids of today value music like the previous several generations? I haven't run into one.

Pandora streams a 128 Kbps, but MOG streams at 320kbps. The difference was stunning.

You are not kidding. Just downloaded app(14 day trial) to my Samsung SMART TV and streaming through optical to my NAD pre/pro.[Y][8][8][Y]

Bill

• Moderators

Pandora streams a 128 Kbps, but MOG streams at 320kbps. The difference was stunning.

You are not kidding. Just downloaded app(14 day trial) to my Samsung SMART TV and streaming through optical to my NAD pre/pro.YesMusicMusicYes

Bill

That's what I was thinking, planning on listening more tonight, sounded good to me also. [Y]

I listened to some albums via MOG this summer (my brother uses it almost exclusively) -- one album I was amazed they had in their library, Bill Bruford with the band "UK" sounded just incredible. Totally unveiled, transparent. I was sold right away on the sound quality, alone.

Just loaded it on my PC, tried Poe: Fly Away....one girl one piano

Impresssive sound

Update: Just spent an hour hunting and pecking though various artists, who don't sound like the artist I they linked to.

Good service quality, lots of selections. I do miss my smooth jazz station and the collective decades of experience in hunting and pecking the various personalities bring to their shows. Radio will remain my primary source of finding new artists and movie soundtracks.

MOG said to install Adobe flash player 10.3 but the Adobe website will not let me install Adobe flash player 10.3. after I uninstalled 11.3.

It says 10.3 is not the most current version when I try to download 10.3 and tells me to go to player download center and install 11.4.

Any ideas?