MOG is the best thing I've come Across for a Music Source of any kind!...........

Cut-Throat

Fish that is my problem with MOG, after an hour I am low on music and need to share with friends, explore or make a playlist

That's what I thought, but I just kept playing and it just would pop up that message occasionally but never stopped. I was using a computer out through the headphone jack.

I think it's free to a computer but to use on other devices it's cost $4.99 per month, more if you want it mobile.

I'm using lap top. Only a couple days into it. But on the 1st day it said I was running out of music with only a couple albums played. So I ponied up the $4.99 for use on the computer as I like to listen to music as I lurk. Have had trouble with skipping, going to other sites and various issues which I am hoping I can learn to over come. So far anything that takes much effort from computer causes issues though.........................Taz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using lap top. Only a couple days into it. But on the 1st day it said I was running out of music with only a couple albums played. So I ponied up the $4.99 for use on the computer as I like to listen to music as I lurk. Have had trouble with skipping, going to other sites and various issues which I am hoping I can learn to over come. So far anything that takes much effort from computer causes issues though.........................Taz

If it's skipping, you probably don't have a fast enough internet connection. Because MOG streams at such a high quality bitrate, a fast connection is mandatory.

• Moderators

If it's skipping, you probably don't have a fast enough internet connection. Because MOG streams at such a high quality bitrate, a fast connection is mandatory.

Exactly, I never had any skips, it was a wireless laptop connected with headphone jack and RCA on the other end. The BR player has MOG as the only other app besides Pandora, but like you said that is $5 a month and the computer is free. I just think it would be alot more convenient to not use the laptop and possibly get a better signal ? Probably going to do it just haven't yet.

I think that pop up is from when it was a free trial but pay to keep it, plus it makes people who like it think it running out and they sign up, can't blame them I guess, it's a cool service.

Personally I kind of like the way Pandora changes artist but somewhat the same type of sound, but the bad thing is you can not listen to anything with one particular artist or pick a certain song or album.

The biggest thing to me was the sound quality, it is definitely the best I have heard , that is the real selling point considering it does have a huge amount of music to choose from. I have yet to have it not have what I am looking for, once I spell it correctly. [:$]

That is so true on the internet speed. I had skipping with Pandora from the BDP and thought it can't be the speed since it is near 20 Mbps and connected by LAN. I switched the LAN lines around and got a better port for the BDP and the problem went away.

Interesting that MOG kept playing for you... it certainly was quick to tell me that I had run out of songs and it immediately stopped playing. While I was trying it out it worked very well and with no skipping. I've had the paid version of Pandora for a couple of years but lately I have been having trouble with skipping and stopping. Sometimes the time it shows for the song length is some crazy high number and other times it just says 0:00. To see if it was my internet connection speed I tried a netflix movie streaming at the same time... not a blip from the movie but Pandora was still skipping to the next song before finishing. Interesting that Pandora was having trouble at 192k but MOG was fine at 320k!

• Moderators

Interesting that MOG kept playing for you... it certainly was quick to tell me that I had run out of songs and it immediately stopped playing

I was waitings for it to quit, that little bar on the right was full, it just kept starting over but the little pop ups still continued ?

I will play it tonight, I did use it for probably 2 hours straight last time, every song I could think of that I have not heard in a long time. Even some old disco from 30 years ago and the Jackson 5. WAR and some AWB, wild cherry, my wife was laughing at some of the old stuff I was draging up.

I will play it tonight, I did use it for probably 2 hours straight last time, every song I could think of that I have not heard in a long time. Even some old disco from 30 years ago and the Jackson 5. WAR and some AWB, wild cherry, my wife was laughing at some of the old stuff I was draging up

That should of been a blast! Now that is enjoying the benefits of MOG's large collection.

Just tried MOG. My 19yo son swears by Spotify which "everyone uses."
Running on my HT system right now and, no kidding, MOG might make me
resurrect my MD recorder. My Creative SB Audigy software has a MD feature that I
have never used (I only got this used WinXP tower recently and threw all
the good stuff from an old Dell XPS into it. It is my dedicated audio computer). My Carver sub is pumping like never before from the web. Might have to sell my tuna! Nothing on anymore anyway except NPR. There are a few good classical stations in our area though (Balto/DC) but they certainly are not as clean as this sound I am listening to right now. I am just catching up to regularly using web as a source so this came up right on time. Thanks for the reviews!

• Moderators

Interesting that MOG kept playing for you... it certainly was quick to tell me that I had run out of songs and it immediately stopped playing

I was waitings for it to quit, that little bar on the right was full, it just kept starting over but the little pop ups still continued ?

I will play it tonight, I did use it for probably 2 hours straight last time, every song I could think of that I have not heard in a long time. Even some old disco from 30 years ago and the Jackson 5. WAR and some AWB, wild cherry, my wife was laughing at some of the old stuff I was dragging up.

Well I opened my mouth to soon, I went to try it again last night and it said sorry your free music has ended. [:(] I guess I just hit it lucky when I first tried it.

I tried Spotify last night, what I will probably do is try a few different ones and see what has the features I like and the best sound, and go from there. It's great to have choices like this. [Y]

I went to try it again last night and it said sorry your free music has ended. Sad

How much Free Music do you get?........I immediately went with the $5 a month. This will save me about $300 a year on new music. It was a no brainer for myself.

Curious, how much did you usually spend on music in a year?

• 3 months later...

I have 4TB of music and video media that I have acquired over the last few years, through mostly dubious methods. It's never been a moral dilemma for me, but I have recently decided to become more legitimate, especially since the economies of scale for storage costs in the home environment are basically non-existent. So I'm deleting my entire MP3 collection and switching exclusively to MOG, with one of the new Boxee TV devices ($99) as the method for accessing MOG in my home theater. I'll also be slowly acquiring blu-ray media for the truly important movies and dvd media for the nice to have, but not super important quality (ty oppo bdp-93 for great upscaling) movies.

I have 4TB of music and video media that I have acquired over the last few years, through mostly dubious methods. It's never been a moral dilemma for me, but I have recently decided to become more legitimate, especially since the economies of scale for storage costs in the home environment are basically non-existent. So I'm deleting my entire MP3 collection and switching exclusively to MOG, with one of the new Boxee TV devices ($99) as the method for accessing MOG in my home theater. I'll also be slowly acquiring blu-ray media for the truly important movies and dvd media for the nice to have, but not super important quality (ty oppo bdp-93 for great upscaling) movies.

Thank you for your confession my son.

Say 3 Hail Mary's and buy 3 box sets and you are forgiven.

I understand your point of view and try to pay as I go somehow.

Funny thing is kids fiqure music should be free, don't know how it will be sustainable.

except for Roku, there aren't a lot of HT friendly devices that support MOG these days. So i picked up a Roku HD for $50 and it arrived today. Connects via wifi and then HDMI to my AVR. I'm not planning on watching movies, just streaming MOG and (maybe) Pandora, so the important stuff is digital signal to the AVR to reduce signal noise and HD output for a pleasant on-screen experience. mission accomplished.

navigation of the MOG app for Roku leaves a little to be desired, but it's functional and more importantly it gets that beautiful 320kbps audio streamed to my Denon and RF-5's. It's still not FLAC or CD quality, but I truly cannot tell a difference. I'm a happy camper and so far the piracy withdrawal symptoms have been very minimal.

• Moderators

navigation of the MOG app for Roku leaves a little to be desired, but it's functional and more importantly it gets that beautiful 320kbps audio streamed to my Denon and RF-5's. It's still not FLAC or CD quality, but I truly cannot tell a difference. I'm a happy camper and so far the piracy withdrawal symptoms have been very minimal

I tried MOG for a while but it was to much trouble navigating with the Samsung app on the BR player, it's terrible. For some reason I tend to like the way Pandora picks music ? I don't want to pick songs or albums, mostly I like to just let it play.

I did try the laptop with MOG connected to the receiver which made it much better to operate and search. Switching to a DAC for 2 CH eliminated that connection.

But this could be some bad news for much of internet radio?

http://readwrite.com/2008/08/16/pandora_on_the_verge_of_closing_shop

I tried MOG for a while but it was to much trouble navigating with the Samsung app on the BR player, it's terrible. For some reason I tend to like the way Pandora picks music ? I don't want to pick songs or albums, mostly I like to just let it play.

MOG has a far better 'Artist Radio' than Pandora. With MOG you can select:

1.) Artist only radio

2.) A few similar artists

3.) Some similar artists

4.) Mostly Similar Artists

5.) Similar Artists

Then add to that the superior Audio quality of MOG over Pandora.

You just need to play with MOG some more to understand its capability!

Also, I use a Samsung Tablet with my Logitech Squeezebox with LMS and it works as well as my Laptop or Desktop

I still want both Pandora and MOG. The way Pandora picks songs and how I've tuned the stations with thumbs up and down would be hard to give up. For everything else, MOG. I started using the Logitech remote app for iPhone and the squeezebox touch. Working awesome for MOG and Pandora.

I don't use the touch often but it is on the whole house setup so this makes it handy.

• Moderators

You just need to play with MOG some more to understand its capability!

Your exactly right, the app is really bad on the Samsung it's almost unusable and with the laptop I had a cable across the floor and now with the DAC I can't even do that.

I don't mind paying monthly again once I figure out the best way to set it up conveniently, it would be nice to have another choice also.