Need to let go of RF83s. Help with some advice on a new 2 channel setup

cobrasmen

Good Day Klipschians,

Im in need of some sound advice.

Its been a year since I bought my RF-83s and I have to say I couldnt be happier. These things are incredible. Ive thrown parties where these babies have pumped out so much bass the neighbor came over because he felt the ground shake and thought something was wrong (admittedly he is close). Ive spent hours listening to Rachmaninoff piano concertos, Beethoven Symphonies and live recordings of bands I havent listened to in years.

Unfortunately my fiancée and I have moved and my time with them must come to and end. They are large and my place is not.

I would very much like to stay in the Klipsch family and here is where I need some help. What do you guys recommend I do?

Do you think a trade might work? If so, for what? I have a number of ideas but want to hear any considerations before I throw in mine.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

John

lay out some parameters... why are they being let go and what are your specifications for replacement. is it merely a size issue? is it a duty requirement issue?

consider RB81's you could trade and get cash back probably.

Definitely not a duty requirement. My fiancee loved the sound coming out of the speakers and thought they were beautiful to look at with the grills off.

The room they will be placed in is only 12x12.

The way the RF-83s are placed right now I am way to close to the speakers. I listen to a lot of classical music and loved the size of the sound stage with the 83s. I'd love to be able to re-create that feel but in the smaller space.

I've looked at the RB81's. They look like a very solid choice.

I thought you were talking about big speakers... these are only 9.25 inches wide? [:^)] Heresy speakers will end up taking about the same amount of floor space when you are done.

Lookup some different models and check out the footprint... Make some cardboard cutouts to match and place them in the room so see the area they would occupy. Then think about how much space they would take up vertically.

Bruce

Thanks for the advice everyone. Marvel, that's a great idea.

I would worry about that too with the Heresys although I'm itching to try some Heritage speakers. They aren't nearly as tall as the 83s but I would imagine they take up as much space on the floor. Sonically though, do you think they would be a better balance for a room my size?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Marvel, that's a great idea.

I would worry about that too with the Heresys although I'm itching to try some Heritage speakers. They aren't nearly as tall as the 83s but I would imagine they take up as much space on the floor. Sonically though, do you think they would be a better balance for a room my size?

for the entry price, they are hard to beat. give them a try and I bet you will love them.

Marvel is correct, the Heresy would take up about the same amount of floor space, but their shorter front aspect and closely spaced drivers would make them better for near-field listening than RF83s, for sure. Arrange your room so the listening zone is at least 6'-7' from the speakers and you should be in great shape.

John,

You may want to list out your other equipment, amp etc.

The problem you are going to have is your ears are accustomed to full range speakers.

I have listened to the 83s and liked them, IMHO they are designed to be part of a 5.1 set with a sub though.

For 2 channel listening, 3 ways with a 12 inch or larger woofer are hard to beat.

I strongly encourage you to consider a pair of Heresy's, 2s in mint condition can be had for $500 and 3s mint for $1000 or new for 1800.

Mount them on some end tables in the corners of the room or just to the side of your big screen TV on tables.

Also since the speakers are highly efficient, you can move to a class A amp and get a sweeter sound if you don't have one already.

RIght now I am using a "stasis" Nakamichi SR-4a. It's serving me well but definitely not great. I've saved up the money needed for an decent entry level tube amp but want to get my speakers sorted out before I make any moves there. Bubo, your comment about the 83s being designed to be part of a 5.1 setup is also my concern in going with the RB81s. I have a feeling they are meant for the same. Definitely could be wrong on that one though. Thanks for your input everyone, the help is awesome and greatly appreciated.

I've saved up the money needed for an decent entry level tube amp but want to get my speakers sorted out before I make any moves there.

I've used entry level tube amp with both RF 35's and RB81's (same 8inch woofers) and with Heresy II's. For me tubes and heritage are a perfect match!

Heresys or Fortes in that size room with a tube amp and you should be happy.

With the Heresy's, 2 watts is screaming, Heritage stuff was designed with tubes in mind.

Whatever you decide on for a pre-amp, be sure to get one that will allow you to use more than one amp. A speaker selector switch can be set up to move the speakers between two amps or you could play with 2 sets of speakers at some point in the future. BR LR.

This will let you experiment with amps for different music, tube rolling and AB comparisons etc.

Just checked the Klipsch web site, $850 list for Heresy 3s per speaker, and they support bi-amping.

I've never looked into to it, but bi-amping with 2 40 watt class A tube amps might be cool after starting out with just one.

Yaquin has some deals in the 40 watt range, but I understand the EL34s are too syrupy.

Haven't listened to any of them, so its hearsay on my part.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If at some point in the future, you decide to go 5.1, it can be done with 5 Heresy's; and a sub for movie sound effects.

5.1 bi amp center and fronts with heresys with 3x 40 w valve, rears with one amp. Used surround pre-amp that support DTS Master shouldn't be too much.