Advice on outdoor system please?

tony61

I've put a small system in my test kitchen on a covered deck in my back yard.

I have a few questions....

I have a Denon AVR 1612, Roku media streamer and a blue ray payer in a cabinet on the deck and I'm concerned about humidity, dust, heat and cold. The floor is regular decking bords so there will be air flow from underneath. In SC it gets hot and humid in the summer. Should I construct some sort of box to put the componants in? I'm thinking one with a fan on one side blowing out and a cutout with some sort of filter on the opposite side. Will this be enough to cool the unit when it's 100 degrees with 80% humidity? Should I place a desiccant of some sort in the box to soak up the atmospheric moisture?
There is also a 51" plasma mounted on the fireplace. I have the same concerns there.

I value you guys' oppinion and look forward to hearing any and all ideas

Also, if anyone has some KSB 1.1's for sale let me know!

Thanks in advance

Tony
tonysr61@gmail.com
803-243-1876

I don't know a lot about outdoor stuff except that they make special outdoor equipment. Can you not set everything up inside amd run it as a zone? Like an hdmi splitter and then I know lots of pales that build weather proof cases for tv's. I wouldn't risk that stuff outside in an extreme seasonal area. I don't even do it here in San Diego and doesn't very out here much. Lots of people out here with tv's under covered porches. But they are always tube tv's. Ones they prolly don't care about. But I would look into setting stuff up inside. Even if you had to run a long hdmi cable and two long speaker cables shouldn't be that hard. Good luck!!

Not sure about reciever , but I can say that I have a 40 inch Samsung LCD that I put on my patio ........under truss ,, tv is 5 feet up wall 10 feet away from screen and driving rain has got it before.........NEVER thought it would make it ,but It has been 3 years .....that's with Florida 95 degree summers with 90 plus humidity levels

Do you have any way of running the outside speakers as a zone 2 of your indoor equipment? Or run the speaker wire out and put this equipment inside? Both my brother and I run our outdoor speakers as zone 2 and don't have any problems. Of course we have to go inside to change anything...volume, station, song...on and on. ***Just read scrappy's post and I am repeating****

I ask because at my job we have network equipment in waterproof boxes outside and the life expectancy of this equipment is reduced by 75% at least. I think its the heat that gets to them. Putting your stuff in an inclosed box will increase the heat generated and heat is the enemy...typically.

Brainstorming here...would an RF system work for you?

i would never plan on putting all of that equipment outside...like others have said either run a zone 2 (easy for audio) or some sort of way to get video outside if you must have most. But keep everything inside that you can. There are plenty of ways to get audio/video outside with keeping everything inside other than the speakers and TV. And most people who have flatscreens outside bring them inside when not using them - unless you have one specifically made for outdoors.

I installed a system at my parents new house using the Pioneer SC-55 receiver (3 powered zones) and they use the Iphone/Ipad app for it to control everything no matter where they are. Many new receivers have this option (Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha and probably more) that way you dont have to worry about the annoyance of having to go inside to make any changes. or like pathos said - an RF remote eye would handle that all from outside.

I wonder if a remote repeater system might be of use. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_051ELM501/Sanus-ELM501-IR-Repeater-System.html?search=remote_repeater&skipvs=T

Sanus ELM501 IR Repeater System

You could control your SAT or Cable box with one IR, the BluRay with another, and your receiver with another. You would still have one IR available for another device. The little red LED's stick to the IR input area of the device you are controlling. In most cases, you will see what is happening on your TV if you have your system set up right, and if your AVR supports it. Of course, the BluRay and SAT/Cable boxes will display on the screen as you use the remotes. That way you don't actually have to see the AVR to know what it is doing, eg. volume control.