E-V 15WK

barefootpoet

Did the original dust cap on the 15WK have 'EV" or "Electro-Voice" printed on it? I recently acquired a decent 15WK with what looks like the original orangish-colored surround but a plain black dust cap. I know the 18WK had 'EV" on the dust cap. Just trying to determine if this speaker has been repaired at onetime.

Thanks

I'm struggling with 50-yr old memories here, but I think that surround WAS a Klipsch 15WK, while the standard 15W did not have them. If that's correct, it might have been part of EV's manufacture of the "horn only" 15WK model.

Also, the 15WK had to reach above 1,000 Hz, and perhaps the surround was part of extending it that far up. I heard one 15W many years ago, and it sounded very muffled to me. Besides, its range had mesh with a 500-Hz xover point in the K-500 midrange horn in the K-horn, AND the 1,000 Hz mid-range horn in the Cornwall and Shorthorns of around 1960.

Hopefully, someone with greater knowledge will chime in.

The 1959 -1960 K-horns and Cornwalls were incredible speakers, with that 15WK. Sadly, EV discontinued those huge alnico models and substituted a much lighter, cheaper, ceramic magnet model, and those great speakers were never the same. I have always wished that Klipsch would source a 15" model with the old EV's strengths, and engineer the xovers to match. I think the current K-33, while very good, is feeble in comparison. I'm sure economics and the market have made it impossible since 1960.