Plywood cutting tutorial

CECAA850

Seems I'm building more horn loaded subs these days. My latest build will be a BFM TableTuba for my back porch. Horn loaded subs have a LOT of panels on the inside of the box. The pic below shows the outline of the 13 panels that will have to be cut for this particular sub. I love building subs but don't really care for ripping all those panels. Every panel has to be exactly the same heigth or else the last panel won't fit flush and possibly leak. Beings that I'm generally lazy (and cheap), I wanted to find a method to rip the plywood that didn't involve spending any money and be very accurate.

post-15193-13819800255914_thumb.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I determined how wide I wanted my sub to be, I subtracted the thickness of my saw guide and cut 2 pieces of scrap plywood to length. It's critical that these be EXACTLY the same length. I clamped 2 pieces of scrap together and cut both ends with one swipe of my saw. I then clamp those pieces flush to the end of my plywiood.

post-15193-13819800266808_thumb.jpg

I've always wondered... why do horn loadeds never use angled joints/corners on the interior tube structure?

would there not be a benefit from angling the joints more subtly?

If you're talking about rounding the corners in the horn path, I think it's been proven that there's no benefit to it and it would involve a lot more work.

• Moderators

Nice work, it's really the only way to get a straight cut on large pieces, without spending a ton of money.

I did something similar, just clamped a large strait edge to run the saw guide/edge on. I couldn't do like you did there were no square angles on mwm tops and bottoms and each piece took up 3/4 sheet of plywood. After checking measurements a few times before cutting it worked great. At $50 a sheet for hardwood ply I did not want a silly mistake considering I needed 12 sheets without a mistake.

Now you know we need you to have pics of this all the way to the end, it's only fair now that you got us started.

Now you know we need you to have pics of this all the way to the end, it's only fair now that you got us started.

I'm normally pretty slow when building, so it may take a while but I am taking some pics as I go. This particular sub needs 15 seperate panels to be fabricated and most of them have bevels (or so it seems). There's also a lot of bracing that needs to be angle cut. I've got 6 panels cut so far. This coming weekend I need to drive over to FL (13 hrs 1 way) for my fathers memorial so it may be a couple more weekends before I can work on it.

Carl

Nice work and thanks for sharing, if you have a chance show us your bevel cutting technique....

The guide is set up the same way. I just take a protractor and set the angle on the saw bed before I make the cut. I'll look and see if I can find the pic that I posted in another thread.

I've always wondered... why do horn loadeds never use angled joints/corners on the interior tube structure?

would there not be a benefit from angling the joints more subtly?

If you're talking about rounding the corners in the horn path, I think it's been proven that there's no benefit to it and it would involve a lot more work.

Interesting.

thanks