RF-82 sub recommendations to replace sw-350

tdunlap0001

Question, will one of the other sub mention have better performance? A lot of them will considering two things, peak spl/dynamic range and low frequency extension. IMO, a sub need the peak spl to give the impact to explosions for an HT. Some 8-12 in subs fart, for lack of a better term with explosions. The low frequency extension gives a feeling of depth to movies with a visceral component all within the autoclabration settings. How much of that you need depends on wether you live in a home, apartment, have a dedicated HT with sound proofing. Proper setup is required no matter what sub you end up with. When you look for a sub, the amp spec's are less important because the sub design will have a big impact on what type of power is needed for a good performance. Also smaller subs have a sharper roll off above 80-100 Hz and may be more difficult to integrate with the main speakers. Sub that are level up 200-300 Hz can be more musical due to there mid bass performance.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigger speakers offer fuller output and output levels. Some satellites say they might go down to 80hz but that 80hz will not match your rf-82's at 80 hz even I'd you set the cutoff right at 80. Don't think your not using them to their potential. If anything you are making it a bit easier for your speaker and receiver and makin your sub do its job a little more. Where about southern California do you live?

Is it just the quanity of the air that make the same 80 hz from the rf-82's better?

I live in Long Beach, ca - for now :) not sure in a few years.

Thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate your help as well as everyone else who helped from the community.

Super easy question.... do not wire speakers off your sub. Just use an RCA cable from the sub preout on the AVR to the LFE input on the sub. Some people say to set your front mains to an 80hz crossover point but I prefer 50hz in my space. dual wiring doesnt help in normal situations so don't bother.

Sub recomendations: Price point? Less than $800 I am assuming... How big can the actual cabionet size be? any restraints with that? What do you plan on using it for mostly? HT? music?

So until you answer those questions I will reccomend you check these subs out. I will only reccomend subs I have personal experience with however so there are more out there.

1. A5-350 is a killer sub but you will need to find it used as ED has closed down for now.

2. Epik empire.

3. THT

4. Paradigm dsp 3100 and 3200. The 3400 is bigger but to me it was a little muddy compared to the 3100 and 3200. Paradigm is a little pricey but these are no longer made and can be had used at a decent price. The dsp really alows you to push these hard with very little distortion.

Heyo, thanks for the reply. My price point is below 800 (a figure that is held loosely depending on the performance gains), but the lower the better while still fullfilling my needs plus a little for when my living room grows. It will be used for a healthy portion of both, music and HT with greater emphasis on music.

Constraints: I am mostly interested in performance. If they are big, their big: if small, their small. I would prefer them to match the rest though (the black version of klipsch's line).

Thanks,

Terry

Question, will one of the other sub mention have better performance? A lot of them will considering two things, peak spl/dynamic range and low frequency extension. IMO, a sub need the peak spl to give the impact to explosions for an HT. Some 8-12 in subs fart, for lack of a better term with explosions. The low frequency extension gives a feeling of depth to movies with a visceral component all within the autoclabration settings. How much of that you need depends on wether you live in a home, apartment, have a dedicated HT with sound proofing. Proper setup is required no matter what sub you end up with. When you look for a sub, the amp spec's are less important because the sub design will have a big impact on what type of power is needed for a good performance. Also smaller subs have a sharper roll off above 80-100 Hz and may be more difficult to integrate with the main speakers. Sub that are level up 200-300 Hz can be more musical due to there mid bass performance.

lol, i don't find myself to be illiterate, but i had to look up some words. I greatly appreciate the technical response

I feel that my sub (then again, i still need to adjust its placement) lack the low frequency extension and the peak to some degree.

How do i find out what a subs peak spl/dynamic range and low frequency extension is? Arent those dynamic terms that vary depending on the placement and shape of the space its in, or is there some kind of normalized figure that is used as a reference?

Thanks,

Terry

The Epik Empire is a great sub. Keep in mind to your door

its $935 total not 800. SVS PB12-NSD is

$769 to your door. Looking at the two subs specs I would save the money and get

the empire. It weighs twice as much as the lower end svs and the klipsch sw-115.

hello,

Thank you, i am always curious if a subtle increase in cost pays off greater when compared to the performance gains. I would hate to get a sub that would rock, but not rock hard enough and only save a few hundred dollars.

Thanks,

Terry

Bigger speakers offer fuller output and output levels. Some satellites say they might go down to 80hz but that 80hz will not match your rf-82's at 80 hz even I'd you set the cutoff right at 80. Don't think your not using them to their potential. If anything you are making it a bit easier for your speaker and receiver and makin your sub do its job a little more. Where about southern California do you live?

Is it just the quanity of the air that make the same 80 hz from the rf-82's better?

Thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate your help as well as everyone else who helped from the community.

Well of you feel like coming down to San Diego on a road trip I have the svs's a velodyne optimum series and a new bic pl-200 that came with my rf-42ii ht amd it sounds pretty good for the 190$ I think I payed for it. It ain't no ultra, or empire but I'm gonna buy a second to have matching duals in my living room setup as well. Welcome anytime till about beginning of November. After that it's all getting packed up amd moved to a more permanent home.

Well of you feel like coming down to San Diego on a road trip I have the svs's a velodyne optimum series and a new bic pl-200 that came with my rf-42ii ht amd it sounds pretty good for the 190$ I think I payed for it. It ain't no ultra, or empire but I'm gonna buy a second to have matching duals in my living room setup as well. Welcome anytime till about beginning of November. After that it's all getting packed up amd moved to a more permanent home.

Hello,

thanks for such a crazy fast reply. As i am still new to the scene; i don't know much more about those subs than what i found doing a quick Google search. I am assuming they are both going to be a significant upgrade to my sw350? Also, are you planning to sell the Velodyne Optimum and keep the BIC PL-200 to run dual?

I just ask because i would hate to buy a new sub and run into similar problems i am facing now.

Thank you much,

let me know, i might have to schedule a bit of a road trip. :)

Terry

The SW 350 is a decent sub for it size and price point. All the subs that forum members mention will have a decent spl. Some differ in the low sub-sonic range. I like to think of eartquakes. do you want to feel it or do you want to be in it. The low frequency extension will determine how much you want to feel the sub. My setup is in the family room so I don't need things vibrating off walls but, if I had a dedicate room for HT, that would be ok. If you live in an apartment those sub- sonic wave carry for great distances and will disturb other people. I have an Epik Legend paired with my RF 7's and get a good reponse down to 20 Hz. This a compact sub that is versitle for ht and music. The Epik Empire will put you in the earthquake, lol. A good 12 or 15 in should serve you well.

The SW 350 is a decent sub for it size and price point. All the subs that forum members mention will have a decent spl. Some differ in the low sub-sonic range. I like to think of eartquakes. do you want to feel it or do you want to be in it. The low frequency extension will determine how much you want to feel the sub. My setup is in the family room so I don't need things vibrating off walls but, if I had a dedicate room for HT, that would be ok. If you live in an apartment those sub- sonic wave carry for great distances and will disturb other people. I have an Epik Legend paired with my RF 7's and get a good reponse down to 20 Hz. This a compact sub that is versitle for ht and music. The Epik Empire will put you in the earthquake, lol. A good 12 or 15 in should serve you well.

I want to feel it while in an earthquake :). but i see what you are saying, i do currently live in an apartment. But i live over the garages and the walls are surprisingly well insulated. But i do always keep in mind the possible bother i might be to my neighbors. That is currently why i am getting frustrated with my current setup. Because i question if its on, then i go outside and its rumbling a bit to much. I also want to get a sub that will still satisfy a larger room.

The sw-350 is a downward firing sub, could that have something to do with the way its disturbing vibrations while not offering that fulfilling bass i am looking for?

Appreciate the directed response,

terry

well I wrote a comment about satelites vs rf82's but I realized that the OP probably didnt care so I edited it. Unfortunately the biggest bang for your buck is going to be DIY... then IMO it was Elemental designs (now closed down).... perhaps you can find a used ported sub from them? Next I would say the Empire but as sated shipping is $135ish. I would say that stretching from $800 to $935 would be worth it in that case. If you wanted to go cheaper there is a sunfire for sale on here for $825 shipped. I have never heard it but Im sure someone can give you the goods on it. From what I hread it handle music very well.

well I wrote a comment about satelites vs rf82's but I realized that the OP probably didnt care so I edited it. Unfortunately the biggest bang for your buck is going to be DIY... then IMO it was Elemental designs (now closed down).... perhaps you can find a used ported sub from them? Next I would say the Empire but as sated shipping is $135ish. I would say that stretching from $800 to $935 would be worth it in that case. If you wanted to go cheaper there is a sunfire for sale on here for $825 shipped. I have never heard it but Im sure someone can give you the goods on it. From what I hread it handle music very well.

Hello,

I normally dont mind DIY projects, but when it comes to something like precision speakers - i try not to invoke the deed.

So far i have tracked all of the recommendations for subs and the Epic Empire is winning hands down. I was thinking of finding maybe a used one. I also came across a link to a sub shootout by a couple of guys, Link, the HSU Research VTF-15H caught my eye, any thoughts?

Thank you,

Terry

I want to feel it while in an earthquake :). but i see what you are saying, i do currently live in an apartment. But i live over the garages and the walls are surprisingly well insulated. But i do always keep in mind the possible bother i might be to my neighbors. That is currently why i am getting frustrated with my current setup. Because i question if its on, then i go outside and its rumbling a bit to much. I also want to get a sub that will still satisfy a larger room.

The sw-350 is a downward firing sub, could that have something to do with the way its disturbing vibrations while not offering that fulfilling bass i am looking for?

terry

The sw350 is an 8" sub and is rated to 31hz, this is why your not getting the earthquake vibrations, the klipsch rw12d is usually around 300 as well, id take that first for the 300 dollar mark but its still going to miss out on the real deep bass but hits a budget softly

Now the epik empires and other subs 800-1000 really are in a different league than klipsch subs with exception to usually klipschs high end subs, price/prefoermance still favors the id subs however the sw115 is the only one I would give consideration to if sticking to klipsch is a must.

If you like used gear plenty of people will help you locate something nearby given your location, otherwise only your budget dictates the end result, theres a velodyne hgs-15 in florida for 350 that would be unbeatable for the price if you live down there[Y]

Well now you know a lot more about subs than you ever wanted, lol. If you want to feel things getting down around 20 Hz is needed. Where are you located? Forum members will help you find a great deal near you. The 15 in Empire is 120 lbs. The SW 115 is reasonable at 69 lbs. Both will give you what your are looking for. The Epik Legend is 80 lbs and goes down to 16 Hz, but it is best around 20 Hz and does not cost as much as some of the other subs. Good luck with getting what you want.[:)]

P.S. down firing or front firing should not make a difference. And, I would not worry about seal vs ported since there are good subs in all these variations.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/167014/1799095.aspx#1799095

this guy sells a lot of stuff. I'm sure he is a pleasure to work with. could be just what you are looking for. hey maybe you could even snag both and have enough bass for your neighbors! lol

Heyo,

i took a look and he is located in Wisconsin. Dont think i am willing to commit to that much of a road trip :) Thank you for the thought though.

Terry

terry

The sw350 is an 8" sub and is rated to 31hz, this is why your not getting the earthquake vibrations, the klipsch rw12d is usually around 300 as well, id take that first for the 300 dollar mark but its still going to miss out on the real deep bass but hits a budget softly

Now the epik empires and other subs 800-1000 really are in a different league than klipsch subs with exception to usually klipschs high end subs, price/prefoermance still favors the id subs however the sw115 is the only one I would give consideration to if sticking to klipsch is a must.

If you like used gear plenty of people will help you locate something nearby given your location, otherwise only your budget dictates the end result, theres a velodyne hgs-15 in florida for 350 that would be unbeatable for the price if you live down thereYes

Heyo,

I seem to keep living in the wrong place :). I do fancy used equipment just because of the great deals you can find on things. I also really like Klipsch simply for their product to hold value.

I suppose i should have did a bit more research on subs before i got a little to carried away. That way i might already have an awesome sub, oh well, lesson learned :)

Thanks,

Terry

Well now you know a lot more about subs than you ever wanted, lol. If you want to feel things getting down around 20 Hz is needed. Where are you located? Forum members will help you find a great deal near you. The 15 in Empire is 120 lbs. The SW 115 is reasonable at 69 lbs. Both will give you what your are looking for. The Epik Legend is 80 lbs and goes down to 16 Hz, but it is best around 20 Hz and does not cost as much as some of the other subs. Good luck with getting what you want.Smile

P.S. down firing or front firing should not make a difference. And, I would not worry about seal vs ported since there are good subs in all these variations.

Hello,

I live in Long Beach, CA. I am leaning towards something like the Epic Empire or the HSU Research VTF-15H (have to read more on it). I want to invest now and have an amazing system that i can enjoy for years to come.

Thank you for all your help,

Terry