Home theater on a budget

The Dude

Ok first off I wouldn't necessarily call it a dedicated home theater. Nor is it for me, but I have a friend that was over at another friends house. Just to get this strait there were 3 of us myself friend 1 and his neighbor friend 2.

Friend 1 has a Jamestown 120" screen with Optoma projector, and a 7.1 in wall surround sound system in a box setup with a Harman/kardon receiver. This is not a dedicated ht, it is more of a family/rec room kind of atmosphere. Which is what I will end up having(but obviously a different setup. I was talking more along the lines of family/rec room), and Friend 2 will have. Now friend 2 was talking how he would like something like this(this is who is on the topic of wanting a ht on a budget) Now budget from what he threw out was 5000.00 reason I say that is for the fact when he ask'ed how much friend 1's ht cost he thought it would have been around 5000. Now he might be wanting more or even less but judging from is taste he might be able to be pushed a little more.

Now don't get me wrong friend 1's setup sounded great tonight sounded fine, but for movies it could be a lot better. Like I said friend 2's taste is a little different then friend 1's and myself. I do know he wants that wow factor, for one he is a big Star Wars/ Zeppelin fan oh wait i myself are fans of these. So I feel he is going to want a little more then friend 1.

I think if he goes used on the speakers he could get a good price on some Heritage or Reference. I was thinking he could go with something along the projector/screen setup friend 1 has, Reference RF-52 II or RF-62 II, Onkyo Receiver . Some of those pieces would put him at or around if not a little more then about 5,000.00. Now if we could go used on the speakers he could higher end such as the RF-82 II system. I think the big thing would be to upgrade the sub since his rec room is fairly large.

Now why such the long story, well other then the fact I wanted you guys to know a little about my friend and I am bored.

I have the same problem with the paragraphs. It would be in friend 2's best interest if you accompanied him while looking. I live in Omaha also ,and know the options he has to demo a setup. I am sure the salespersons who work at our local stores are wonderful people , and some may know what they are talking about, more often than not they are more concerned about their commission than the customer. I think it is probably better to buy " big" the first time , than to have buyers remorse later...I am more familiar with the later. ....Go...Big...Red !

I looked at an add on Audiogon the system includes the following.

RF-63 Floorstanders - $700 for the Pair

RC-64 Center Channel - $350

RF-62 Surrounds with Stands - $430 for the Pair

RT-10d Subwoofer - $615

Entire RF-63 Speaker System -$1800.

I know the system is used but it seems like a great deal to me. That leaves $3000 for a receiver and projector.

RT-10d Subwoofer - $615

I know the system is used but it seems like a great deal to me. That leaves $3000 for a receiver and projector.

That system sold over a month ago. I don't know why that stuff stays on Audiogon for so long.

RT-10d Subwoofer - $615

That system sold over a month ago. I don't know why that stuff stays on Audiogon for so long.

Oh ok, I'm sorry for posting that. That was an amazing deal it probably sold very quickly

Sounds like were all on the same page, Jason what you posted is exactly what I was talking about in a round about way. As we were over at friend 1s house with a Jamestown/epson combo that was the one thing I think will work as we both agreed on the picture for the price. user_IsOffline.gifKnorbu, what do you have for a system. Would you be willing to let us come over a demo it. I agree with the go big now instead of disappointment later. As far as Klipsch dealers in Omaha we have Best buy, and NFM, and I other private dealer if they are still around. I agree about one of them only out for their profit, they didn't even know Klipsch RF-7 II's were back until I told the rep. I think Bestbuy does better for the Synergy serious as far as display goes then what does NFM does for the Reference line. But knowing he knows that ESP and Marshall are good to his ears, that once he hears a better system then friend 1's system he will be hooked. I am not meaning to say anything bad about those stores, its just hard to hear a good Klipsch setup locally, and some of the "Custom" electronics shops only offer higher end audio not that some of those other audio companies are good I just think that for the price and best bang for the buck and how good they sound Klipsch can not be beet.

i think the rf-62ii HT would be a pretty awesome setup! i recently acquired a set of rf-62/ rc-62 combo for a friend and then he backed out so i ended up selling them on here to a guy up in la. but before he wanted them i had to hook them up and make a video for him. well i ran the three off of my xpa-2/5 combo with no sub and holy cow did they sound amazing!! now i also owned 82's before i got my 63's and still hear them quite frequently as they are in a friends house right down the road. but i think unless you have the 82's and 62's side by side you will not notice a difference at all! to me the rf-62ii's with a rc-62ii, and two rs-42ii's and rb-41ii's cannot be beat for the money. and i know that the rf-62ii HT comes with the rs-52ii's but i also had the rs-42's with my 82's and also felt that they were plenty with that setup. and if a budget comes into play then it is important to save where you can to splurge elsewhere. getting rs-42ii's over the 52ii's means getting a epik empire over a epik legend....see what i mean. that whole setup should be able to be had around 1800 from acoustic sound design. so 1800+1500 for the projector screen combo puts you at 3300 which leaves you 1700 for a empire and a 900-1000 avr or a pair of legends if dual's is more desirable then a single. but i would put my money in the best single first. a second can be acquired later.

+1 on the rf62's. I demoed the 7ii's and the 62's side by side and there was a difference for sure. But here's the thing. There is at least a $1200-$1500 price difference. I got the 7ii's eventually because I liked the real wood veneer too much. Once you put a quality sub in your setup it will matter even less. If your doing alot of 2 channel listening with no sub or you just love the real wood veneer of the 7ii's then I would go with them. If your mostly HT and you plan on setting your front mains crossover at 80hz anyway then I don't see that the 7ii's are worth the extra money.

I would say most people think a HT sounds great when the sub is of sufficient volume and quality. If I was on a budget of 5k then I would spend the majority of my speaker money on the sub and much less on the speakers themselves. If your space is large then I would strongly consider a tapped horn sub like the THT or for a quicker fix you could go with dual epik empires. I have heard both these subs and was impressed. Do not just go out and grab a klipsch rw12d or some other low priced sub if you want big HT impact. If you do that I think you will be bit by the upgrade bug very soon. Keep in mind the tweeter on the 62's and 82's is the same....so your only gaining woofer size and some extra low end output in the 82's. As I said before you may be setting your crossover at 80hz anyway so it really won't matter. The smaller physical size of the 62's will work better in a "livingroom" vs a dedicated HT because of the WAF. Now if your HT is going to be the livingroom then I doubt a THT will work for you. For a small footprint sub you could go with an SVS pc12 for $750 or a pc13 ultra for $1700. I have not heard an SVS sub so I can't speak to them however.

1. $600-$800 RF62 or 82 front 3 used

2. $300 for a used set of rb51's for surround

3. $1700 for a projector (possible epson 8500ub or some alternative but I can only speak to the epson)

4. $200 for a screen

5. $1500 on dual empires

6. $600-$800 on a quality AVR refurbed from accesories4less... (denon 4310 $650, Onkyo 8181 $740, onkyo 1009 $850)

That would get you a killer 5.1 system and when your ready to upgrade you can easily move the rb51's to rear surround and pick up a set of rs51's for side surround. It also would be easy to add external amplification a little bit at a time. You can do that without having to sell off or lose any money from your previsouly purchased equipment. I think avoiding the upgrade bug is the best way to do HT on a budget. (I was unable to avoid this, lol)

Sorry about the long paragraph since I have been using google chrome its been making everything one long paragraph.

You will have to include html paragraph tags to start new paragraphs. Insert a less than symbol "<" a "p" and a greater than symbol ">" with no spaces between them.

Bruce

Duder,, I have rf-83's for fronts,a rc 64ii center and a set of rb-75's for surrounds with a sub12. I think we can arrange for you and your buddy to give it a listen. I will pm you with my info.,

That's an interesting setup. Do the 83's sound really good still with all your other speakers having a larger tweeter?

It sounds immaculate, as Jim Morrison would say.

I have not had the pleasure of hearing a " perfectly " matched system ,so I have nothing to compare it to.

I was using a synergy c-2 center , and the b-2 bookshelves with the 83's when I first got them. That wasn't quite cutting the mustard.

After I adding an amp , I see no reason for any upgrades other than the umc-1 I should be getting sometime this week, and eventually a different sub.

It is all goodness that gets really loud.

Its not too hard to figure out. Their menu system is actually set up quite nicely. I would expect there to be a ton of cheap umc-1s on the market including mine in a few monthshere if you plan on getting one and not the xmc-1 or rmc-1. I bet those 83's blew away those bookshelfs you had lol.