The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

The Hobbit 3D, special effects were excellent

The Hobbit didn't work for me. It lacks the warmth of the book. The Fellowship of the Ring was pretty good (got off to a good start) -- the others in LOTR are less so, except for the depiction of Gollum, which was brilliant. I'm a person who sometimes finds movies to be better than the novels on which they are based.

My wifes the opposite she always points out things they left out of the film that was in the books.
Alot of my movie watching is for the good LFE. :)

They have to leave some things out, or many movies would be as long as the original 12 hour Greed. [:D]

To me, sometimes the book is better, sometimes the film. I pointed out that sometimes I prefer the film so my dissatisfaction with the film of The Hobbit would not look like the knee-jerk reaction of a book preferer.

We can all point out books that have produced inferior films, but to me, here are some instances of the film being better:

• The Joy Luck Club -- I read the book first, and liked it, but felt the movie was better in almost every way. It may have helped that Amy Tan co-authored the screenplay, giving her the opportunity to not only protect the essence of the book, but to have another go at it.
  • Ben-Hur (1959) -- Even though the book contained far more detail, the movie was less dense, and more powerful and more spiritual. Had Wyler, et. al., insisted on including the final two sentences of the novel, which were quite effective in print, the ending would have been less moving. The final line in the movie makes the point. As to the effect of the forces in the film I'm glad they relied on another modality, and let Rozsa make the point with music. By the way, HAmmer, if you like LFE, I have never experienced any more intense as the simulated earthquake at the end of the crucifixion in the 6 channel stereo magnetic 70 mm version of Ben-Hur. It shook the concrete floor of the theater, and the 24 horn loaded 15" JBL woofers that were in the Coronet in San Francisco created a breeze in the theater. And LFE was not a separate channel then! What got on the Blu-ray was pitiful.
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey was not based on the novel of the same name, rather the novel and screenplay were written together "with feedback in both directions," according to Arthur C. Clarke. Nonetheless, the movie was better in several ways, including in its powerful nonverbal communication, its leaving somethings unsaid so that people could react to the complex mythic power of the mysterious, and, of course, in its use of Zarathustra.

• 3 weeks later...

Solomon Kane: A good action movie during midevil times. Witchcraft and soccery must be fought for Solomon Kane to regain his soul. 3.5/5 stars.

I just watched this also, I liked it a lot !

Robert E.Howard created some exceptional characters in his writings, I think Soloman Kane did a better job promoting his writings than any of the Conan flicks.

• Like 1

Put your neck brace on and crank it up during the first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. You'll be looking all around your room when the bullets start flying!

I needed to rewatch that movie since I got the new sub,lol. Thanks for bring that movie back up.

Put your neck brace on and crank it up during the first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. You'll be looking all around your room when the bullets start flying!

I needed to rewatch that movie since I got the new sub,lol. Thanks for bring that movie back up.

just because I got decent (well to my standarts :)) sub now I bought BD off ebay.

S.P.R.- one of the best movies I ever seen.

• Moderators

Got this from Amazon yesterday. Incredible sound track (7.1 Dolby TrueHD) and plenty of non stop action. Highly recommend as a go to demo...Yes

Will be buying it this weekend. Fantastic movie in theaters. Can't wait to watch it in my HT.

Les Miserables ...On the stage, it did little for me. The movie was powerful and moving, with incredible (audio) dynamic range. The large orchestra used in the film made the tiny one that can be afforded for a live theater production (night after night) seem limp and puny.

Shoot 'Em Up is great! I've lost count of the number of times I've watched, even two nights in a row with two visitors. Women enjoy it more than most "shoot-'em-ups", likely because of the baby.

Also, Smith's defence of himself and the girl and the baby during the love scene could not be more macho. Taking out all those ninjas while pleasuring his lady at the same time, well, what could be manlier than that?

The Transporter (the first one, with Shu Qi) is another favourite of mine.

Also, Smith's defence of himself and the girl and the baby during the love scene could not be more macho. Taking out all those ninjas while pleasuring his lady at the same time, well, what could be manlier than that?

That is a great scene! That movie is packed with action.