The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

Just rented the gear gatsby. Haven't started it yet. Watching the previews at -10 on the main volume. And all previews are playing in stereo. All of em sounded great till the new hobbit showed. It sounded SO HORRIBLE like the speakers were distorting to death. I don't get it. What's up with movies lately and the loudness on them. I heard the new soundtrack is horrible. People blowing tweeters all over the place, headaches from watching it at -15? We have a guy here in Kansas City giving his Blu ray away for free saying he was embarrassed to own it.

to follow up in this movie, the previews made it look intriguing but I had no clue about the book or anything. It was a pretty awesome movie. It has top notch video. Beautiful, vivid colors. Lots of cool cars, and gorgeous women. And it has great audio. Not much LFE effects but the music in it is just awesome. Although there is one scene in the first party he throws where they introduce a female dancer and she comes out and starts twirling around and the music winds up and then BOOM! Some killer bass. Some of the coolest I've heard on my system. Now keep in mind at first when I heard the bass I was at -5 on the volume. But then I tried again at reference with the subs 6db hot. awesome! This movie just made it on my birthday wish list.

I heard the new soundtrack is horrible. People blowing tweeters all over the place, headaches from watching it at -15? We have a guy here in Kansas City giving his Blu ray away for free saying he was embarrassed to own it.

It sounds like they need Klipsch speakers. I can't remember the last time on this forum that someone blew a tweeter. It sounds like they have a clipping problem, lol. Most Klipsch will coast at -15 with any of the newer movies like STID, Oz, Obilivion. OHF, ect.[*-)]

It was a pretty awesome movie. It has top notch video. Beautiful, vivid colors. Lots of cool cars, and gorgeous women. And it has great audio. Not much LFE effects but the music in it is just awesome. Although there is one scene in the first party he throws where they introduce a female dancer and she comes out and starts twirling around and the music winds up and then BOOM! Some killer bass.

I agree the movie was great, kind of sad too. I do however disagree about the music. I thought it was ridiculous that they used Jay Z's music in this film that was taking place in 1922 long before rap or hip hop was even thought about. I know it was a Jay Z film but it would have been a lot better if they used more appropriate music IMO. Loved the movie, felt like the Jay Z music was totally out of place however when it was used.

It was a pretty awesome movie. It has top notch video. Beautiful, vivid colors. Lots of cool cars, and gorgeous women. And it has great audio. Not much LFE effects but the music in it is just awesome. Although there is one scene in the first party he throws where they introduce a female dancer and she comes out and starts twirling around and the music winds up and then BOOM! Some killer bass.

I agree the movie was great, kind of sad too. I do however disagree about the music. I thought it was ridiculous that they used Jay Z's music in this film that was taking place in 1922 long before rap or hip hop was even thought about. I know it was a Jay Z film but it would have been a lot better if they used more appropriate music IMO. Loved the movie, felt like the Jay Z music was totally out of place however when it was used.
well you have to keep in mind even though it was set in the 20's it still had alot of newer style music in it. i thought it was done very well. but i am also a bit younger than most on here i would say. (only 27) not a huge fan of jay z though so didnt care for his particular tracks lol.

Maybe my ears are not as good as they use to be but, at-10 to -15 all of the newer movies sound ok and no concern on blowing anything. I have all the ones that I mention and some more and enjoyed STID, Obilivion, OHF. The Hobbit was just not a great movie seeing Frodo older than he was in the LOTR series. Now Oz was loud but never distorted to make me worry about any speaker damage and it easy to adjust the volume. I don't know, I feel safe going to reference level with any of the new releases and no concern of blowing anything. The loudness war is an ongoing issue which will not be resolved soon. The only speaker that I occassionaly run hot is the sub and I am careful with that. I guess I am not as picky as those AVS boys, lol.

Maybe my ears are not as good as they use to be but, at-10 to -15 all of the newer movies sound ok and no concern on blowing anything. I have all the ones that I mention and some more and enjoyed STID, Obilivion, OHF. The Hobbit was just not a great movie seeing Frodo older than he was in the LOTR series. Now Oz was loud but never distorted to make me worry about any speaker damage and it easy to adjust the volume. I don't know, I feel safe going to reference level with any of the new releases and no concern of blowing anything. The loudness war is an ongoing issue which will not be resolved soon. The only speaker that I occassionaly run hot is the sub and I am careful with that. I guess I am not as picky as those AVS boys, lol.

well once again derrick i am talking about one movie. the new star trek. i havent watched it yet so can't speak for it. but i do know that oblivian sounded great at reference on my system. and actually i was just thumbing through my avs messages and the guy who has it is a klipsch owner. has a full rf-83 setup and he is the one who said it sounded terrible. not the one who blew any tweeters though. and yeah the avs guys can get picky. but they are the ones who are teaching more and more about his hobby. lots of techy guys over there that live around me which i am lucky for that.

I actually used my new Earthquake Supernova-12 for the movie. It performed flawlessly and put out some of the tightest bass I have ever heard. I wanted to try near field and this little sub sits about one foot behind the center listening position. What a experience! Great movie, great audio and enjoyed the 3D a lot more than I was expecting. I will try the Jerusalem scene with the SVS once I get the new receiver fully integrated. I would much rather have tried that scene with your setup Scrappy;)

• 4 weeks later...

Watched my first Blu-ray and wow, what a difference in audio! I think I'll be selling my dvd collection.

(Pioneer BDP-320 hooked up via multi-channel outputs to Outlaw 950/HK Signature 2.1)

m2194288.jpg

welcome to high definition my friend. but to me you should have noticed upgraded video quality over the audio. i have lots of good dvd's that sound great on my gear but the picture quality is sub par especially on a big projection screen.

Watched my first Blu-ray and wow, what a difference in audio! I think I'll be selling my dvd collection.

(Pioneer BDP-320 hooked up via multi-channel outputs to Outlaw 950/HK Signature 2.1)

m2194288.jpg

welcome to high definition my friend. but to me you should have noticed upgraded video quality over the audio. i have lots of good dvd's that sound great on my gear but the picture quality is sub par especially on a big projection screen.

I have a Toshiba 34" crt 720p/1080i, so I'm assuming that's why I didn't notice any video change.

I still can't get over how the sound came alive switching from the dvd version of this movie to Blu-ray.