The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

I Frankenstien has the feel of the Underworld series. It has a new twist on the old story. This is a good rental and maybe a keeper. I have a feeling this will be the start of a good series. Some decent LFE, not ultra low but, goes well with the film.

• Like 1

The Desolation of Smaug: Much better than The Legend Of Hercules. This is a long movie and a 1/2 hour could have been cut for me. This one is a good rental.

I'm a big Tolkien fan. Read all the books, watched several versions of the Hobbit. This movie was a bit of a let down for me. I haven't researched it but I'll bet it was originally meant for 3D. There's too many scenes where it looks like the cinematography was geared toward an effect as opposed to telling the story. I also agree on it being a little long in the tooth.

• Like 1

The Desolation of Smaug: Much better than The Legend Of Hercules. This is a long movie and a 1/2 hour could have been cut for me. This one is a good rental.

I'm a big Tolkien fan. Read all the books, watched several versions of the Hobbit. This movie was a bit of a let down for me. I haven't researched it but I'll bet it was originally meant for 3D. There's too many scenes where it looks like the cinematography was geared toward an effect as opposed to telling the story. I also agree on it being a little long in the tooth.

+1 - I love action but when the laws of physics are completely out the window (floating down rapids, making sniper perfect bow shots while jumping dwarf head to drawf head), it became distracting. It felt like effects were being forced over the story to me as well.

I LOVED the Smaug diaglogue at the end, the SW 115 blended so well (with the Rf7ii's) it FELT like there was a large creature dialoguing in the room. That made me smile!

My room is still studs and subfloor only above, so when the kiddo is down there is only so much volume that can be added at this point. Hopefully in the next 8-10 weeks we'll button it up!

I LOVED the Smaug diaglogue at the end, the SW 115 blended so well (with the Rf7ii's) it FELT like there was a large creature dialoguing in the room. That made me smile! My room is still studs and subfloor only above, so when the kiddo is down there is only so much volume that can be added at this point. Hopefully in the next 8-10 weeks we'll button it up!

Sounds like a good HT is going to be even better!

Pompeii 2014 movis is a hump day rental for $1.20 cents. It missed the mark of a great film like Gladiator. The Grandness of Popeii was missed and the soundtrack was lacking. LFE was mediocre. I would like to give this movie a B but, B would be the grade of the movie. I could have spent time watching Mary Poppins. It would have had better LFE than this movie. Now, I will say something good about the movie.........;

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

I Frankenstien has the feel of the Underworld series. It has a new twist on the old story. This is a good rental and maybe a keeper. I have a feeling this will be the start of a good series. Some decent LFE, not ultra low but, goes well with the film.

I just watched this on bluray today. Not my cup of tea by the label although it was pretty darn good! Not sure how long it was although seemed just right. We rented the 3d version and didnt pull the glasses out yet i can see how all the flames would shoot out and envelope kids if their into 3d. It was a new spin on the Frankenstien that i actually enjoyed. My wife did as well. Will say she's the one that picked it out along with 4 more that im not sure about. cheers

I was look at the LF conten thread and Pompeii has some good LF in the movie. I am wondering about my Redbox Rental. The LF content was not present in my copy.

A lot of Redbox and Netflix discs are having the sound replaced with DD Pro Logic. I guess they get them cheaper of some shit.

I was look at the LF conten thread and Pompeii has some good LF in the movie. I am wondering about my Redbox Rental. The LF content was not present in my copy.

A lot of Redbox and Netflix discs are having the sound replaced with DD Pro Logic. I guess they get them cheaper of some ****.

Looks like Redbox revenue has been on the down swing........

Redbox to Close Over 500 Kiosks This Year

From AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532989/redbox-to-close-over-500-kiosks-this-year

"Also, many rental titles have hobbled audio tracks—lossy Dolby Digital instead of lossless DTS-HD Master Audio or even 2-channel instead of 5.1 or 7.1—which is unacceptable to enthusiasts. Apparently, Redbox is preparing to renegotiate its deals with the studios this fall, and I can only hope that they are able to lift these limitations."

Edited by Tasdom

Thanks for the info Tasdom. I have been to this thread for a couple of days. I was so curious, I rented Pompeii from Family Video which had the DTS Mastered version. Lot of boom the second time around. I was fixing a picture frame that fell off the wall last night while watching the movie.

The Monuments Men was an excellent watch. Nothing real exciting visually or audibly but love the story and the real people behind it. Watched Metallica's Into the Never and that gave the system a real nice workout. Very well mixed and recorded. I had it at concert levels!

Boy do perceptions and tastes differ! Keeps it interesting. We saw I Frankenstein the other night and both of us gave it a thumbs down. Maybe the producers will give Frankie another chance but a sequel does seem unlikely. On a positive note, some of the special effects were good.

Boy do perceptions and tastes differ! Keeps it interesting. We saw I Frankenstein the other night and both of us gave it a thumbs down. Maybe the producers will give Frankie another chance but a sequel does seem unlikely. On a positive note, some of the special effects were good.

I didn't think it was that bad but you have to appreciate it for what it is.