The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

It bottomed out on of my DTS-10's. I think it's pretty stupid for the mixing engineer to do this infrasonic overload like that. I have operated my Danleys without the recommended highpass filter at about 12 Hz for Godzilla, the Flight of the Phoenix plane crash, Tron, etc. without any trouble at all near reference volume (where stuff vibrates in the next room). But the nasty sound they made was not a happy one at the beginning of this movie. They subs are fine, but that is frikkin ridiculous and not funny for an idiot to do that to us. Totally unnecessary for the movie's impact. Shame on that guy who did that. thank goodness my level was 10 db lower than normal, otherwise I might be replacing drivers to the tune of $360 each time four. Jerk. I would fly to L.A. and personally kick his a$$ over that crap.

It's like hey, let me try and fry everyone's subwoofer just for fun. I'm still mad about it, can you tell?

Hell I easily bottom out both Ultimax 18's of mine in a super nasty way with the intro of Transformers 4. I can also do it when Lady Justice gets built in the Metallica movie.

The dumbest sub mix I've heard in awhile is the latest 300 movie. There's all kinds of sub material, during stupid knife fights. The director was apparently like, oh, somebody got stabbed... time to send a few thousand watts to the subs for the effect, then repeat it a few seconds later. Really stupid sounding, although I didn't notice any damaging subsonic stuff.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Last night I watched "12 years a slave". I wasn't exactly moved. It may be cool as a documentary if I knew it was historically accurate, but as an embellished hollywood version of a true story I thought it fell pretty flat. There was no climax or revenge elements, nothing shocking other than people getting whipped, some of the acting and most of the vocabulary was unrealistic, just didn't enjoy it much. Truly don't understand the awards from a film perspective, only based on the subject matter, which is no reason to give out the awards that it received in my opinion.

Watch D'Jango unchained.  They get some revenge and it is well done.  The little German guy in the movie is great.

He will be forever the Jew hunter to me lol. Every time I see him I think of Inglorious Bastards. Oh and I agree, D'Jango was a good movie.

Edited by Vital
  • Like 2

Watch D'Jango unchained.  They get some revenge and it is well done.  The little German guy in the movie is great.

Loved that movie. That guy is a great actor for sure. It was very easy to fall in love or really hate the people in the movie.  Don't think I have ever been so happy seeing someone get killed in a move before lol. 

• Like 1

Last night I watched "12 years a slave". I wasn't exactly moved. It may be cool as a documentary if I knew it was historically accurate, but as an embellished hollywood version of a true story I thought it fell pretty flat. There was no climax or revenge elements, nothing shocking other than people getting whipped, some of the acting and most of the vocabulary was unrealistic, just didn't enjoy it much. Truly don't understand the awards from a film perspective, only based on the subject matter, which is no reason to give out the awards that it received in my opinion.

I agree. The main character was a first class citizen and he got screwed big time. The African girl is really pretty, but she didn't do much acting (Academy nomination, really?) other than be a rape and whipping victim.

Loved that movie. That guy is a great actor for sure. It was very easy to fall in love or really hate the people in the movie.  Don't think I have ever been so happy seeing someone get killed in a move before lol. 

I saw it at the theater. I'm a fan of Quentin Tarantino, but he is on the low side of mediocrity as an actor. I like it so much, I bought it. My main issue is when the sister gets shot near the end, she get pulled back 90 degrees from a pistol shot, as though the was shot from the front with a 10 gauge shotgun, so that was too fake.

Samuel L. Jackson is one of my favorite actors, one of the most versatile for sure for so many movies. He makes a geat Nick Fury in the Avengers too. I guess everyone likes to work with Tarantino or Rodriguez. Couple of down to earth guys, I imagine.

He could have used one of PWK's BS buttons when he was on Letterman (?) saying that any actor that says they don't like to see themselves on the big screen is a liar (BS), as he said everyone likes to see themselves up there. LOL.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 2 weeks later...

26359246128_p0_v2_s260x420.jpg

and...

aba628acaf534c4cbe24e94eade94eb9.jpg

Both    :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:  ...oh, and BTY, neither film is a comedy. Dunno where some reviewers come up with that crap, but in either case, it's not even close. Both seriously thought provoking, shot well, and with great sound tracks.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

I watched Edge of Tomorrow just to see the what all the talk was about. The movie starts with a very nasty sine wave that sets the tone for the rest of the show. It is a decent rental but, not as good as Obivion, with Tom Cruise. I starte the movie 5 below deference to make sure I would not bottom out a driver. Then I started out the movie a 2nd time at reference to fully enjoy the opening. :)

That opening is a bit alarming, I have never heard that much output from my F20s. I wonder how many subs it as killed.

Good flick.

many. There is a whole thread about it on Avs. Lol. Poor subwoofers.

We watched it tonight. While I'm not sure what the point was, it was kind of fun. I popped it in and the conversation went something like:

me: Yeah the intro of this is supposed to give your subs a good workou.....

subs: BRRAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

me: Yeah, there it is...

subs: BUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPP....

me: Well that's interesting, I didn't know that wall had so many rattles in...

subs: FFFTTTTHHHPPPTHTHTPPPHPPPPPP

subs: flap flap flap flap flap flap whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh

me: ugh.

• Like 1

Did nobody else realize that the Edge of Tomorrow movie is basically GroundHog Day, except with guns and aliens?  Seriously, it's the same exact concept but with a different goal.  

Both Bill Murray and Tom Cruise start at the beginning of the same day, everything happening exactly the same, with other people having no memories of it.  

Both try to prove what's going on by acting like a psychic, Bill in the scene below, as compared to knowing people's middle names, second grade teachers, "how many fingers am I holding up" with Tom Cruise.  

Both have died numerous times in many different fashions.  

Both memorize highly elaborate steps to better their situation because they know what motions other people will take, Tom back in headquarters vs. Bill stealing money from the armored vehicle for example.  

Both fall in love with the girl that they're stuck in the loop with.  

etc., etc., etc.  Groundhog Day with guns.  And aliens.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Did nobody else realize that the Edge of Tomorrow movie is basically GroundHog Day, except with guns and aliens?  Seriously, it's the same exact concept but with a different goal.  

Not in as many details, but yeah I noticed that too.

He will be forever the Jew hunter to me lol. Every time I see him I think of Inglorious Bastards. Oh and I agree, D'Jango was a good movie.

Vital I have not seen you for a while.  It is great to see you posting again!

Hey buddy, yeah I've been caught up doing other stuff, I read here all the time but don't post as much as of late. Had a second child three weeks ago so with a 22 month old and a 3 week old, things are busy! haha Good to see you as well!

Did nobody else realize that the Edge of Tomorrow movie is basically GroundHog Day, except with guns and aliens? Seriously, it's the same exact concept but with a different goal.

Both Bill Murray and Tom Cruise start at the beginning of the same day, everything happening exactly the same, with other people having no memories of it.

Both try to prove what's going on by acting like a psychic, Bill in the scene below, as compared to knowing people's middle names, second grade teachers, "how many fingers am I holding up" with Tom Cruise.

Both have died numerous times in many different fashions.

Both memorize highly elaborate steps to better their situation because they know what motions other people will take, Tom back in headquarters vs. Bill stealing money from the armored vehicle for example.

Both fall in love with the girl that they're stuck in the loop with.

etc., etc., etc. Groundhog Day with guns. And aliens.

yeah I figured it would be like that before I even saw it just by judging the title.