The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

Metropolis, firstly the images used by any streaming service are far more compressed than you get on Gou-Ray Cyrus marks a compromise in image quality or a possible increase in artifacts. Even thought the images have the same number of pixels they won't have the same level of detail. Secondly, and more appropriate to this forum; there are no streaming services that stream lossless audio. Netflix streams in DD 5.1 instead of the more common DTSHD-MA 7.1 that most Blu-Rays employ. The difference between the two formats is night and day. If you've made significant investments in your hi def home theater and you aren't taking advantage of this bump in quality then you are throwing money away, in my opinion.

I was specifically talking about Pink's concert.  I have a fiber optic connection straight to my house so I can stream rather well.  I have several concert blu rays including Kenny Chesney, the Rolling Stones, Phantom of the Opera, Dave Matthews, and Sheryl Crow, so I'm familiar with what is normal with them.  Pink's concert on NetFlix is every bit as good in my opinion, especially in terms of picture quality.  The only concert blu ray I've seen that really takes advantage of what blu ray has to offer is Metallica's Through the Never.  That is also on Netflix so I can directly compare as I have watched the streaming version as well as the blu ray dozens of times.  Yes it loses quite a bit of LFE while streaming.  The other ones I've seen just aren't anywhere near on this level though, they spent millions on this movie.  Typically concert movies are only 5 channel and not really any super low bass so they waste some of the benefits of blu ray.  

Anyway, watch Pink's concert sometime, it really is nice looking.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

"Boyhood" last night. It was neat watching that guy grow up. Kinda felt a bit depressing in a nihilistic way though. It's one of those that got rave reviews at Sundance among artsy movie folks so if you're anything like me that means much of the underlying themes went over your head.

The last Blu-Ray I officially watched start to finish was Justice League: Throne of Atlantis. However I had just set up my Onkyo TX-NR636 and had the Phase Matching Bass setting no, not fully understanding it's purpose. This caused the entire system to be far too boomy and really damaged the presentation. I plan to watch it again after I get my front stands put up and my mains re-positioned.

The last Blu-Ray I officially watched start to finish was Justice League: Throne of Atlantis. However I had just set up my Onkyo TX-NR636 and had the Phase Matching Bass setting no, not fully understanding it's purpose. This caused the entire system to be far too boomy and really damaged the presentation. I plan to watch it again after I get my front stands put up and my mains re-positioned.

Start a thread in the HT section and help is on the way. :)

Start a thread in the HT section and help is on the way. :)

No need. I researched the issue and realized the function was unnecessary. Once is was disabled the boominess subsided. We have been watching plenty of TV of late but I have yet to put another disc in. I ordered some stands for the fronts to get them off my TV stand, as they were making it look crowded. This has nothing to do with sound and is all abouy the aesthetics of the room.

I threw in Tron: Legacy the other day to give my new system a run. Man, that film looks and sounds great!

orobably my favorite demo disc ever. Killer LFE

I moved the crossover on my speaks down to 70Hz and the LFE really sits low and clean now. It has this great, synthesized buzz on that soundtrack that's perfect for the film. Excellent sound design.

I threw in Tron: Legacy the other day to give my new system a run. Man, that film looks and sounds great!

Tron would be a lot cooler if it didn't have to second guess which aspect ratio it should be display in several times during the movie. As soon as something cool happens I've got content displaying over the top of my screen's frame. Aggravating. Hopefully with 2.35 screens becoming more popular movie makers will stop that nonsense soon.

Rented Gone Girl with Ben Affleck last night. Rosamund Pike is a gorgeous actress but really shines as the psycho bi-polar wife.

m4_VdQUf43xC2-o1ILDPqtw.jpg

We watched that a week or so ago also.  I loved it.  Great plot twists.  We also saw "The Judge" last weekend.  Predictable plot but great acting.  I enjoyed that as well.

Tron would be a lot cooler if it didn't have to second guess which aspect ratio it should be display in several times during the movie. As soon as something cool happens I've got content displaying over the top of my screen's frame. Aggravating. Hopefully with 2.35 screens becoming more popular movie makers will stop that nonsense soon.

There is a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie that states the shifting aspect ratio is to preserve the IMAX presentation. The 1:85 segments are the scenes that were processed for IMAX projection. This is still technically incorrect as the IMAX scenes were formatted for 1:78. A native 2:35 projection would necessitate the use of the non-IMAX print of the film, which does not represent the film makers vision for the presentation.

Wonder if psycho bi-polar wife would like this movie?

Rented Gone Girl with Ben Affleck last night. Rosamund Pike is a gorgeous actress but really shines as the psycho bi-polar wife.

m4_VdQUf43xC2-o1ILDPqtw.jpg

We watched that a week or so ago also. I loved it. Great plot twists. We also saw "The Judge" last weekend. Predictable plot but great acting. I enjoyed that as well.

There is a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie that states the shifting aspect ratio is to preserve the IMAX presentation. The 1:85 segments are the scenes that were processed for IMAX projection. This is still technically incorrect as the IMAX scenes were formatted for 1:78. A native 2:35 projection would necessitate the use of the non-IMAX print of the film, which does not represent the film makers vision for the presentation.

It still sucks.  Batman did it, supposedly Guardians of the Galaxy did it too.  I think it is silliness, it screws over all the cool kids with a 2.35 screen.  

It still sucks.  Batman did it, supposedly Guardians of the Galaxy did it too.  I think it is silliness, it screws over all the cool kids with a 2.35 screen.  

The dark night did it. I don't remember Guardians doing it. When used with native Imax footage as in the case of The dark Knight it can really show the power of filming on that large stock. If you were to chop that up it would really lose the effect. The cool kids with the 2:35 screens are going to be kicking themselves with all the 16:9 content on TV any so I don't spend too much time beign concerned with their feelings.  ;)