The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

The cool kids with the 2:35 screens are going to be kicking themselves with all the 16:9 content on TV any so I don't spend too much time beign concerned with their feelings.   ;)

I watch 16:9 content on my 2.35 screen all the time, as does everybody else. It's fine, you press a button and the projector zooms. Switching back and forth, not so much. Watching one that switches, but in a way that doesn't display over the top of your frame, means that during the 2.35 scenes, instead of it taking up your whole screen, you have black bars on both the top and bottom as well as the left and right. Might as well have a dinky TV from Wal-Mart at that point.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The cool kids with the 2:35 screens are going to be kicking themselves with all the 16:9 content on TV any so I don't spend too much time beign concerned with their feelings.   ;)

I watch 16:9 content on my 2.35 screen all the time, as does everybody else. It's fine, you press a button and the projector zooms. Switching back and forth, not so much. Watching one that switches, but in a way that doesn't display over the top of your frame, means that during the 2.35 scenes, instead of it taking up your whole screen, you have black bars on both the top and bottom as well as the left and right. Might as well have a dinky TV from Wal-Mart at that point.

So you take 16:9 content and zoom it in to fill a 2:35 aspect? Doesn't that fundamentally alter the framing of the image?

So you take 16:9 content and zoom it in to fill a 2:35 aspect? Doesn't that fundamentally alter the framing of the image?

No you zoom it out so that vertically it is the same size.  This is washed out but it looks like the below image. Ideally you'd have masking to cover up the side bars but when the lights are out you can't tell all that much.  If you zoom it in then you get the original problem I mentioned, content gets thrown over the top of your frame, which is what sucks about Tron.  You've got a nice little movie going on then it suddenly decides to grow on you.  

PlatteKloof%20Updated%20projector.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

According to the article below, everything is switching back to 16:9 now.  Grrrrr.  Confusing.  I'm not sure I agree, most all real nice and modern movies are 2.35.  Usually only older movies have 16:9.  I can't think of a new release high budget action movie that is in 16:9.  

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2013/07/are-2-35-films-really-more-cinematic-today/

I think much of it has to do with TV programming being in 16:9. It's possible research has found that people spend more time watching TV then movies on Blu-ray or other media that would make use of the 2:35 framing. And there are still quite a few films that are shot flat (1:85) as opposed to scope. Most big blockbusters are shot in scope but you still get a lot of smaller films that choose to shoot flat for a more intimate feeling.

According to the article below, everything is switching back to 16:9 now. Grrrrr. Confusing. I'm not sure I agree, most all real nice and modern movies are 2.35. Usually only older movies have 16:9. I can't think of a new release high budget action movie that is in 16:9.

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2013/07/are-2-35-films-really-more-cinematic-today/

of course movie theaters aren't gonna build 2.35 screens only. They want the best of both worlds. And the best of both worlds is to just have a huge *** screen wall to wall floor to ceiling and mask each ratio. There are guys in this forum that have done that. My screen is 138" in 2.35 and 111" in 16x9. 111" Is PLENTY big enough to watch TV on from 12' away. I enjoy the much more cinematic effect of a 2.35 movie zooming out for the full width of my room almost.

Picked this up at BB yesterday for 16.99 bluray. Highly recommend this if you like jazz. Very intense with a nice twist at the end. Audio was great coming through the Klipsch. I actually watched it twice and it was better second time around.

I wanted to see that when it was making the rounds but it just got by me. I really enjoy watching J.K. Simmons work so I'll be looking for this one once it hits the VOD services.

Picked this up at BB yesterday for 16.99 bluray. Highly recommend this if you like jazz. Very intense with a nice twist at the end. Audio was great coming through the Klipsch. I actually watched it twice and it was better second time around.

Brilliant movie, absolutly loved it. Also watched Rock of Ages with the wife on Friday, really liked it too, and I'm NOT a musicals guy. Just plain fun. Been singing 80s since, lol.

A walk among the tombstones. Real nice picture for projectors, inky blacks but nice shimmery whites at the same time. Some of these dark nighttime detective type movies seem to have too many earth tones for details and it makes me squint. I liked this one, the lighting was nice, almost as if the director actually gave a crap about how it looked.

How is the latest transformers movie. We just rented it to watch saturday.

don't get too hyped about it. i try not to that way i don't expect awesome and then get disappointed. however it was my favorite of them all. and the LFE in the first few minutes is awesome. so king of the ultra's crank away!!

How is the latest transformers movie. We just rented it to watch saturday.

It's awful, nothing really feels right. Nothing tops the first Transformers, the second one was close.

Watched The Mockingjay last night. Thought it was the best of the 3 so far (and I've read the books, and felt just the opposite - prefered The Hunger Games to Catching Fire and Mockingjay). Had some really nice LFE moments, but overall, I thought it had the series best acting.

Edited by Rowan611