The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

How is the latest transformers movie. We just rented it to watch saturday.

It's awful, nothing really feels right. Nothing tops the first Transformers, the second one was close.

I don't know about all that.  The last one was when they finally got the subwoofer material right.  Plus the story line wasn't quite as stupid and it was pretty projector friendly.  I didn't like the character development as much but the effects were cooler.  Biggest thing that sucked about the last one is that all the cool autobots except Optimus and Bumblebee were killed off, so you were left with some weird Egyptian robot and that annoying old radio thing with crazy hair, everything else was forgettable.  Personally I really liked Lockdown in every way, he was badass.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

How is the latest transformers movie. We just rented it to watch saturday.

It's awful, nothing really feels right. Nothing tops the first Transformers, the second one was close.

I don't know about all that.  The last one was when they finally got the subwoofer material right.  Plus the story line wasn't quite as stupid and it was pretty projector friendly.  I didn't like the character development as much but the effects were cooler.  Biggest thing that sucked about the last one is that all the cool autobots except Optimus and Bumblebee were killed off, so you were left with some weird Egyptian robot and that annoying old radio thing with crazy hair, everything else was forgettable.  Personally I really liked Lockdown in every way, he was badass.  

I agree Lockdown was badass. I didn't connect for me. I guess I wanted something similar to the first one, that I loved. All the digital transformations were wierd and the story was wierd. Also, I wanted more Dinobots!! I love the friggin dinobots and I wanted to see them kick more ***. I also don't like how they introduced them, would rather have seen them created. But, allas I'm not a Hollywood film director, just a movie lover. I do own Extinction, but I honestly bought it for the awesome Steelbook.

I agree Lockdown was badass. I didn't connect for me. I guess I wanted something similar to the first one, that I loved. All the digital transformations were wierd and the story was wierd. Also, I wanted more Dinobots!! I love the friggin dinobots and I wanted to see them kick more ***. I also don't like how they introduced them, would rather have seen them created. But, allas I'm not a Hollywood film director, just a movie lover. I do own Extinction, but I honestly bought it for the awesome Steelbook.

As for the story line, all of them have a really dumb recurring theme, basically you have this small object that the fate of the world relies upon and it has to be moved.  Instead of them putting the object in an armored autobot that is really fast, they give it to slow unprotected humans to move it on foot while the autobots follow them and shoot stuff.  It's about the dumbest thing ever, and they've done it at least 3 times out of 4 movies.  I just can't remember what the fourth one was.  Can't think too hard about these things, the effects is the only reason it's worth watching.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 4 weeks later...

Gravity: Diamond Luxe Edition.

It was fun to watch the new Atmos (lossless) mix at home― via 5.2.2. Visually the movie always took advantage of a 360° environment― with rotating-tumbling actors & the long flyby shots zooming across the screen filled with debris & chaos. Now the audio track contributes (even more) to the 360° environment with the new Atmos mix. In space there is no such thing as "up or down" & likewise, the new Atmos track effectively surrounds you. I even appreciated the uneasy quiet moments, as the "stillness" of space was interrupted by the dialog & the sound effects that precisely bounced around the room. It brought a smile & really elevated the movie (no pun intended).

Also included with this set, is the new "Silent Space" version― which eliminates the movies score (presented in 5.1 Dolby― not Atmos). For me it worked as a fresh unique approach, but the absence of the score really changed the feel of the movie. It was a far more intimate (almost a first person) experience that further highlighted the claustrophobic & isolation aspect. They say in space no one can hear you scream― with the Silent Space version― no one can hear the "score" (lol). The Silent Space presentation is lossy, I wish it had been an Atmos lossless track, but it never once crossed my mind while actually watching. I still enjoyed it very much, it will be interesting to see more films experiment with this approach in the future.

I am disappointed that a 3D version was not offered in this release. I own the earlier 3D release (5.1 DTS-HD MA) which obviously is quite excellent, but it would have been outstanding to experience a 3D Atmos version. The thought of a 3D Silent Space version with Atmos would be eerie & creepy in a good way, but sadly that will have to wait for another day. The addition of those configurations would have made for the perfect re-release, especially since this is already a double dip for me. But for what it is... (as an Atmos early adopter) it was a must have & I enjoyed both of the new versions that were presented. As a bonus, there are a ton of new Special Features with the second disc, but I've yet to get to any of them yet. Transformers AoE, Expendables 3 & John Wick were all great Atmos editions (especially John Wick)... but the Gravity Diamond Luxe release is a demo-worthy experience all around. Loved it. I'm going to watch it again tonight.

post-60708-0-38620000-1428196412_thumb.j

post-60708-0-02060000-1428196426_thumb.j

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

Interstellar: a decent rental that may be really cool in 3D.  I had the shakers on for this one so I am not sure how good the ULF effects are.  The way the shakers were going off, I would think the ULF was great.  The shakers even went into protection a couple of times with long action sequencies.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

Interstellar: a decent rental tha tmay be really cool in 3D.  I had the shakers on for this one so I am not sure how ggd the ULF effects are.

I gotta check this out :)

Watched battleship tonight and it just got better and better. By the end the low freeq was very well done. Not the best but very well done

Who watchs Blu-rays any more ?

It's equivilent to a VHS tape when dvd/ blu-ray is on the shelf.

Digital is todays world ... even Red box is smart enough to see it coming , they just pulled out of canada

The movie rental and purchasing world will soon come to an end

Digital is todays world ... even Red box is smart enough to see it coming , they just pulled out of canada

Most all of us on this thread who want superior picture & sound to digital!!!

• Like 2

I agree with Sancho ...while steaming is convenient.

For the best quality bluray is still king . this may change in the future...... But for now I'll stick with my player. Boxerjake ...... It's getting there but not yet

Edited by oldred
  • Like 1

this is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Enjoy your digital junk. Blu Ray is superior in EVERY way! Gotta pay to play. Some of us have spent more money on speakers than others. My setups deserve the very best. I stream stuff on my 32" in the bedroom on my tv speakers. But that's it
  • Like 2