The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

Blu-ray discs are by far the best medium for video and sound quality, still.

Very recent BD's can be found at your local Value Pawn and Cash America for less than $7.00 and many less than $5.00.  Even Target will often mark down semi recent titles to $5.00.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

PS : The gotta pay to play comment is the funniest thing i've ever read .. My Focals are worth more then your entire signature x2

Now why would you come on here and make comments like that? It hurts your credibility with childish comments like that. Maybe go back and edit that part out????

I don't need any credibility on the klipsch forum ... I've been on the forum  since day one under at least 4 different user names , every 5 or so years i drop back in only to find the forum revamped and my account gone . So i start over again and laugh at the comments directed towards whats preceived as a newbie

Bought my first Klipsch in 1978 ... still have 2 pairs of k-horns , belles , LaScala's , Cornwalls and heresey , although most is relished to the garage or the cottage system  now .

With smart tv being the norm in todays market place , pretty well all are equiped with USB ports , hence i leave a 3 TB WD hard drive pluged in containing thousands of movies which are basicly at my fingertips through a menu sort . No need to rifle through stacks of jewel cases .

I said i don't buy them or rent them , did'nt say i don't copy their files

Its cool.  :D I was just saying no need to trash other peoples setup. But FYI, and sounds like you know Klipsch products, Scrappy doesnt exactly have a low end setup. 

I do need to catch up to the times and feel a hard drive is the way to go. I agree with those dang cases, pain in the arse.

With smart tv being the norm in todays market place , pretty well all are equiped with USB ports...

Since cost is seemingly no object, why don't you have a media server that feeds a theater setup if you're going to do that, instead of taking a hard drive and plugging it into a TV?

i leave a 3 TB WD hard drive pluged in containing thousands of movies

Last I checked you might could fit a little over 100 blu rays on a hard drive that size, not thousands of them. I guess you've got two different setups though.

I said i don't buy them or rent them , did'nt say i don't copy their files

Piracy... it's the wave of the future.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have taken the time to assemble an impressive HT system Scrappydue , but i don't have a leg iron to klipsch .

Mains are highly modified K-horns , center is a CF-7 , rears are K-horns ,  2 subs are ksw-300 & ksw 15

Main amp is a Rotel RB -1090 (380WPC ) Center and rears handled by a Rotel RB-993 , Bass enhancement done with  pair of Audio control Phasedcoupled activators , monster cable handles the power conditioning and the Rotel RSP-985 sincs it all to life . The second channel of the RB-1090 run the second headset and a pair of Lowther drivers in the bass bin .

That 1.5 " thick cable you see on the left side of the K-horn is monster cable ME2 @ $900.00 per speaker .

This HT is one of 6 complete systems i currently run ...

As for the privacy comment , once a disc is purchased you can do with it what you want , there is no law against making a back up copy ... 90% of Blu-rays now come in a combo pack that actually gives you a Digital copy for those who don't have the software to rip a Blu-ray .

The law states you can't play or broadcast to the public .

post-58676-0-52360000-1428448287_thumb.j

Edited by boxerjake
  • Like 1

i leave a 3 TB WD hard drive pluged in containing thousands of movies

Last I checked you might could fit a little over 100 blu rays on a hard drive that size, not thousands of them. I guess you've got two different setups though  

Depends on the file size , most Blu-rays are in the  20- 40GB range in their native format ( the balance of the space is used for alternative playlist with the mpls scambled ) That size can be preserved through Make MKV .

That mkv file can be preserved or compressed through Handbrake to 3 -6 GB , all depends on how much space you want to give up to what movie ...  Preference would be given to action adeventure/ sci-fi  stuff over a disney movie  or  a  chick flick .

I have several Hard drives , they are grouped into release date  months ,  some have tons of HBO and showtime stuff like Game of thrones and SOA , some have older movies not worth any more then 2 or 3Gb of space .

Edited by boxerjake
  • Like 1

I've had 4 private messages asking what a PCA is ......   Here is the explanation

The Phase Coupled Activator technology is not new, but the Series Three is their latest version (call it the PCA3). The difference between this model and previous ones, is the ease with which signals can be passed first through a crossover network (two channel electronic crossover built into the PCA3, which is separate from the subharmonic generation circuitry) then into the subharmonic circuit. Secondly, the PCA3 has speaker level inputs. Third, the current unit has reduced the 1/8 phase shift that was a problem in older versions. The principle of operation is an assumption that very low frequencies in the original music have been lost or removed during recording and CD production. The PCA3 generates subharmonics at half the input frequency, with a sampling range from 50 - 100 Hz in the "Digital Restoration" mode. So, if the input signal were 80 Hz, you would have an output of 80 Hz and 40 Hz. By limiting the sampling range to 50 - 100 Hz, and only with stereo signals, this eliminates boominess that would occur if subharmonics were added from original frequencies at 100 - 500 Hz, and eliminates adding subharmonics to voices that are sent monophonically (the same signal in both channels, in phase) to the center channel speaker. In other words, any signal that is monophonic will not have subharmonics added to it. The separate crossover can be used to send <90 Hz frequencies (line level inputs and outputs) to a pair of powered subwoofers (one each for left and right channels), and >90 Hz (line level) to the main front left/right amplifiers (pre-outs and main-ins on a receiver can be used).

The front panel has, from left to right, the on/off power button, the subwoofer output level trim (for use with the separate crossover), a crossover/bypass button (disables the subwoofer outputs from the crossover and sends all frequencies to the main left/right), an external processor button (a tape loop), an enhancement mode/soundtrack button (filters out frequencies below 25 Hz at 18 dB/octave, i.e., "subsonic filter"), a range button (alters the sampling range to 30 -70 Hz in producing subharmonics), a digital restoration button (activates the normal range of subharmonic restoration to 50 - 100 Hz sampling), and a restoration level volume control (controls the amount of subharmonics added to the original signal, but does not affect the overall volume of the original signal passing through). Red LEDs indicate the various functions are activated.

The rear panel has, from left to right, two pairs of RCA jacks for main left/right - in/out (the subharmonics are generated in this circuit), two pairs of RCA jacks for the left/right - in/out tape loop, three pairs of RCA jacks for left/right in, left/right low pass out, and left/right high pass/full range out (these jacks are for the separate crossover network), and two sets of speaker level (maximum power 150 watts) input/ output connections (this signal is passed from the inputs to the outputs unchanged, but it is crossfed to the subharmonic generation circuits so that a pair of subwoofers can be driven from the line level outputs of the PCA3 as well).

On to the performance. We tested the PCA3 with four different powered subwoofers, two of which are servo-feedback (Velodyne F1500R and Mirage BPSS-210), the third is a passive radiator design (Velodyne VA-1012X), and the fourth is active push-pull (M&K MX-5000THX). The PCA3 worked with all four. Regardless of the sub, the PCA3 produced a noticeable addition to the VERY low end. For CDs, sometimes it was a nice effect, and at other times, irritating. It really depended on the music. I have a CD version of a Boston Symphony recording that was originally released on LP decades ago. The composition is Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Overture. The CD version (bought in 1988) definitely had some of the low frequencies removed, compared to the LP version, and I had been very disappointed with the CD. Using the PCA3 with the CD, the resulting low end was closer to what was on the LP. Keep in mind that the low frequencies from the PCA3 are generated with certain assumptions; there is no actual restoration, because the PCA3 does not really know what was in the original signal. So, the Romeo and Juliet CD with the PCA3 sounded better, but certainly distinguishable from the real thing (the actual low end on the LP). But, it was an improvement. On other CDs, such as Telarc discs, which are famous for their low frequencies, the PCA3 was too much. On one CD, we found that by adding subharmonics, the acoustic string bass began to sound like an electric bass guitar. Obviously, then, the PCA3 is not for all music, but that is why the volume control is on the unit; with it turned all the way down, there is no subharmonic addition. In any case, it is important to use good bass drivers with the PCA3. If used with less than adequate speakers, it can sound awful, and the automobile version has received some criticism because of this. Much better to use no restoration at all than to try and shove 20 Hz signals through a small inexpensive speaker. On movie sound tracks, the PCA3 fared much better. Just about every movie benefited from subharmonic addition. At 50 Hz, using the Mirage BPSS-210 sub and a 98 dB SPL, this setting on the PCA3 produced a 94 dB subharmonic at 25 Hz as measured on a real time spectrum analyzer. With the "range" setting activated, subharmonics are generated from frequencies in the 30 - 70 Hz range, which means that the factory 25 Hz subsonic filter will reduce the subharmonics of the 30 - 49 Hz originals going through (very little 15 - 24 Hz subharmonics will pass). If you have a sub which will reproduce signals in the 15 - 24 Hz range, then get a 15 Hz subsonic filter module with the unit when it is purchased. Otherwise, the stock filter module is fine.

The separate crossover network is very good. The factory setting of 90 Hz is OK for many situations, and it appears this frequency is a standard for some consumer electronic equipment that contains crossovers. We connected the crossover to subwoofers and a pair of Krix Esoterix I Mark II full range speakers, driven by a Rotel RB985 power amplifier. When the bypass switch was used, all frequencies were sent to the Krix, or alternately, the Krix received only >90 Hz signals, and <90 Hz were sent to the subs. The crossover frequency is programmable with modules obtainable from AudioControl, or you can make them yourself (instructions in the well written manual). However, if you want a different crossover frequency, we would suggest that you simply order the module with the unit when you purchase it. With the Krix full range speakers and subwoofers we used it with, a crossover frequency of about 60 Hz would have been more suitable. Since the crossover network is separate from the subharmonic generation circuitry, to use both, one would need to ru low pass out jacks of the PCA3 to the main-ins of the PCA3, and the main-outs of the PCA3 to the powered subwoofers.

In general, we feel that the subharmonic generation circuit is a nice "gadget", but the electronic programmable crossover network is much more useful and worth the three bills price just by itself. By connecting the outputs from the front left/right channel preamp to the PCA3 and then to the main amplifiers and speakers, using the crossover network, your left/right power amps will have to do less work (no power used at <90 Hz), and stereo subs (will become important with AC-3) can be utilized to drive the <90 Hz info. If you have good subs (capable of handling an intense 20 Hz), the subharmonic circuit can be revved up just for fun once in a while.

John E. Johnson, Jr.

A rear projection TV and dual Klipschorn tophat's  well above the normal listening height and a mis-matched center channel - Whhaaaaaaaaatttttt?

The DBX 120X-DS has more adjustability and fine tuning than the Audio Control PCA Series III which tends to be a one note wonder.  You need a frequency IC to change the crossover point where the DBX unit is continuously variable from 50-120Hz.  It also features fine tuning at 28, 34, 40 & 50Hz.  I used the automotive equivalent of the PCA in my car for years "The Epicenter."  Sounded decent in the car.  The Audio Control Richter Scale also has similar features.

Interstellar was strange.

I'm still waiting for the subject to get back to movies.

Derrick, I respectfully disagree with you on your comment on the daughter.  For most of the movie, my wife and I debated on whether or not he'd ever see her again and how that would happen.  Yes, there are other twists and surprises but I'm glad I didn't know that particular tid bit of information prior to watching.

• Like 3

Very recent BD's can be found at your local Value Pawn and Cash America for less than $7.00 and many less than $5.00.  Even Target will often mark down semi recent titles to $5.00.

Bill

Good tip! I have a pawn shop nearby that has 100's of BR's for 4.00 each. I stop by about every other week and grab some good deals.

Also, if you save this to your browser / favorites, you can check daily deals thru Amazon...

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?sortby=day&category=bluray

• Like 1

I've had 4 private messages asking what a PCA is ......   Here is the explanation

I can't seem to find where or why this originally came up.

The PCA3 generates subharmonics at half the input frequency, with a sampling range from 50 - 100 Hz in the "Digital Restoration" mode. So, if the input signal were 80 Hz, you would have an output of 80 Hz and 40 Hz.

aka. an Epicenter. All the cool kids in the 90's had one in their car. Worked great on some material such as bass lines on Madonna but mucked up more stuff than it helped. It was a fun toy, plus helped you cheat. In IASCA competitions everybody listened to the same CD, even for SPL, and it was mostly this jazz track with saxophones and whatnot, really no sub-bass that opened your system up, it was all fairly high bass lines. Dudes would hide the epicenter control knob and kept it flat while running a pink noise test with a frequency analyzer but then to listen or for spl they'd click the knob up. Anyway, I can't see using one for any serious 2-channel listening, and movie LFE's are already low enough. It's fun on some material though.

• Like 1

Thanks, just picked up 4 for $3 each from Pawn Shop; 1 still sealed, 2 had DVD, too, 1 had 2 Blu ray movies, & all but one had Digital Copies...

Very recent BD's can be found at your local Value Pawn and Cash America for less than $7.00 and many less than $5.00. Even Target will often mark down semi recent titles to $5.00.

Bill

Good tip! I have a pawn shop nearby that has 100's of BR's for 4.00 each. I stop by about every other week and grab some good deals.

Also, if you save this to your browser / favorites, you can check daily deals thru Amazon...

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?sortby=day&category=bluray

post-56565-0-15520000-1428513423_thumb.j

Edited by Sancho Panza