The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

It was such a visual feast, I actually watched it 3 times before I picked up on their weird religion.  I realize it's fantasy but that backstory is just as interesting to me as anything else.  

http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Cult_of_the_V8

Also look up the supposed backstory on the guitar player.  Let's just say that the mask he wears is actually mommy dearest.  Lots of freaky stuff like this embedded in this movie.  

12778992_10153778478734733_7675388637002

On first watch, I got a bit winded watching the endless road scene, especially stopping, talking and then turning around and going back.  But sometimes with a movie like this it's just too much to absorb the first time.

The level of detail that Miller put into the "world" was incredible, and the photography was amazing, hard to reconcile that this movie was out at a similar time as The Martian and yet seem to take place in the same landscape.  There was some real love that went into designing the world and its characters, the cars, the cult, and everything else.  The movie "slows down" after the first watch and allows for a lot more detail.

At a higher level, the movie is an incredible HT experience...and yet does so without one bit of spacey/sci-fi type cgi-type effects.

But at the core the conflict that I can see a lot of people having is the characterization.

Mel Gibson was awesome as the original Max.  You cannot look back and not realize that he made the series.  Even though the original was fun, The Road Warrior is who most people associate with Gibson and that was the highlight of the original 3.  The ending of that movie especially (which I won't specify, no spoilers) is the highlight of the original trilogy.

The series itself fell down at the end with the kids, the airplane and who knows WTF they were thinking and where they were going after Thunderdome.  It's unwatchable after that point, a true failure and big mistake.  As risky as Tina Turner was in the dome (and a success), the rest of the story went nowhere and was awful, imo.  

That leads us back here to Fury Road.  The way the movie begins is better than all the others, imo, all the way through the hanging hook to round out the opening act.  Immortan Joe is by far the most interesting character, and imo, Theron while she did a good job, by no means was the star of this movie.

The odd chameleon-like ability of Tom Hardy to disappear into any role he chooses to play is uncanny....almost hypnotic.  He's the star of the movie and yet for most of the movie, you don't see him as much as feel him.  The visceral effects in this movie, the sound, the red-filter color and the post-apocalyptic stress-paranoia that runs through everyone and everything is just THERE.  You are basically scared and uncomfortable for a lot of this movie.  

Things like the flaming Satriani, chroming, and incredible contrast of the hideous world vs 5 stunning beauties leaves you unsettled and unsure of anything.   Hardy brings you along on this ride, until the very end when he says his name.  And that moment you realize the movie has just begun...

The movie is a masterpiece, one that cannot be understood or appreciated without multiple viewings.  If you didn't like it much the first time, I don't recommend watching it again.  It's flawed, it's a bit long, could probably be almost prefect with 15 minutes removed and a bit more backstory added.  But the purpose I think was to not tell who Max was, but instead to show what he had become and was struggling with.  With a sequel, it will probably become even better.  But as a single movie, that is a flaw to leave so much unknown.  I give the movie 3.5 stars.

RK

Star Wars The Force Awakens:  This was a fun movie and it was nice seeing the old stars that were in the first one.  I liked the young guy and girl for a new generation of characters.  They just can't take forever to get the next movie out.

post-50685-0-56360000-1459822487_thumb.j

post-50685-0-15280000-1459822500_thumb.p

• Like 1

Star Wars The Force Awakens:  This was a fun movie and it was nice seeing the old stars that were in the first one.  I liked the young guy and girl for a new generation of characters.  They just can't take forever to get the next movie out.

They are supposed to put out a new Stars Wars every year with the "big" franchise movie every other year.

I don't own a lot of movies but I'm picking up the Blu Ray version when it comes out shortly.

• Like 1

Same here.  I liked the LFE in this movie compared to the first 3.  I never saw the 90's movies.

I loved the new star wars. Am I the only one who is upset that it's not in atmos on the Blu-ray? I saw it in atmos in theaters. I'm confused on how DTS got the rights for the Blu-ray since Dolby mastered it in atmos.

Star Wars The Force Awakens: This was a fun movie and it was nice seeing the old stars that were in the first one. I liked the young guy and girl for a new generation of characters. They just can't take forever to get the next movie out.

Rogue One will be out in December of this year... It will be the story of how the plans for the Death Star were stolen. The first teaser trailer was released today.

Here is a nice review of Star Wars from AVS.com.  Very highly rated.  I'm going to try to find it in the store somewhere this weekend, it's been out for three days now.

http://www.avsforum.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-blu-ray-review/

• 2 weeks later...

Rented and watched Hateful 8 Blu-Ray.

First I am a huge Q fan, I must admit a strong bias towards him on most things.

With that said, its becoming clear to me that although he still has great ideas, the filter needed for him to make the best possible movies no longer exists, and I'm guessing nobody is able to tell him much of anything he doesn't want to hear.

Example:  Inglorious Basterds, a very well made film, extremely exciting, yet how many times can you watch it?  It's good once or twice, has little to ooh and aah at multiple times.

Example #2:  Django.  Beautiful movie, almost flawless, except that he insisted he needed a redemption ending where somehow there's an alternate ending to what was already a great film and didn't need some ridiculous fantasy ending.  Kill the 3rd act, it's perfect. 

Example #3:  Hateful 8.  OMG.  Dude, you are way full of yourself.  Fantastic dialog, very compelling for the first hour.  Then they get somewhere, there's some interesting characters.  But then you can begin to see the wheels come off when he narrates over it and tries to get you very excited about what you missed.

Then there's the third act, which goes on way too long, even though there are some really cool compelling moments, especially any related to Samuel Jackson.

It almost felt like Jackson was given a redemption role to counter his Django character...you had to play the I hate black people character, now we'll give you a redeeming "I had white people!" character to you are judged as a self-hater (which I would never think, but I think does exist out there).

The last speech even, my friend watching with me and I both screamed at the screen "ENOUGH ALREADY!"

It just didn't go anywhere that exciting...yet it was somewhat compelling.

Simple bottom line of Hateful 8 -- An hour too long.   No filter on Q = rambling monstrosity instead of tight, cool story.  He is too full of himself at this point and I hope at some point, he realizes it and takes some editing direction from others. 

2 stars

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Superman V Batman, Dawn Of Justice:  Overall a good flick.  This one also has Dolby Atmos, DA, to add to the effects.  The development of the characters was fast and a lot of time was not wasted like in the new Fantastic Four.  Ben Affleck is a diffierent Batman than Christian Bale and does a good job.  There are two versions being rented, A regular and a Rated R version.  More violence and a longer mover in the R rated cut.

This one is not all action packed since there is a good storyline developed in the film.  There is still plenty of action in this 3 hour film. What can I say about Wonder Woman, she is one bad lady.  Overall this is an excellent film and I look forward to the next one in the series. I will most likely buy this one.

We watched that one recently, liked it so much we watched man of steel in 3d a couple nights ago.  Ben Affleck's batman is interesting but he came across as just mad at the world rather than conflicted and mysterious like the other ones.  More steroids than brains.  

• Like 1

I usually just post positive recommendations. Not this time. Do NOT bother with 'Hardcore Henry'. Violent to the point of being disgusting, no character development, no redeeming qualities whatever. It had 4 stars on Vudu and some positive critic scores on the Tomatometer so we gave it a shot on Sunday night. Did not even bother to finish it

• Like 1