The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2017 at 11:50 PM, oldred said:

hacksaw-ridge-4k-blu-ray-cover-art.jpg.87aa24e2ff1a4261702bc6b7fc59dca9.jpg

This is probably one of the most intense war movies. Good but intense.

The caption at the bottom of the cover says it all

George,

Just watched it in 4K HDR on my Samsung UN65KS9500.  Wow, Wow, Wow.  Great movie, great effects, vibrant colors, deep blacks, incredible sound.

Mel Gibson sure knows how to throw a movie together.

Bill

Dr. Strange: Another Marvel character brought to the big screen.  The movie did not portray the image I had from reading the comic/magna as a child.  His time at the monastery was the worst part of the movie.  This is a movie that I may need to re-watch to like it.  The future of the franchise is suspect. This film may have something to offer for the 3D crowd but, can't make up for the poor story line and,  lack of appropriate characters to fit the theme. Doctor Strange Poster

Image result for arrival blu ray

Really you just don't know what to expect with any movie these days.  This movie is in the vein of Interstellar, in that they took a space type movie and sci-fi and made it a hopeful, exciting, and very tense experience.  Acting is top notch and the story moves quickly and especially for the first hour, is a whirlwind of interesting fun.

For HT fans, WOW I must say this really does more than you might expect.  There are huge rumbles, crashes, humms, vibrations, a few slams, really an awful lot going on as far as LFE.   Way more than I would have expected.  And as loud as some gets, it's all under control and very well mixed.

Interstellar introduced a concept about gravity that was new and exciting to the masses, and here Arrival does a similar thing with a different element of physics.   There are some really inspired film makers out there, and this one is well worth the watch.

10 Cloverfield Lane, if the picture is not coming up I apologize. 

Another example of excellent moviemaking, excellent acting, and a story that is almost impossible to discern at first.

Is it what it appears to be, what it appears it might be, neither....or both?  The actual truth of this story makes for a great watch.

John Goodman is a rare actor who truly understands HIMSELF, and how he is viewed by the average person.

He is a big person, always capable through voice and body language of major intimidation, or major lovability, all depending upon what he wants to be.

A gifted actor perhaps if anything, held back a bit by his turn in Roseanne -- a rare thing to have one of the top hits of our time typecast someone who has a great deal more range.

The sound effects were mentioned by someone else earlier.  There is a cool and amazing HUMMMM from a generator going for much of the movie, and the reveals in this movie come at the right time, with excellent spacing.  The end is worth it.

LFE-wise, besides the hum, there are a few instances of a massive LFE build up, which I won't reveal.

The "truth" at the end of this movie makes for a very, very interesting and fun discussion. Well worth a watch.

On 9/4/2012 at 5:22 AM, liebherr954 said:

I thought this may be a fun thread to see what people are watching and give others some ideas of what to rent or buy.

Ill start with this.

Posted Image

I really enjoyed this movie excellent picture and audio, a pretty good story too.

Great movie!!!

• Like 1

MOANA

Well this was a nice movie.  There really aren't many movies made from scratch anymore with a new idea, new theme, new characters.  This was far from perfect but did a lot more well than it did poorly.  The girl who starred and sang was truly terrific and an amazing find, a "local" who came from the culture..and she had never acted before according to her.

Visually very nice, sound-wise it had a lot of loud scenes and some real good mid-bass in the form of tom-tom type drums.  Short, sweet, to the point, kids will love it.  

* * * 3 stars

HACKSAW RIDGE

I'm going to go against the grain here a bit and say that while I enjoyed the film and recommend it, I didn't love it and didn't find it to be particularly special.

What was actually quite nice for me was that instead of being a non-stop war movie with all action, it actually leaned more towards the personal side, trying to explain who the character was, his "character" (!) and where he came from.  In doing so they telegraphed a bit of what was to come.

What the movie did particularly well imo was show a different perspective of the war fighting.  We've seen the landing in Normandy, we've seen everything from Patton to Hamburger Hill before and everything in between, what is there left to show?  Well the movie found something and did it well.  The assault on Okinawa, going up the daunting ridge to a completely unclear battlefield certainly had its moments.  Well shot and with a quality audio track, I was a bit surprised how tame the sound was in this movie.

What the hero did was truly heroic, and yet if you are a big fan of movies and war movies, we've already seen all of this before.  Especially going into the tunnels -- the Vietnam war movie Tunnel Rats took this idea and showed a far scarier, far deeper experience.

But this was a true story  (as was Tunnel Rats), and a unique one at that.  My personal problem at the end was that instead of showing what he had achieved and showing him receiving an award that was extremely well-deserved, Gibson instead leaned on one scene showing them all praying and waiting for their hero to pray for them before going up the hill.  The idea was perfect, and I believe it to be true, but the execution of this portion of the movie telegraphed what was to come...the rally forward.  

Conceptually beautiful, I will complain that as an avid war movie buff this one recycled far too much and broke ground in only one interesting area.  And as fun as it was to watch Vince Vaughn attempt to move out of comedy, his need to be comedic in the role appeared to me more him being himself that actually depicting who the Sargent really was.

An excellent watch, but not one I'll feel the need to watch over and over.  

**1/2  2-1/2 stars

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE

Yes it was a movie weekend for me, this is #3.  Resurgence is the sequel to the fun original that "broke ground" in what it chose to blow up and how spectacularly it did so.  This movie starts with a lot of promise, and actually bothers to bring an attempt and cohesiveness between the movies.

The first hour or so is pretty fun, and as the movie goes along, there's a lot of alien tech shared (by a Director notorious for needing to show off, constantly).

And yet somewhere towards the end of the movie, they either ran of out money or simply couldn't think up how the movie should really end.

When I use the term "bait and switch", I don't use it lightly.   This movie creates an expectation that is massive.  Not unlike the latest Star Wars where they creation of a far bigger deathstar is somehow supposed to result in a really interesting and amazing finale....this movie actually blows that idea off completely.  It isn't clever, it isn't cool, it isn't even lame.  It is a clear case of a movie being made for the sake of being a sequel and leaving what may be a "story" to the next sequel -- if they are crazy enough to make it.

I can see why Will Smith begged off this one.  He was right to do so.  It actually had a lot of fun in it, but the unforgiveable way in which this movie concludes seals the deal as one of the bigger turds of the year.

*1/2 - 1-1/2 stars

• Like 1

Been watching PEII in 4K and also watched Patriots Day. PEII is simply outstanding, and is reference material for 4K. 

I'll admit, after the initial bombings in Boston, I didn't really follow the search for the two brothers. Not because I didn't care, I was simply too busy with a 1 year old. That said, I found Patriots Day to be a very well done movie. I enjoyed how it was paced and learning about what went into the search and all the sacrifices made along the way. The best part, as I'm sure you can guess, is all the amazing stories of the people affected by that Monday and the days following. And, how they chose to deal with and overcome what happened to them. Another great one from Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg. 

5 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Fantastic Beast: This is a take-off from the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling.  It is a fun film with lot of good special effects..  Family friendly and entertaining.Image result

Planning on picking up the 3d version tomorrow.  Looks like something we'll really enjoy.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:19 PM, derrickdj1 said:

Dr. Strange: Another Marvel character brought to the big screen.  The movie did not portray the image I had from reading the comic/magna as a child.  His time at the monastery was the worst part of the movie.  This is a movie that I may need to re-watch to like it.  The future of the franchise is suspect. This film may have something to offer for the 3D crowd but, can't make up for the poor story line and,  lack of appropriate characters to fit the theme. Doctor Strange Poster

Actually felt quite the same.  I liked the cast, but the movie in general just came up short.  The theme for too many movies these days is the destruction of the world, universe, multiverse.   Buyers remorse on this one. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, billybobg said:

Actually felt quite the same.  I liked the cast, but the movie in general just came up short.  The theme for too many movies these days is the destruction of the world, universe, multiverse.   Buyers remorse on this one. 

So you don't believe

We're on the eve

Of destruction?

• Like 1